Sign in to follow this  
jbai3_12

OTT Cons

Listening to Chael Sonnen on "Wrestling Changed my Life podcast" and he brought up the point of wrestling in the consolations because many of these athletes will go on to become coaches and will preach the importance of wrestling through consolations after a tough loss to their athletes.  Tomasello comes to mind, entering, then coming back and getting third.  Dean on the other end, loses to Taylor, the FF on the backside.  Any thoughts?  Thought it was an interesting point. 

I think many of the consolation forfeits were weight related. Guys didn't want to make weight if they weren't going to the Olympics.

Colon, Fix, Gross, Green, Molinaro, Joseph, Dean, Amos, Zillmer are the freestyle guys who forfeited.

Colon, Fix, Gross, and Green definitely were pulling major weight, and I don't think Dean has made 86 two days in a row since his return. All the heavyweights wrestled both days.

Molinaro retired. Amos was in the Greco finals and wisely decided to focus on that. Not sure about Joseph and Zillmer. 

i have very mixed feelings on this topic...

on one hand...

yes, wrestle backs are important for the above stated reasons and specifically for anything that is team related... couple that with available stipends for being a national team member, it makes sense for some to wrestle back...

i have personally seen the relief on athletes faces who are not RTC darlings after making the national team and receiving just a little bit extra that helps them feed their babies...

that is not hyperbole...

on the other hand...

in an individual competition i do not feel as if any of these athletes owe us as fans anything... if being #1 was their absolute focus and nothing else matters to them, i fully respect their decision to bow out after there is no way to make the one thing they have devoted a lifetime to achieving...

no one is "owed" anything...