Sign in to follow this  
shieldofpistis

prestige for having best wrestler

In my opinion I think there is certain prestige in having best wrestler.  For the Snyder years the best ohio state wrestler could defeat the best Penn st wrestler.  I think the school with the best heavy gets overlooked. I realize best heavy not always best wrestler. 

Iowa won team title, Penn st most individual titles, but Minnesota has the best overall wrestler by a mile.  With all this Iowa vs Penn st rivalry going on, I think credit is getting lost for Minnesota.  

I know it's not the same as having the best team but congrats to Minnesota for helping Steveson become man who would beat anyone on Iowa and Penn states or anyone else's roster or rtc in states. 

7 hours ago, TobusRex said:

One outstanding wrestler does not make a team. 

Yeah, but I get the point. It's like:  Look what we can do if only x, y, and z. We have the formula to make the supreme wrestler. You guys can train-up a bunch of solid competitors, but you didn't make a Gable Steveson.

The rebuttal is obvious: no single program made a Gable Steveson, Spencer Lee, Jordan Burroughs, or Cael Sanderson. They are freaks. 

I just had my first D1 AA this year. And as soon as I said that to myself, I realized that it was his achievement not our program's. 

Edited by jackwebster

I think the "Prestige" for the program isn't when they meet expectations with a surefire blue-chipper (like a 3/4x state champ, Fargo champ, etc.), but when they develop under-the-radar recruits into AA's and national champs ala Drew Foster or Jesse Delavecchia.

41 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

The last time I saw ears like that they were attached to a Doberman Pinscher. 

The reason they were/are so good.  Damn things can literally lift them off the ground with a quick flap!

19 hours ago, Konquest said:

I think the "Prestige" for the program isn't when they meet expectations with a surefire blue-chipper (like a 3/4x state champ, Fargo champ, etc.), but when they develop under-the-radar recruits into AA's and national champs ala Drew Foster or Jesse Delavecchia.

Prestige isn't associated with being able to get the surefire blue-chippers??  Or is success only gaged on developing those who weren't blue-chippers??