Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Technicians vs Physical Freaks

A broad dichotomy

Archetype of technician is David Taylor.  During college he was rather lanky and scrawny.  Dominated through flawless technique and pace. I am including in this category wrestlers that win via pace and high motor, but not through pure power/explosiveness.

Archetype of physical freak is Kyle Dake.  Just overwhelmingly powerful and impossible to move out of position.

Technicians:

Cael

Mark Hall

David Taylor

Jason Nolf

Nick Lee

Yianni

Kemerer

Wick

Kerkvliet

Moore

Desanto

Physical Freaks:

JB

Dake

Zain

Lee

Nickal

Snyder

Cox

RBY

Ferrari

Steveson

Ruth

3 hours ago, Piper said:

Imho Steveson doesn't get enough credit for his technique. He's always in good position and his timing is what sets him apart.

He's very solid. He's a better athlete and a better wrestler than anyone he faced this year. 

I admit I spent very little time fixing it... so it isn't great, but it's better than the original list. Here it is...

Jerks that won't pay their debts and can't be trusted:

Jimmy Cinnabon

Technicians:

Mark Hall

David Taylor

Jason Nolf

Nick Lee

Yianni

Kemerer

Wick

Kerkvliet

Moore

Physical Freaks:

Desanto

Ferrari

Zain

Both Technicians and Physical Freaks:

Cael

JB

Dake

Lee

Nickal

Snyder

Cox

RBY

Steveson

Ruth

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

As somebody pointed out in another thread while alluding to something Jamill Kelly said: when you don't understand how a technique could possibly work then it's bc the guy has inhuman stength / flexibility/ physical freakishness. So, I tend to agree with the folks who say it's difficult to separate the two attributes. Youre a great technician  because youre also a physical freak,  and youre a physical freak bc youre also a great technician.

Edited by jackwebster

2 hours ago, jackwebster said:

As somebody pointed out in another thread while alluding to something Jamill Kelly said: when you don't understand how a technique could possibly work then it's bc the guy has inhuman stength / flexibility/ physical freakishness. So, I tend to agree with the folks who say it's difficult to separate the two attributes. Youre a great technician  because youre also a physical freak,  and youre a physical freak bc youre also a great technician.

Adding to this ,is a third and equal to theses attributes. High IQ. 

I think a good way to bifurcate the two would be to look at the highs and lows of peoples careers.  Dake and Taylor were peanuts when they were dominating - now they're dominating even more as monsters.  JB became untouchable as he physically matured and as he heads towards the end of his physical peak he's seeing some slight declines in success.  Snyder has always been a physical specimen so he's harder to pick.  I'm surprised to see Bo Nickal on the physical freak list as his style gave his competition similar fits between a 174lb freshman and 197lb senior and I think he could continue to have similar success well past his physically peak - like an Askren.  

Are we just listing folks now?

American physical freaks:

John Smith

Chris Fleeger

Tony Purler

Azeri freaks:

Jabrayil Hasanov

Toghrul Asgarov

Haji Aliyev

Russian freaks:

Malvet Batirov

Makhach Murtazaliev