Jump to content

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Katie said:

The idea that work is necessarily unrewarding is odd. A lot of people find their careers to be rewarding. 

There is also the issue of a year of missed income and career opportunities and even missed chances to learn about life away from a college campus. 

It’s a purely personal decision as to whether spending another year on a college campus is worth everything you have to give up to be there. People have to make their own choices in life.  

Great. I agree with this. Maybe some people don't value a year of income and career opportunities over another year of doing something they love while being surrounded by a community they love? I don't understand why there is so much outrage about this. Life is about more than just earning a paycheck. Some people love their careers. Thats awesome. Many are miserable. The guy is, by all accounts, an upstanding character who chose to take full use of an opportunity granted to him in order to compete in 4 NCAA tournaments and pursue one last chance at an individual natty championship. As has been said before, I'm really curious as to what folks will be saying when this year's freshmen are entering their 5th NCAAs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Katie said:

The idea that work is necessarily unrewarding is odd. A lot of people find their careers to be rewarding. 

There is also the issue of a year of missed income and career opportunities and even missed chances to learn about life away from a college campus. 

It’s a purely personal decision as to whether spending another year on a college campus is worth everything you have to give up to be there. People have to make their own choices in life.  

This is my entire point. The people I responded to are the ones who think he's making the wrong choice. Only Michael Kemerer knows what he values and what's more important to him.

I also think it's a bit overstated what he's "giving up." It's one year of earning potential in an expected working life of 40-50. Especially insignificant if he wants to compete at the senior level or coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

This is my entire point. The people I responded to are the ones who think he's making the wrong choice. Only Michael Kemerer knows what he values and what's more important to him.

I also think it's a bit overstated what he's "giving up." It's one year of earning potential in an expected working life of 40-50. Especially insignificant if he wants to compete at the senior level or coach.

This is a very good point.

He's got the rest of his life to work. Nothing wrong with sticking around for another year, particularly when weighed against the 30+ years of work likely to follow. Pushing that off by a year isn't going to hurt him in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

This is my entire point. The people I responded to are the ones who think he's making the wrong choice. Only Michael Kemerer knows what he values and what's more important to him.

I also think it's a bit overstated what he's "giving up." It's one year of earning potential in an expected working life of 40-50. Especially insignificant if he wants to compete at the senior level or coach.

And if any of his post-college career includes coaching, another season would help his earning potential if he can add national champion to his resume.

Not to mention if he can add another degree.   I know he was already listed as a grad student last year, so he wasn’t just taking a bunch of Basket weaving classes for 6 years. I haven’t checked HR in a minute but I think I remembered reading that a main part of why him coming back was in question was because I believe he was planning to finish this year with whatever grad program he was working on ...but he could always do or at least start another if that’s the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago an extra year was awarded on the basis of a documented injury. Falsified medical reports became the norm so the NCAA gave up and everyone got a 5th year. I could have stayed for a fifth year and probably would have placed but I felt college was a 4 year deal. Life beckoned and I moved on. Glad I did. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t really get why people are surprised or outraged at this this. I suppose the ignoring the real world ramifications should only occur when transferring or moving for high schools.. and being held back in middle school.. 

We laud those with icy determination and focus and willingness to live the “lifestyle”. To those who dedicate themselves a 100%.. yet people are outraged and shocked that the athletes then take advantage of the chances to maximize their competitive career?

A lot of the criticism seems to come from bitterness or jealousy. I’m saying this as someone who would’ve gotten a 6th year if I chose to do so. 
 Kemdawg will also have no problem getting a job.. and most of y’all will happily overpay for a clinic by him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on back for another year, Kemdawg. Go for your goal of winning a national title. 

Why has nobody mentioned the possibility of him transitioning to freestyle? He has been an elite college wrestler. I don't see any place where he can break into the lineup, but stranger things have happened when wrestlers find the deep well of motivation. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You open a lot more doors getting a masters or two or going into a doctorate program. Its a much better option to get it paid for now or at least get help paying it than it is to work a couple years and potentially have to pay for it yourself.

If in the end he determines he wants to go into coaching an extra year would only benefit him. He could potentially add an extra AA or national title to his resume which would further increase his earning potential and how quickly he get hired.

I think in a few years the same people complaining won't care when it's the Penn State team in their 5th, 6th and 7th years.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jp157 said:

I don’t really get why people are surprised or outraged at this this. I suppose the ignoring the real world ramifications should only occur when transferring or moving for high schools.. and being held back in middle school.. 

We laud those with icy determination and focus and willingness to live the “lifestyle”. To those who dedicate themselves a 100%.. yet people are outraged and shocked that the athletes then take advantage of the chances to maximize their competitive career?

A lot of the criticism seems to come from bitterness or jealousy. I’m saying this as someone who would’ve gotten a 6th year if I chose to do so. 
 Kemdawg will also have no problem getting a job.. and most of y’all will happily overpay for a clinic by him.  

Some great points in this post.

There are plenty of wrestlers looking to make a World/Olympic team that never will.  Yet they continue to toil at RTCs or elsewhere (some having expired their college eligibility and didn't graduate) and nothing is really said about them "pursuing the dream" instead of moving on.

If a wrestler has the opportunity to continue having school paid for (a percentage or all) and is able to compete under the existing rule-set, then so what.

Their lives are theirs.  They get to decide when to enter the "real world".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

Some great points in this post.

There are plenty of wrestlers looking to make a World/Olympic team that never will.  Yet they continue to toil at RTCs or elsewhere (some having expired their college eligibility and didn't graduate) and nothing is really said about them "pursuing the dream" instead of moving on.

If a wrestler has the opportunity to continue having school paid for (a percentage or all) and is able to compete under the existing rule-set, then so what.

Their lives are theirs.  They get to decide when to enter the "real world".

In the interest of being fair since some complain about me being “condescending”. I know some of the people criticizing the having more than 4 years also criticize the kids being held back and transferring across the country in hs just to wrestle.
 

My issue arises when people perfectly okay with the stuff happening in lower grades criticizing the college athletes for maximizing their playing time. Or the ones who yada yada their schools kids doing that kind of stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...