Grecojones

Cox weigh-in update

If true then this was a weight mismanagement issue. Which is what I always suspected. Otherwise no one could explain how Cox alone out of 196 competitors screwed up the weigh in time. 

i am over all of this...

in another couple of months, most everyone will be and the only thing that will happen is that some will begin to harbor negative thoughts towards cox and that is a damn shame...

1 hour ago, LJB said:

i am over all of this...

in another couple of months, most everyone will be and the only thing that will happen is that some will begin to harbor negative thoughts towards cox and that is a damn shame...

People who are "all over" things tend to not repeatedly post about them.....

3 hours ago, Grecojones said:

According to some Facebook groups Cox actually weighed in as early as 7:24am. If true, the story we are getting was very misleading and damaging to the Cox brand and everyone involved.

In case you didn't catch it in the OP, I changed the text color to red and blew it up a tiny bit so nobody misses it...

Yes, Facebook is the source here for this "BREAKING UPDATE". Sheesh.

When will we learn that social media is mostly just garbage masquerading as useful information?

5 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

In case you didn't catch it in the OP, I changed the text color to red and blew it up a tiny bit so nobody misses it...

Yes, Facebook is the source here for this "BREAKING UPDATE". Sheesh.

When will we learn that social media is mostly just garbage masquerading as useful information?

Do you consider this forum social media?

10 hours ago, rpm002 said:

I highly doubt he weighed in at 7:24 given he arrived at the arena at 7:21.

https://news.theopenmat.com/international-wrestling/an-update-on-the-jden-cox-weigh-in-saga/80611

Not certain, but I don't think arriving at 7:21 seems consistent with thinking you need to make weight by 8AM.

No, but if you showed up at 7:21 the first thing you'd probably do is check your weight to see how much you needed to lose.  So I don't think he was actually trying to make weight at 7:24 but very plausible that he stepped on the scale

10 hours ago, rpm002 said:

I highly doubt he weighed in at 7:24 given he arrived at the arena at 7:21.

https://news.theopenmat.com/international-wrestling/an-update-on-the-jden-cox-weigh-in-saga/80611

Not certain, but I don't think arriving at 7:21 seems consistent with thinking you need to make weight by 8AM.

The scan of him going into the weigh-in room/workout room was at 7:21am. That means the first thing he did was go check his weight to see what he needed to make weight. That is perfectly normal.

Now, showing up to the arena at 7:21am means one of two things. The first is he thought he was on weight and good to go or that he thought weigh-ins were a little later so he'd have time to shed the needed weight. However, if it is the latter he should have realized pretty quickly that these were the OFFICIAL weigh-ins and question the timing there. This isn't his first time weighing in and he should have figured it out pretty quickly.

58 minutes ago, BobDole said:

The scan of him going into the weigh-in room/workout room was at 7:21am. That means the first thing he did was go check his weight to see what he needed to make weight. That is perfectly normal.

Now, showing up to the arena at 7:21am means one of two things. The first is he thought he was on weight and good to go or that he thought weigh-ins were a little later so he'd have time to shed the needed weight. However, if it is the latter he should have realized pretty quickly that these were the OFFICIAL weigh-ins and question the timing there. This isn't his first time weighing in and he should have figured it out pretty quickly.

(reposted from another thread since it is relevant here as well)

Most wrestlers were wrestling in the first session, which started at 10 and knew the deadline was 2 hours before weigh-ins.  Cox was not wrestling in that session so may have had no idea when it started, since it wasn't relevant to him, so that was a key reference point he may not have had.  Or perhaps, he did know wrestling started at 10, and since he was told he had to make weight by 8:30 or 9, he just figured the best thing to do was to go weigh in shortly after 8 when most of the other wrestlers would have left and it wouldn't be so crowded.  

I suspect you are correct that at some point in this timeline, he saw cues to indicate that other wrestlers needed to weigh in by 8, but given he had a specific later time he was told and also had a bye from the first session (and therefore had reason to believe that the times relevant to others do not apply to him), I can definitely see how he could have filtered what he saw to think others needed to hustle and weigh-in by 8, but he was OK as long as he weighed in by the deadline he believed was in place when he arrived.

Edited by rpm002

weigh in times for the olympic trials was not relevant to cox?

dude...

i'm old... out of shape... live several states away from dallas... have absolutely no dog in the hunt...

i still knew when the weigh in times were for everyone...

not much worse than an excuse maker...

