2 minutes ago, tightwaist said:

He graduated 2 years before my daughter in HS and will graduate 1 year after her from college.  I love ya Kemerer, but there is more to life than college wrestling.  Get on with your life.

Hey...do you mind if I call you so you can share with me how I should live my life and you can make the choices for me??  Thanks....

Lots of hate being directed at a guy who's getting as much education as he's being allowed. Oh...and he's also doing grueling, exhausting, difficult physical work each day, too. Remember, there is no maximum number to medical redshirts. Kem could blow out his knee (God forbid) at the beginning of next year and could very well be granted another medical redshirt, another year to compete if he applied for it. 

3 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Hey...do you mind if I call you so you can share with me how I should live my life and you can make the choices for me??  Thanks....

Absolutely.  I’ll give you my discounted rate as well.  However, I don’t make choices for folks.  I just tell them when they need to consider moving on.  But, not everyone listens.  

Ex.  Big Ben, it’s time to hang them up.  

Here's my question...what classes could any of these 7th year college students have to take to complete their degrees?  Unless they're in a master's program or a specific professional degree program, what could they possibly have left to take?  Tommy Boy anyone?

Tommy:

Did you hear I graduated?

Richard Hayden:

Yeah and just a shade under a decade too, all right.

Tommy:

You know a lot of people go to college for seven years.

Richard Hayden:

I know, they're called doctors.

Yes, thank you for quoting the joke Kemerer already made in the Tweet linked above.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, tightwaist said:

Absolutely.  I’ll give you my discounted rate as well.  However, I don’t make choices for folks.  I just tell them when they need to consider moving on.  But, not everyone listens.  

Ex.  Big Ben, it’s time to hang them up.  

LOL...great response!  It seriously made me laugh!  

And...I actually agree with you that Big Ben needs to hang it up.  Yes...yes...I am a hypocrite sometimes.  :)

3 hours ago, Gasman1 said:

Here's my question...what classes could any of these 7th year college students have to take to complete their degrees?  Unless they're in a master's program or a specific professional degree program, what could they possibly have left to take?  Tommy Boy anyone?

Tommy:

Richard Hayden:

Tommy:

Richard Hayden:

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Yes, thank you for quoting the joke Kemerer already made in the Tweet linked above.

Are we talkin heart surgeon type Doctor or School Superintendent type Doctor, cause my sense is, I dunno, they are different. 

I wouldn’t be a fan of the decision if Kem was taking a couple semesters of basket weaving to be a hanger-on. But Kemmerer has been Academic All-Big 10 his whole career so I give him the benefit of a doubt. Maybe someone can fill me in but I would think he is pursuing a grad degree of some sort and if he is able to get Iowa to pay for most/all of it, all the power to him.

40 minutes ago, BAC said:

I wouldn’t be a fan of the decision if Kem was taking a couple semesters of basket weaving to be a hanger-on. But Kemmerer has been Academic All-Big 10 his whole career so I give him the benefit of a doubt. Maybe someone can fill me in but I would think he is pursuing a grad degree of some sort and if he is able to get Iowa to pay for most/all of it, all the power to him.

He was pursuing an MBA. Maybe that has changed. I'm not Tbar so I don't police HR hourly to see what the inner circle has to say.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

He was pursuing an MBA. Maybe that has changed. I'm not Tbar so I don't police HR hourly to see what the inner circle has to say.

If that’s the case then he would be crazy not to come back. Subsidized grad degree and he gets to wrestle? Win win.

9 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I don't blame him for wanting to see first-hand how much Starocci can separate himself from the field next season.

The improvement curve is on Starocci's side, sure. But, I want to push back on this idea that, after your 3rd year in college or something, you stop improving. I think that has more to do with the cumulative grind of the college season starting to wear on guys rather than guys actually just ceasing to get better at wrestling after age 23 or so. Afterall, didn't Dake and Taylor get their first world titles at age 28? You want to argue that they're the same guys they were when they were in college? How about JO? 

To be clear, I think it is undeniable that Star has more room to improve (how much though? He is already a natty champ). I just don't think it's a done deal that Ken, or anyone else for that matter, can't beat him. Starocci went into overtime in half his matches, it felt like.

1 hour ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

The improvement curve is on Starocci's side, sure. But, I want to push back on this idea that, after your 3rd year in college or something, you stop improving. I think that has more to do with the cumulative grind of the college season starting to wear on guys rather than guys actually just ceasing to get better at wrestling after age 23 or so. Afterall, didn't Dake and Taylor get their first world titles at age 28? You want to argue that they're the same guys they were when they were in college? How about JO? 

To be clear, I think it is undeniable that Star has more room to improve (how much though? He is already a natty champ). I just don't think it's a done deal that Ken, or anyone else for that matter, can't beat him. Starocci went into overtime in half his matches, it felt like.

He's got significantly better training partners and coaches (particularly for the weight) than Kemerer does. If his offense gets rolling like it was during the fall/early winter during the NLWC cards, watch out. No one will be taking him to OT.

4 hours ago, tightwaist said:

He graduated 2 years before my daughter in HS and will graduate 1 year after her from college.  I love ya Kemerer, but there is more to life than college wrestling.  Get on with your life.

