Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

Why is Cael hated?

Recommended Posts

Being a sports (wrestling) fan... i.e. a real "fan" or "supporter" of the sport is much different that the Tribalist BS we're seeing from these Hawkeye/PSU/tOSU haters.

* A real fan of wrestling  witnesses the absurd amount of talent and achievement that Ruth, DT, Zain, Nickal, and Nolf brought to that program and are awestruck

* A real fan of wrestling witnesses the absurd amount of talent that this year's Hawkeye team had, and what Spencer is doing (in particular), and are awestruck by their achievements

* A real fan of wrestling witnesses what Logan Stieber and Kyle Snyder brought to the tOSU program, and now that there is a post-graduate exodus from their RTC, is worried and is hopeful that they can return to that state of competitivenss

* A real fan of wrestling may not like Gable Steveson's previous antics, but has been left awestruck at his talent, and what he may have the opportunity to do at the upcoming Olympic Games, and WILL root for him to win gold

* A real fan of wrestling realizes that PD3 is exactly who everyone thought he was, and wishes that he would develop some humility and appreciation for not just the sport, but really, for himself as a human being.  

Sure... I prefer tOSU.  I'm from that area of the country.  There's some semblance of tribalism there.  But... Was I still rooting to see "greatness" this weekend, regardless of their origin?  You betcha. 

Loved seeing Gilman put his stamp on the 57kg class, and representing the USA.  Loved seeing JO getting his chance to shine.  Loved seeing Dake and the potential passing of the baton.  Loved seeing DT and his workmanlike win over a VERY familiar opponent.  Loved seeing two former Buckeyes get after it, and "Captain America" emerging victorious once again.  Loved seeing Gable absolutely demolish all adversaries.  

Anyone who cries out and states otherwise only admits their tribalism.  Good luck with that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Being a sports (wrestling) fan... i.e. a real "fan" or "supporter" of the sport is much different that the Tribalist BS we're seeing from these Hawkeye/PSU/tOSU haters.

* A real fan of wrestling  witnesses the absurd amount of talent and achievement that Ruth, DT, Zain, Nickal, and Nolf brought to that program and are awestruck

* A real fan of wrestling witnesses the absurd amount of talent that this year's Hawkeye team had, and what Spencer is doing (in particular), and are awestruck by their achievements

* A real fan of wrestling witnesses what Logan Stieber and Kyle Snyder brought to the tOSU program, and now that there is a post-graduate exodus from their RTC, is worried and is hopeful that they can return to that state of competitivenss

* A real fan of wrestling may not like Gable Steveson's previous antics, but has been left awestruck at his talent, and what he may have the opportunity to do at the upcoming Olympic Games, and WILL root for him to win gold

* A real fan of wrestling realizes that PD3 is exactly who everyone thought he was, and wishes that he would develop some humility and appreciation for not just the sport, but really, for himself as a human being.  

Sure... I prefer tOSU.  I'm from that area of the country.  There's some semblance of tribalism there.  But... Was I still rooting to see "greatness" this weekend, regardless of their origin?  You betcha. 

Loved seeing Gilman put his stamp on the 57kg class, and representing the USA.  Loved seeing JO getting his chance to shine.  Loved seeing Dake and the potential passing of the baton.  Loved seeing DT and his workmanlike win over a VERY familiar opponent.  Loved seeing two former Buckeyes get after it, and "Captain America" emerging victorious once again.  Loved seeing Gable absolutely demolish all adversaries.  

Anyone who cries out and states otherwise only admits their tribalism.  Good luck with that.  

Thank you for blessing us with your presence. Try not to fall off that high horse.

The moral outrage theatre from this past weekend has been absurd. It was the TRIALS. Of course fans are going to root for wrestlers from their teams and against rival teams. 99% of fans are going to root for the Americans at the Olympics. Any attempt to pretend otherwise is the classic "make someone up in my head so I can be mad at them."

I'm a diehard Iowa fan and "hate" PSU, but in 2018 I was in a stance in my living room at 3 am while DT was scrapping with Yazdani. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Thank you for blessing us with your presence. Try not to fall off that high horse.

The moral outrage theatre from this past weekend has been absurd. It was the TRIALS. Of course fans are going to root for wrestlers from their teams and against rival teams. 99% of fans are going to root for the Americans at the Olympics. Any attempt to pretend otherwise is the classic "make someone up in my head so I can be mad at them."

I'm a diehard Iowa fan and "hate" PSU, but in 2018 I was in a stance in my living room at 3 am while DT was scrapping with Yazdani. 

You are absolutely welcome.  Glad I could help.  And yes... The fall is quite far from this perch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2021 at 5:33 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

The man is the great college wrestler ever, 159-0.  Olympic Gold medalist, American champion and wrestling hero.

So why do so many wrestling fans hate him?

Is it merely jealousy due to his success?

He seems like a very nice, humble guy.  He seems boring and non-offensive, so why do people hate him with such a passion?

 

Is it because he left Iowa State and had a double recruiting class his first year at Penn State?  I have a hard time imagining that's it since several other top coaches have done the same exact thing (move and double recruiting class).

 

Is it because of his religion? His wrestlers seem to talk about God and Jesus a lot, but he actually seldom mentions it.  Plus other coaches are way more in your face with their Christianity, so I don't think this is it either.

So why do people hate him, call him Carl, Kale or even Bael, like he is some demon spawn of Satan?