2 minutes ago, rpm002 said:

(reposted from another thread since it is relevant here as well)

Most wrestlers were wrestling in the first session, which started at 10 and knew the deadline was 2 hours before weigh-ins.  Cox was not wrestling in that session so may have had no idea when it started, since it wasn't relevant to him, so that was a key reference point he may not have had.  Or perhaps, he did know wrestling started at 10, and since he was told he had to make weight by 8:30 or 9, he just figured the best thing to do was to go weigh in shortly after 8 when most of the other wrestlers would have left and it wouldn't be so crowded.  

I suspect you are correct that at some point in this timeline, he saw cues to indicate that other wrestlers needed to weigh in by 8, but given he had a specific later time he was told and also had a bye from the first session (and therefore had reason to believe that the times relevant to others do not apply to him), I can definitely see how he could have filtered what he saw to think others needed to hustle and weigh-in by 8, but he was OK as long as he weighed in by the deadline he believed was in place when he arrived.

According to Willie in his intermat article, J'den checked weight on multiple scales just before 8am and was still a little bit over. To me that indicates that someone prompted him to weigh-in since weigh-ins were closing. The thing that gets me is that he was in the weigh-in/workout area and had to have seen guys making weight and recovering. At that point you ask your coach, what time weigh-ins are if you originally thought they were from 8-8:30am.

Just now, BobDole said:

According to Willie in his intermat article, J'den checked weight on multiple scales just before 8am and was still a little bit over. To me that indicates that someone prompted him to weigh-in since weigh-ins were closing. The thing that gets me is that he was in the weigh-in/workout area and had to have seen guys making weight and recovering. At that point you ask your coach, what time weigh-ins are if you originally thought they were from 8-8:30am.

GOLD, JERRY!!!!!

GOLD!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Yes, I'm saying my post was true from 7:20 to, say, 7:50.  At that point, he figured out or was told that 8AM was the deadline, but it was too late and couldn't cut enough to make it at that point.

I think your last 2 sentences are an example of "hindsight bias".  My guess is he thought that everyone else was making weight and recovering because 8AM was the deadline for those wrestling at 10AM, but 8:30AM (the time he specifically was told, which was different because he was not wrestling in the 10AM session) was his deadline, so he was OK? 

Now that all of this happened, it is very easy to say "it should have been obvious!  how could he not realize sooner!  he was right there!" but given his unique situation of having a bye from the 1st session, I think it would have been very easy to filter everything he saw through the lens of "they have to rush, I have a bye and a later weigh-in time, I'm good" until he was specifically told otherwise, but then it was too late.

5 minutes ago, rpm002 said:

Yes, I'm saying my post was true from 7:20 to, say, 7:50.  At that point, he figured out or was told that 8AM was the deadline, but it was too late and couldn't cut enough to make it at that point.

I think your last 2 sentences are an example of "hindsight bias".  My guess is he thought that everyone else was making weight and recovering because 8AM was the deadline for those wrestling at 10AM, but 8:30AM (the time he specifically was told, which was different because he was not wrestling in the 10AM session) was his deadline, so he was OK? 

Now that all of this happened, it is very easy to say "it should have been obvious!  how could he not realize sooner!  he was right there!" but given his unique situation of having a bye from the 1st session, I think it would have been very easy to filter everything he saw through the lens of "they have to rush, I have a bye and a later weigh-in time, I'm good" until he was specifically told otherwise, but then it was too late.

You can call it what you want, it was a major blunder on J'den and KJ's parts. At events like this you triple check weigh-in times and make sure you don't screw something up that is so simple. I would be much more sympathetic if they said there was a car accident that delayed them a half hour. There are too many indications that both of them should have known better about this whole situation.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

USAW knows what happened. Why don't they say? That would end the speculation. But it also might throw heir decision into a harsh light.

Zero reason for them to publicly comment on this. Especially when Cox went on tv and talked about appeals or arbitration...I don't remember his exact words. Fans may not like it but the only thing USAW could have done and should have done is what they did...follow the rules/procedures that they established and that all the athletes had to follow. 

35 minutes ago, cwillaert said:

Zero reason for them to publicly comment on this. Especially when Cox went on tv and talked about appeals or arbitration...I don't remember his exact words. Fans may not like it but the only thing USAW could have done and should have done is what they did...follow the rules/procedures that they established and that all the athletes had to follow. 

So why not say that-- assuming it's true?