I find this line totally befuddling. Do you think Kemerer would enjoy working in an office more than a season of wrestling? Because he only has one more year to wrestle. He has 40+ years to toil away at work. And there's nothing else in his personal life he can't pursue because he's wrestling.

Sometimes it seems like people forget that working isn't the only thing in life. 

29 minutes ago, Le duke said:

He's got significantly better training partners and coaches (particularly for the weight) than Kemerer does. If his offense gets rolling like it was during the fall/early winter during the NLWC cards, watch out. No one will be taking him to OT.

Seems a little overconfident given how tough 174 is going to be next year. Good chance neither one of them will be in the finals with Mekhi and Griffith moving up.

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Seems a little overconfident given how tough 174 is going to be next year. Good chance neither one of them will be in the finals with Mekhi and Griffith moving up.

I'm only talking about his improvement relative to Kemerer.

But, this is the same guy that people were writing off after he lost to Donnell Washington. I think he'll be OK.

2 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I'm only talking about his improvement relative to Kemerer.

But, this is the same guy that people were writing off after he lost to Donnell Washington. I think he'll be OK.

I could make the same argument for Kemerer. He was the clear better guy before wrestling a bad match in the finals against a guy he controlled 2 weeks earlier. It's still going to be razor tight next year.

Seems like we may have different ideas of what a close match is. Didn't you say Bo would major Zahid in folkstyle based off a freestyle match in which he was losing with 30 seconds left and lost the takedown battle?

Edited by uncle bernard

If you watch the NCAA and B1G matches, Carter was getting to legs.

He didn't finish in the B1G finals, and got countered for 2 + 2 on one of them.

In the NCAA finals, he got to legs more than Kemerer. And nearly ended the match in regulation on one of them. 

The progress from the first match to the second was amazing. He kept Kemerer off his offense and got to his own offense more effectively. 

My point was that I generally expect a guy starting his third year in a program to make more gains than a guy entering his seventh year, regardless of who it is, particularly when the former is in a program that has had more success at that weight than the latter. 

Also: Bo lost the TD battle with Myles Martin in 2018. 

Edited by Le duke

29 minutes ago, Le duke said:

If you watch the NCAA and B1G matches, Carter was getting to legs.

He didn't finish in the B1G finals, and got countered for 2 + 2 on one of them.

In the NCAA finals, he got to legs more than Kemerer. And nearly ended the match in regulation on one of them. 

The progress from the first match to the second was amazing. He kept Kemerer off his offense and got to his own offense more effectively. 

My point was that I generally expect a guy starting his third year in a program to make more gains than a guy entering his seventh year, regardless of who it is, particularly when the former is in a program that has had more success at that weight than the latter. 

Also: Bo lost the TD battle with Myles Martin in 2018. 

Just take the L and admit you got way too excited about a last second chin whip that wouldn't have even scored in folkstyle.

I find this line totally befuddling. Do you think Kemerer would enjoy working in an office more than a season of wrestling? Because he only has one more year to wrestle. He has 40+ years to toil away at work. And there's nothing else in his personal life he can't pursue because he's wrestling.

Sometimes it seems like people forget that working isn't the only thing in life. 

"Get on with your life" says a bunch of 50 year-olds, who wrestled their last match 30+ yrs. ago, on a message board devoted to wrestling.

7 hours ago, Gasman1 said:

Tommy:

Richard Hayden:

Tommy:

Richard Hayden:

Not just doctors.  Many pastors of ordained churches have to have 4 yr degree to get into grad school. A masters of divinity takes 3-4.  That is at least 7 to be ordained.  Then many pastors have doctor of ministry degrees that take at least 3.  

Most people don't realize the education required to be ordain in certain denominations.  

I speak from pastors viewpoint.  Many other fields require multiple years after bachelor degree.

9 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

"Get on with your life" says a bunch of 50 year-olds, who wrestled their last match 30+ yrs. ago, on a message board devoted to wrestling.

It's unreal. When he's 5o years old, does Kemerer want to look back and wonder what could have been if he took his final year of eligibility? People can complain all they want, but he still only gets 4 tournaments. I look forward to the PSU fans calling for Starocci to forego his 5th tournament out of principle. 

When it comes to things like sports, you should live in the moment and continue as long as you still feel the passion because you can't go back once you leave. You get the rest of your life to work. What kind of lifeless way of living is it to say "a year of earning potential" outweighs a year of doing something you love for the last time?

2 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

It's unreal. When he's 5o years old, does Kemerer want to look back and wonder what could have been if he took his final year of eligibility? People can complain all they want, but he still only gets 4 tournaments. I look forward to the PSU fans calling for Starocci to forego his 5th tournament out of principle. 

When it comes to things like sports, you should live in the moment and continue as long as you still feel the passion because you can't go back once you leave. You get the rest of your life to work. What kind of lifeless way of living is it to say "a year of earning potential" outweighs a year of doing something you love for the last time?

PSU fans will say Kem won't need to look back when he's 50 because he's already there.

The idea that work is necessarily unrewarding is odd. A lot of people find their careers to be rewarding. 

There is also the issue of a year of missed income and career opportunities and even missed chances to learn about life away from a college campus. 

It’s a purely personal decision as to whether spending another year on a college campus is worth everything you have to give up to be there. People have to make their own choices in life.