Jump to content
Crash

If JO fails to qualify the weight in Bulgaria.....

Recommended Posts

if he fails to qualify the weight, we can just go to court to try and get our rightful spot in the olympics...

i mean...

it just wasn't right for UWW to have such a tough qualifier...

and so close to our own trials...

and i am pretty sure that JO's coach...

ummm... excuse me... a USA official...

told him it would be much easier...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on where he loses. Lose to a finalist and wrestle back for bronze and you have a very slim chance of a drug test failure opening up the spot. Anything else and it's pretty much impossible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, LJB said:
if he fails to qualify the weight, we can just go to court to try and get our rightful spot in the olympics...
i mean...
it just wasn't right for UWW to have such a tough qualifier...
and so close to our own trials...
and i am pretty sure that JO's coach...
ummm... excuse me... a USA official...
told him it would be much easier...


If anyone should be sued, it is Zain for the crime he committed against USAW in Canada last March.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Crash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure on the Covid rules, but there’s definitely a chance we could still qualify the weight if some other countries get caught for doping. It would makes that they would bump everyone up for Covid drop outs too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Crash said:


If anyone should be sued, it is Zain for the crime he committed agains USAW in Canada last March.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you are absolutely right...

we should petition to have that weight re-wrestled with our new rep, who, let's be honest, was always going to be our rep in the first place...

i'm not entirely sure UWW communicated to us exactly how important pan ams was or we surely would have sent someone else who could not even make our national team...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stars aligned to help Mike Zadick slip in the back door in 2008.

https://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/this-aint-a-cinderella-story-mike-zadicks-journey-to-the-2008-beijing-olympics/article_3c3f4a5e-0c6d-11e8-934d-9fb59ba8b23d.html

The following year Zadick failed to place at the World Championships, but won a silver medal at the Pan-American Games.

Entering the 2008 Olympic trials, Guerrero had retired, leaving Zadick as the incumbent to fight off any challengers for the top spot at 60-kilograms. Zadick won first place at the Olympic trials, but there was a complication.

No wrestler from the United States finished high enough at 60-kilograms in international competition to qualify for the Olympics.

There would be 244 wrestlers competing at the Beijing Olympics, but Zadick would not be one of them.

The only chance Zadick had would be if both the starter and alternate at 60-kilograms were unable to compete from another country — and Zadick would have to be named the alternate over numerous other wrestlers.

In an extremely unlikely event, two wrestlers from Bulgaria were unable to compete at the Olympics. The starter was injured, and the alternate was involved in a car accident on the way to the airport two days before wrestling began.

There was still a chance he wouldn’t get the call even though Zadick was a World Silver Medalist and had knocked off Batirov, but those credentials boosted Zadick to his first Olympics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

FIFY

This topic is automatic grounds for thread removal and condescending admonishment from mods.  At least, it used to be.

Edited by jchapman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see N Korea withdrew today. Does not affect men’s 65KG FS but does affect some other classifications.

I expect this to continue.

Interested to see how the IOC and UWW handle this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Depends on where he loses. Lose to a finalist and wrestle back for bronze and you have a very slim chance of a drug test failure opening up the spot. Anything else and it's pretty much impossible. 

Isn't that essentially how we qualified 65 in 2016?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Crash said:

I see N Korea withdrew today. Does not affect men’s 65KG FS but does affect some other classifications.

I expect this to continue.

Interested to see how the IOC and UWW handle this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't they have a really good guy at 57kg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Isn't that essentially how we qualified 65 in 2016?

Yep. Wouldn't hold out hope on that happening again, though. And Molinaro had to finish third to be in that position anyway. 

I think Oliver is good enough to qualify the weight out of the remaining field so it shouldn't come down to hoping for a drug test failure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Depends on where he loses. Lose to a finalist and wrestle back for bronze and you have a very slim chance of a drug test failure opening up the spot. Anything else and it's pretty much impossible. 

I agree that wrestling for Bronze is probably where he needs to get to have an outside shot of slipping in.

But why do you only mention doping? Why wouldn’t Covid and political withdrawals have the same effect? Seems Covid withdrawals are the greatest likelihood.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read previous posts somewhere where the remaining field that has yet to qualify at 65kg is a murderers row.  I.e. former world medalists that have yet to qualify that are expected to participate.  If this is true, then qualifying may be exceedingly difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crash said:


I agree that wrestling for Bronze is probably where he needs to get to have an outside shot of slipping in.

But why do you only mention doping? Why wouldn’t Covid and political withdrawals have the same effect? Seems Covid withdrawals are the greatest likelihood.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a wrestler gets covid that country will just send another wrestler, the country would still be qualified. Only a drug test failure would take away the spot. And if the whole country isn't sending a team due to covid (like North Korea) then they probably aren't going to be at the qualifier either, so they can't beat anyone at the qualifiers. Would be very weird for a country to send a wrestler to a last chance qualifier, have him qualify the weight, then withdraw from the Olympics entirely. I don't see anyone withdrawing for political reasons either. What country even has that much of a problem with Japan to boycott the Olympics? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

If a wrestler gets covid that country will just send another wrestler, the country would still be qualified. Only a drug test failure would take away the spot. And if the whole country isn't sending a team due to covid (like North Korea) then they probably aren't going to be at the qualifier either, so they can't beat anyone at the qualifiers. Would be very weird for a country to send a wrestler to a last chance qualifier, have him qualify the weight, then withdraw from the Olympics entirely. I don't see anyone withdrawing for political reasons either. What country even has that much of a problem with Japan to boycott the Olympics? 

 

North Korean withdrew their whole team AFTER having qualified through other means (not the last chance) due to fears of their athletes contracting COVID at the games..  This created more openings at the weights they held.  I think this will be the most common cause of additional spots opening.

As for political BS, it seems to always happen no matter the host country.  Shouldn't be much this year though.  

 

Edited by Crash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Crash said:

 

North Korean withdrew their whole team AFTER having qualified through other means (not the last chance) due to fears of their athletes contracting COVID at the games..  This created more openings at the weights they held.  I think this will be the most common cause of additional spots opening.

As for political BS, it seems to always happen no matter the host country.  Shouldn't be much this year though.  

 

North Korea qualified through 2019 worlds which was held before covid was a thing. Anyone that is going to the the last chance or remaining continental qualifiers is doing so with the knowledge that covid exists and their wrestlers will need to travel, so if they are willing to do that it would be bizarre to turn around and not go to the Olympics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

North Korea qualified through 2019 worlds which was held before covid was a thing. Anyone that is going to the the last chance or remaining continental qualifiers is doing so with the knowledge that covid exists and their wrestlers will need to travel, so if they are willing to do that it would be bizarre to turn around and not go to the Olympics. 

Again, I am talking about that countries who qualified pre-covid.  Not sure how I can be clearer about this.  

Edited by Crash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...