Grecojones

Cox weigh-in update

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I wouldn't care at all if you have answers-- or think you do. USAW should provide answers.

USA Wrestling declined comment on Cox’s interview, citing section 9 (“athletes’ rights”) of the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee bylaws process and protocol.

"The corporation (USA Wrestling) will, by all reasonable means, protect the opportunity of an amateur athlete to participate if selected (or to attempt to qualify for selection to participate) as an athlete representing the United States in any of the aforesaid competitions. In determining reasonable means to protect an athlete’s opportunity to participate, the corporation will consider its responsibilities to the individual athlete(s) involved or affected, to its mission, and to its membership."

Edited by red blades

2 hours ago, cwillaert said:

Needs to be a cutoff so they can redraw if they need to. Can't redraw if you let them step on the scale 30 seconds before they wrestle. People all over here arguing about the "best team".  If David Taylor didn't make weight, you'd expect them to have redrawn that weight correct?  

Wasn't his spot secured in the bracket because he was a returning medalist?

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

see above ^^^  :(

That is a total POS answer. I don't want them to respond to Cox's interview. I want them to say when Cox weighed in, why he was late and to point to a rule that forbids any deviation from weigh-in times. That's pretty easy.

Edited by NJDan

21 minutes ago, NJDan said:

That is a total POS answer. I don't want them to respond to Cox's interview. I want them to say when Cox weighed in, why he was late and to point to a rule that forbids any deviation from weigh-in times. That's pretty easy.

I’m reminded of what my dear old grand pappy used to say...

”for some people, this world ain’t ever gonna be right...”

3 hours ago, cwillaert said:

Needs to be a cutoff so they can redraw if they need to. Can't redraw if you let them step on the scale 30 seconds before they wrestle. People all over here arguing about the "best team".  If David Taylor didn't make weight, you'd expect them to have redrawn that weight correct?  

They don’t actually need to redraw the bracket. Especially for these types of small tournaments which are essentially winner take all. Someone would just get a bye now. Not a big deal. We don’t reseed if someone can’t wrestle a 2nd round match. Why do we need to just bc it’s a 1st round match?

4 hours ago, PHL said:

I don't understand why there is a hard cutoff for weighing at the senior level.

It's not like there is an advantage to making weight closer to wrestling time. If anything wouldn't you want to weigh in as early as possible so you have more recovery time?

As long as guys make weight before they step on the mat that day let them compete

People won’t accept this bc it’s not traditional and they don’t like the occasional bye. No logical arguments against it.

31 minutes ago, red blades said:

There's a new wrinkle - you need to make a rule that forbids deviations from the rules?  And then what about the rule that forbids deviation from the rule that forbids... :-D

Not at all. Some rules have discretionary language (any wrestler weighing in late may be disqualified). Others are mandatory, Even in-competition rules allow for judgment calls. If the rule is as clear as you seem to think it is, the USAW could just quote the rule. But maybe it is not so clear (as with the rule that was invoked during last chance about re-starting the clock). 

In this case, maybe it WAS possible to say that "We accept Cox's statement that his coach misinformed him and we will grant a 15-minute extension." Cases in courts of law contain permit exceptions like that routinely. Not every rule is black and white.

Edited by NJDan

You all are gonna have a long several months of disappointment...

I kinda feel a little bit bad for you all...

meanwhile...

snyder made weight when he was supposed to and is a 2X Olympian...

maybe he could take Cox as his warm up partner????

**shrugs**

I can not believe people are arguing that they should change the rules after the fact.  Anyone that has wrestled knows that there is a set time for weigh ins.  No way in H are you going to get me to believe someone as smart and experienced of a wrestler that Cox is did not know when the weigh ins were.  This is a very bad look for Cox.  JMO 

On 4/6/2021 at 12:31 PM, cwillaert said:

A: Show up and be at or under the weight you're wrestling by the posted time
B: He didn't show up at or under weight by the posted time with their not being anything in the procedures to allow for an exception for somebody being late and not on weight because they needed to show up on time and at or below the weight. 

Whoa.  That's way too complicated.  How are we supposed to process all of that?  No wonder so many people missed weight on Friday.  

On 4/6/2021 at 5:51 PM, red blades said:

There's a new wrinkle - you need to make a rule that forbids deviations from the rules?  And then what about the rule that forbids deviation from the rule that forbids... :-D

I like to deviate from speed limits every once in a while.  The POPO don’t seem to mind.

I was speaking with someone close to the situation. He said there is a difference between what really happened and what USA Wrestling & Cox have said what occurred. Out of respect I did not push my friend for specific details. I don’t think this information will surprise anyone reading this. 

55 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

I was speaking with someone close to the situation. He said there is a difference between what really happened and what USA Wrestling & Cox have said what occurred. Out of respect I did not push my friend for specific details. I don’t think this information will surprise anyone reading this. 

You can find all the details & answers on pg 40-42 on the other thread.  ;)

Edited by ionel

57 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

giphy.gif

Mineo shared this...

During Cox petition it has been revealed that he received email communication and messages with a full schedule/itinerary that included weigh in’s prior to the event AND he opened this communication- which in today’s day and age, is easy to verify.

This, coupled w/ the fact that he was at weigh-ins bright and early and stepped on the scale half a pound over at first, is very telling. Too much blame being put on Coach Kevin Jackson right now, IMO- it’s become a bit of a mess. Yes he is a part of it, but this is J’Den’s job!!

Cox and company trying to hold onto the fact that JB missed weight at 2019 final X and was allowed to wrestle anyway (I know, crazy)

Now being revealed he weighed in at 7:24am and was over, 8:00am and was over... Made it at 8:13am... Weigh ins ended at 8am. In a nutshell, he’s not gonna win this arbitration.

Yes. It’s over man. The whole “didn’t know what time” thing has now been unraveled. Sadly..

Edited by jross

2 hours ago, jross said:

Mineo shared this...

During Cox petition it has been revealed that he received email communication and messages with a full schedule/itinerary that included weigh in’s prior to the event AND he opened this communication- which in today’s day and age, is easy to verify.

This, coupled w/ the fact that he was at weigh-ins bright and early and stepped on the scale half a pound over at first, is very telling. Too much blame being put on Coach Kevin Jackson right now, IMO- it’s become a bit of a mess. Yes he is a part of it, but this is J’Den’s job!!

So is it now USAW's fault for not hand delivering those messages instead of relying on email?

Who cares about updates on Cox's weigh-in. Now that the dust is settling I want updates on the damage he did to all the BBQ joints before and after this fiasco. Word on the streets is that there is no brisket left in a 10 mile radius of Fort Worth.