I personally don't hate him or PSU just their fan base. You can't read a forum or comment section without someone being such a homer that they can't see anything not PSU subjectively. It's not as bad in this forum as others but I want to sometimes ring the people's necks that had guys that couldn't AA winning titles just because they are a PSU starter. It wasn't like that pre Cael or titles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great link, btw. Went there and this is what I found: 

 

Site under maintenance: We are currently making enhancements and/or fixing issues. We appreciate your patience during this time, and encourage you to return here shortly. Please email sites@baschsolutions.com for any help in the interim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Great link, btw. Went there and this is what I found: 

 

Site under maintenance: We are currently making enhancements and/or fixing issues. We appreciate your patience during this time, and encourage you to return here shortly. Please email sites@baschsolutions.com for any help in the interim.

Yes, I doubt that Cael wants that blog post remembered.  Some of you may remember that back in 2012 ESPN wanted to broadcast a National Dual Championship.  At the time Cael had a 2-6-1 dual record versus Minny, Iowa, Okie St, and OH St, so he led a crusade to kill the efforts to publicize the sport nationally.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jammen said:

Yes, I doubt that Cael wants that blog post remembered.  Some of you may remember that back in 2012 ESPN wanted to broadcast a National Dual Championship.  At the time Cael had a 2-6-1 dual record versus Minny, Iowa, Okie St, and OH St, so he led a crusade to kill the efforts to publicize the sport nationally.

 

So it was a post where Cael laid out why he didn't want to participate in National Duals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jammen said:

Yes, I doubt that Cael wants that blog post remembered.  Some of you may remember that back in 2012 ESPN wanted to broadcast a National Dual Championship.  At the time Cael had a 2-6-1 dual record versus Minny, Iowa, Okie St, and OH St, so he led a crusade to kill the efforts to publicize the sport nationally.

 

All Cael said was "not interested". If others wanted to have the tournament he didn't care, he just wasn't interested in participating.

The whole idea to replace or become a portion of the ncaa championship was never going to happen. The proposal was deeply flawed in many respects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually he did more than say “not interested.” He undermined the development of the event by keeping his individual championship team home and not attending. What is the saying? “With great power comes great responsibility.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Actually he did more than say “not interested.” He undermined the development of the event by keeping his individual championship team home and not attending. What is the saying? “With great power comes great responsibility.”

You can't just decide to change things and then get all bent out of shape when smart men don't want to play along.

If your hoped for dream was worthwhile we'd be watching it happen. But we're not, because it could not pass muster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Innovation is the American way. Iteration #2 or #3 of team-based wrestling with ESPN’s backing might have been the ticket. Cael will always be known as the guy who selfishly built a dynasty while snuffing out innovation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 12:18 PM, uncle bernard said:

Thank you for blessing us with your presence. Try not to fall off that high horse.

The moral outrage theatre from this past weekend has been absurd. It was the TRIALS. Of course fans are going to root for wrestlers from their teams and against rival teams. 99% of fans are going to root for the Americans at the Olympics. Any attempt to pretend otherwise is the classic "make someone up in my head so I can be mad at them."

I'm a diehard Iowa fan and "hate" PSU, but in 2018 I was in a stance in my living room at 3 am while DT was scrapping with Yazdani. 

Holy crap...this actually was extremely funny to read.  I almost could have respected a response like this if it was from anyone except you (although I agree 100% with what treep wrote).  Sorry PDIII's dad, but you are the last person to try and preach humility and/or moral outrage to ANYONE about ANYTHING.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Because of PSU fans... thats all. Worse fan base in the country regardless of sport. 

Not even remotely true...have you attended a sporting event against an Ohio St. team??  I have watched thousands of sporting events and the worst fans overall are Ohio St. fans (sorry TheOhio dude on here...I like you, and your post crack me).  The worst wrestling fans in terms of sportsmanship and respect for their opponents fans....easily, hands down, not even close....IOWA!!!  Which is funny as I have been to many many Iowa football games both home and away and their fans are supper fun and awesome even when wearing the opposing teams gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dman115 said:

Holy crap...this actually was extremely funny to read.  I almost could have respected a response like this if it was from anyone except you (although I agree 100% with what treep wrote).  Sorry PDIII's dad, but you are the last person to try and preach humility and/or moral outrage to ANYONE about ANYTHING.

I'm sorry, but do you think I'm PDII???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 9:00 AM, dman115 said:

I have been to many many Iowa football games both home and away and their fans are supper fun and awesome even when wearing the opposing teams gear.

Hmm...you actually have supper with Iowa fans? 

I've been known to have a drink at the bar with 'em, but I draw the line when it comes to sitting down and breaking bread with 'em.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 8:18 AM, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Hmm...you actually have supper with Iowa fans? 

I've been known to have a drink at the bar with 'em, but I draw the line when it comes to sitting down and breaking bread with 'em.

No...it was meant as suupppeeerrrr....you know....drawn out to emphasize the superness of them...or...or...I can't spell worth a s#@t...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2021 at 9:37 PM, headshuck said:

Innovation is the American way. Iteration #2 or #3 of team-based wrestling with ESPN’s backing might have been the ticket. Cael will always be known as the guy who selfishly built a dynasty while snuffing out innovation.

You could have just gone at it without him, you know. 

Oh wait, you wanted to cancel culture the NCAA Tournament OR otherwise insert some crazy a$$ed formula where teams get points before the tournament even starts OR have two different championships ..... all the while with revenue sharing taking from those that can draw fans i.e. PSU and Iowa and giving to those that are weak in this area, like, cough, cough, Minnesota. 

Is it any wonder how and why your effort failed? I do not think so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...