I was hoping to get more traction with my “tire change” topic today on FRL. 
I asked which wrestler will be most likely to retire and then come back. 

Who seems to be done for the moment, but may give 2024 or sooner another run? 

I think Gwiz might take a year off, and then come back, especially if Gable is a hype beat in WWE. 

I feel like JO will compete when he’s 40 but retire a few times too. 

15 hours ago, jcjcjc said:

I was hoping to get more traction with my “tire change” topic today on FRL. 
I asked which wrestler will be most likely to retire and then come back. 

Who seems to be done for the moment, but may give 2024 or sooner another run? 

I think Gwiz might take a year off, and then come back, especially if Gable is a hype beat in WWE. 

I feel like JO will compete when he’s 40 but retire a few times too. 

I don't think we'll see JB compete in '22.  I think this shortened cycle sets up for one last run, if that's where he truly is after some time to decompress.  Taking a year to stay sharp but also focus on....setting up for life after competing back home, get settled in a new training environment with a new coach, set to make some changes and adjustments he needs to get back on top.  The guy has worked non stop for ten years (even Satiev took a year off here and there) at nothing but the next gold medal, through broken ankles and acl's and all, grinding straight through.  I'd be surprised to see him shoot for the spot in '22, and it'd be a good call.  Focus on a medal in '23 to set up for '24.  Just my opinion, that means absolutely zilch.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I don't think we'll see JB compete in '22.  I think this shortened cycle sets up for one last run, if that's where he truly is after some time to decompress.  Taking a year to stay sharp but also focus on....setting up for life after competing back home, get settled in a new training environment with a new coach, set to make some changes and adjustments he needs to get back on top.  The guy has worked non stop for ten years (even Satiev took a year off here and there) at nothing but the next gold medal, through broken ankles and acl's and all, grinding straight through.  I'd be surprised to see him shoot for the spot in '22, and it'd be a good call.  Focus on a medal in '23 to set up for '24.  Just my opinion, that means absolutely zilch.

See I was thinking the opposite.  Go either 74 or 79 (dependent on where dake is) for the world championships in 22',  get one more medal, and then hang them up.  Would be really cool if Dake moved up to 79, JB stayed down and avenged his losses to Sidakov, then retired.

16 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

See I was thinking the opposite.  Go either 74 or 79 (dependent on where dake is) for the world championships in 22',  get one more medal, and then hang them up.  Would be really cool if Dake moved up to 79, JB stayed down and avenged his losses to Sidakov, then retired.

I'm just guessing by the way he's talked that if he continues as he's said he's going to, it's not to chase one more world medal.  It's olympics all or nothing.  

If he sticks around for the next Olympics, would he go up to 86? He was closer to beating Taylor than he was to Dake. I’m thinking dake stays at 74. I could see Burroughs taking a year off and then trying to win a world gold at 79 before giving Olympics one last run. I believe the world gold would still be possible at 79... just don’t see where he could fit in for the next Olympics? Maybe Dake wins Olympics and retires in top?

Only 3 years from this year's Olympics to the next one means less time to take off and still stay sharp. I think most guys will keep going as the margin for error is too small at this point.

Dake will go for 2024 I think. He would have physically deteriorate pretty drastically before he's not the favorite to make the team. Who is chasing him down from behind over the next three years?

I've said before that I think Burroughs goes up to 79 for another year or two and then calls it a day as he slides into a coaching position at PRTC while raising his four kids. It is hard to imagine him holding 74 for three more years and making a serious run at age 35 (will turn 36 before the Olympics).

Oliver turns 31 in a few weeks, and he's not great at handing the weight cut to 65. That probably won't improve over the next three years. I don't know what he'll do or if he has a great option outside of competition. Perhaps his performance over the next few months will determine what he does.