Sign in to follow this  
portajohn

Name That Rival Wrestler

It's the offseason and far enough away from the upcoming season to put your sword down and name a wrestler from a rival squad that you admire.  For me personally, I've always admired Max Murin's grit.  I've watched that young man go to battle with the best of them.  

I don't know that I admire any of them, but I'm a huge fan of aggressive, smart wrestlers. I'll assume OSU's rivals are Iowa and PSU, although PSU has thoroughly dominated the Cowboys in the last decade or so. With that in mind, I enjoy watching Spencer Lee wrestle. I like when a guy dominates the other guy in mat wrestling. Zain was even more fun to watch on top, but he was nowhere near as slick on his feet as Lee. There are many others, but Lee is my favorite at this time. 

Even as an Iowa fan, I always admired PSU's hammers. In fact, I actively rooted for them in most cases, when it wasn't against Iowa. 

Really loved watching Ruth, Unicorn, Zain, Nolf, and now Brooks. Carter is both super boring and exciting because you can count on his matches coming down to something perplexing right at the end. 

40 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Carter is both super boring and exciting because you can count on his matches coming down to something perplexing right at the end. 

Such a great comment.  As a PSU fan you as a Hawkeye fan make the same exact statement as all my fellow PSU friends.  Goes to show how dumb the rhetoric is on these boards at times but yet come November I'm ready to go full retar* mode

1 hour ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Even as an Iowa fan, I always admired PSU's hammers. In fact, I actively rooted for them in most cases, when it wasn't against Iowa. 

Really loved watching Ruth, Unicorn, Zain, Nolf, and now Brooks. Carter is both super boring and exciting because you can count on his matches coming down to something perplexing right at the end. 

Who is "Unicorn"?  David Taylor?  Bo?

2 hours ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

It was crazy the way Dake hammered Nolf at the team trials. I'd never seen anybody manhandle Nolf like that. Dake was wrestling like a gorilla after he got the takedown, lol. 

20 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

I hate the Hawkeyes but Brent Metcalf was always a favorite wrestler and interview. 

Too bad he tarnished his image by charging Caldwell, because Metcalf is a solid guy. Where is he working now? I'd like to see a guy like Metcalf join OU's staff, toughen those guys up. 

Edited by TobusRex

Nobody on the Penn State team right now, although I could see Aaron Brooks becoming that guy, or Kerkvleit.  Their hammers, I always loved watching wrestle, because of creativity and pace.  Ruth, Taylor, Nickal, and Nolf.  Zain was not like those guys, but he was brutal and so fun in his own way.

I take that back, I like watching Nick Lee on the current team a lot.  And Joe Lee often produces from an excitement standpoint.

Not a true "rival", but Andonian on Va. Tech...hooboy.  Tons of fun.

Nick Lee's two-on-one stuff is so fluid. You're supposed to say he's got a tank, he gritty,  and he's fundamentally sound; but, that dude wrestles with his hands like Russian, changes directions on a time, and is always out chessing his guy. 

Edited by jackwebster

15 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Too bad he tarnished his image by charging Caldwell, because Metcalf is a solid guy. Where is he working now? I'd like to see a guy like Metcalf join OU's staff, toughen those guys up. 

He is in the lumber department over to home depot in iowa city. 

As Lehigh fan (obviously), might expect me to go with Dake or Yianni. But I'll go with Gabe Dean based on below.

You always think your guy has a chance, but after seeing that, I was thinking next match-up vs LU guy was going to be ugly. 

If my memory was correct, the bout occurred in EIWA finals vs Navy his Jr year.

Im a Buckeye - so a lot of the time everyone seems like a rival. This year obviously we were not as competitive as in years past, which is ok - it happens. I feel we still had a solid NCAAs and I still really respect Ryan, and the rest of the staff. Jaggers was one of my all time fav wrestlers to watch as I was growing up. Looking forward to next season already, and hopeful that we can do the coaches clinic at the Covelli Center again! Always a blast.

I really admire Penn State. Specifically I am a huge fan of Nolf and Taylor, and I really like RBY. Cael of course as well but I feel like that goes without saying. Most of their guys are really likeable generally. Not a fan though of Nickal, but he is very good and exciting to watch. 

Iowa... meh. I have a lot of respect for the program as a whole, as far as the history and everything goes, and I do like Tom and Terry. I am not a fan of really anyone else on their staff. I like Lee (who doesnt), and Kemerer. Cassiopi is starting to grow on me as well. I do not like Eiereman - but similar to Nickal I wont deny how good he is, or how exciting he is. Rarely do I turn off a match he is wrestling. I just find him to be a bit Cringe. I was happy to see them get their chip this year. Maybe it was because they got outshined a bit still, but who knows. 

TTUN (That team up north - for the un-initiated) - Man I despise that school, and their fanbase...aside from wrestling. Again, I really admire their team, and coach Bormet. I was a big fan of Micic, and I like watching the Mattins. Paris I like watching, but I honestly got a bit turned off of him when he tried to troll Gable on twitter for "Ducking" - he was put in his place, though. I was also never really a fan of Coon's wrestling - he was boring. Im a fan of the two Amine brothers who are currently competing as well. Side note: I am so very pleased that they keep throwing Jim Harbaugh absurd amounts of money to have mediocre seasons, lose to us, and lose in their bowl games. Keep the contract extensions coming!

Also a big NC State fan. In regard to the wolfpack... I really dislike Virginia tech - but am a big fan of Andonian. I also like Latona quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, iGranby said:

Im a Buckeye - so a lot of the time everyone seems like a rival. This year obviously we were not as competitive as in years past, which is ok - it happens. I feel we still had a solid NCAAs and I still really respect Ryan, and the rest of the staff. Jaggers was one of my all time fav wrestlers to watch as I was growing up. Looking forward to next season already, and hopeful that we can do the coaches clinic at the Covelli Center again! Always a blast.

I really admire Penn State. Specifically I am a huge fan of Nolf and Taylor, and I really like RBY. Cael of course as well but I feel like that goes without saying. Most of their guys are really likeable generally. Not a fan though of Nickal, but he is very good and exciting to watch. 

Iowa... meh. I have a lot of respect for the program as a whole, as far as the history and everything goes, and I do like Tom and Terry. I am not a fan of really anyone else on their staff. I like Lee (who doesnt), and Kemerer. Cassiopi is starting to grow on me as well. I do not like Eiereman - but similar to Nickal I wont deny how good he is, or how exciting he is. Rarely do I turn off a match he is wrestling. I just find him to be a bit Cringe. I was happy to see them get their chip this year. Maybe it was because they got outshined a bit still, but who knows. 

TTUN (That team up north - for the un-initiated) - Man I despise that school, and their fanbase...aside from wrestling. Again, I really admire their team, and coach Bormet. I was a big fan of Micic, and I like watching the Mattins. Paris I like watching, but I honestly got a bit turned off of him when he tried to troll Gable on twitter for "Ducking" - he was put in his place, though. I was also never really a fan of Coon's wrestling - he was boring. Im a fan of the two Amine brothers who are currently competing as well. Side note: I am so very pleased that they keep throwing Jim Harbaugh absurd amounts of money to have mediocre seasons, lose to us, and lose in their bowl games. Keep the contract extensions coming!

Also a big NC State fan. In regard to the wolfpack... I really dislike Virginia tech - but am a big fan of Andonian. I also like Latona quite a bit. 

You think Eierman is cringe?  You should check out Telford. :)

18 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

You think Eierman is cringe?  You should check out Telford. :)

Its funny you say that - I had a sentence typed out about Telford but deleted it lol. He is definitely worse than Eierman.