spladle08

Snyderman vs the field

Do we think he gets by any of:

Mohammadian
Sharifov
Saduleav

I'm of the mind we are significant dogs in all 3.
With maybe Sharifov being the least likely to crush us, but he also doesn't crush anyone and is pretty clutch.

No clue if J'den would've done any better, the size of Salas Perez seemed to be a bit of a factor, these dudes that are still in prime form and huge may have been a factor.

Just interested in y'all's take.

Gimme.convo unrelated to weigh-in policy

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

22 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Do we think he gets by any of:

Mohammadian
Sharifov
Saduleav

I'm of the mind we are significant dogs in all 3.
With maybe Sharifov being the least likely to crush us, but he also doesn't crush anyone and is pretty clutch.

No clue if J'den would've done any better, the size of Salas Perez seemed to be a bit of a factor, these dudes that are still in prime form and huge may have been a factor.

Just interested in y'all's take.

Gimme.convo unrelated to weigh-in policy

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

I believe J'Den has lost to Sharifov.

Is David Taylor the only American to ever beat Sharifov?

Snyder always peaks at the right time. In 5 years he has won 5 medals. At most, he loses once at Worlds, and only to an Olympic gold medalist.

Silver/bronze in Tokyo is my prediction but it's not like he hasn't beaten the Tank before.

(And if he doesn't this cycle maybe he still can down the road. These guys are 25.)

Sharifov is super long in the tooth(mid 30s) and has been on the circuit almost 4 full cycles. He’s in the same place that Gazyumov was last cycle, giving it one last shot against mostly guys 10 years younger than him.

I don't think Sharifov is in the conversation at all these days. 

I want to see Mohammadian continue to pass drug tests.

Sadulaev is the only guy who is a clear danger to Snyder, IMO. 

Just now, Le duke said:

I don't think Sharifov is in the conversation at all these days. 

I want to see Mohammadian continue to pass drug tests.

Sadulaev is the only guy who is a clear danger to Snyder, IMO. 

If Sharifov is done, Aslanbek Alborov is his replacement and happens to be 2-0 versus Kyle. 

Sadulaev and Mohammadian are both freak athletes and should be the heavy favorites for the gold medal match. I wouldn't be surprised if Mohammadian even beats Sadulaev. He's a superstar.

11 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

If Sharifov is done, Aslanbek Alborov is his replacement and happens to be 2-0 versus Kyle. 

Sadulaev and Mohammadian are both freak athletes and should be the heavy favorites for the gold medal match. I wouldn't be surprised if Mohammadian even beats Sadulaev. He's a superstar.

Mohammadian has to first qualify for the Olympics, before he is a threat

Mohammadian has to first qualify for the Olympics, before he is a threat
He'll win this weekend right?

3 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Sharifov is super long in the tooth(mid 30s) and has been on the circuit almost 4 full cycles. He’s in the same place that Gazyumov was last cycle, giving it one last shot against mostly guys 10 years younger than him.

Same as Burroughs.

Two years older than Dake.

Edited by AHamilton

I don't think Mohammadian is the #1 Irani at this point, is he?

Sharifov is 'only' 32 so not exactly ancient, since he is the same age as JB.  Additionally he wasn't even supposed to be in at 97 at 2019 Worlds.  Albarov was injured late and Sharifov went up due to it being an Oly weight.

And yes, Sharifov has beaten Cael, Cox, and Snyder whereas Taylor handled him with relative ease.

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He is the one they sent to the Olympic qualification.  If he wins it, he will still have to wrestle for the spot, but will be the favorite.

If he fails, then it will not matter

8 minutes ago, irani said:

He is the one they sent to the Olympic qualification.  If he wins it, he will still have to wrestle for the spot, but will be the favorite.

If he fails, Iran can still get into the Olympics via Last Chance.  Would they send someone else to Last Chance if Mohammadian fails to qualify the weight as the Asian OG Qualifier?

4 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I’m not concerned about Mohammadian. 

Id pick him over Sharifov. Sharifov is even older now. 

I can’t justify picking him over Sadulaev, but crazier things have happened. 

I'm with you on this.  He can beat both Sharifov and Mohammadian.  I think pellicone was a bit flukey. He's taken losses throughout his career at various tourneys.  

I will say that I don't think he will beat Sadulaev, but... (There's always a but).  But... I've watched their last match dozens of times.  I firmly believe that outcome was also a bit flukey.  In their next matchup (if it happens), Sadulaev will have to out wrestle him instead of "catching" him.  If he does catch and pin again, I'll retract my statement 100%, but I just don't see Snyder getting his doors blown off in the OLY or WC setting.

1 minute ago, ShakaAloha said:

If he fails, Iran can still get into the Olympics via Last Chance.  Would they send someone else to Last Chance if Mohammadian fails to qualify the weight as the Asian OG Qualifier?

I would be shocked if he is given a second chance.  Shabani or Goleji, would be given that chance

40 minutes ago, irani said:

Didn't he lose to Shabani recently? 

Just now, nhs67 said:

Didn't he lose to Shabani recently? 

He did indeed.  So it's  a bit of a controversy that he is the one given the chance to qualify in the olympics.

Shabani is wrestling in the Asian tournament

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Sharifov is 'only' 32 so not exactly ancient, since he is the same age as JB.  Additionally he wasn't even supposed to be in at 97 at 2019 Worlds.  Albarov was injured late and Sharifov went up due to it being an Oly weight.

And yes, Sharifov has beaten Cael, Cox, and Snyder whereas Taylor handled him with relative ease.

He wasn’t even the guy in 2019 as was mentioned. Burroughs is NOT on the Olympic team so let’s not act like 32 in wrestling is now like your 22. These dudes are old, often injured and slowing down by the day.

It’s appearing Snyder is going to have more movement and less horsepower than when he beat Sadulaev. Interestingly enough, Sad has now fully grown into the weight and may even have the advantage in ‘horse power’ should they meet, and we all know how well he moves. My opinion, the difference in a would be Snyder win is going to be the corner. Obviously those guys in State College are really really good at game planning. And I think it’s going to take a really good one to beat Sad. 

I have him as favorites over the other two. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

It’s appearing Snyder is going to have more movement and less horsepower than when he beat Sadulaev. Interestingly enough, Sad has now fully grown into the weight and may even have the advantage in ‘horse power’ should they meet, and we all know how well he moves. My opinion, the difference in a would be Snyder win is going to be the corner. Obviously those guys in State College are really really good at game planning. And I think it’s going to take a really good one to beat Sad. 

I have him as favorites over the other two. 

Your horsepower comment got me thinking.. 

Do we collectively think that Gadsen has more horsepower than Snyder?

* He's pinned him

* He's shot him off the stage/mat

* Was up significantly on another power shot the last time they met

I'm not suggesting Gadsen is anywhere near Sad, but the analogy may hold in terms of the horsepower discussion.

4 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

* He's pinned him

I'm not suggesting Gadsen is anywhere near Sad, but the analogy may hold in terms of the horsepower discussion.

Too much ice cream!

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

* He's pinned him

Fair question, and I don't really know the answer.  I wasn't really getting at how Snyder fares vs 'horsepower', but pointing out it will likely be a telling difference in each of these two specifically, since Snyder beat him four years ago.  Especially when many consider Snyder's 'horsepower' a big factor, if not the difference, in that match.

12 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

He wasn’t even the guy in 2019 as was mentioned. Burroughs is NOT on the Olympic team so let’s not act like 32 in wrestling is now like your 22. These dudes are old, often injured and slowing down by the day.

Burroughs has probably had far more career matches and weight cuts than Sharifov ever had.  He also is a returning world medalist whose only losses in the past two years are to World Champs, including a criteria loss up two weight classes. 

Also, let us not forget that you said a 32 year old is "mid-30s," which is what actually prompted my response.  I hear all the time that "Coach Cael" who is 41 dominates the room at NLWC.  (Isn't 41 considered mid 40s?)

Edited by AHamilton