Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

8th year seniors possible?

There are several wrestlers that can get to 8.  Micic, as someone mentioned, can do it next year.  Pretty much any wrestler that can combine a greyshirt, redshirt, olympic redshirt, along with the COVID year can get to 8.  There are combinations that can get one there like a second Olympic redshirt or an injury year/6th year waiver.  8 in theory can always happen with the right timing without COVID, an injury waivers, or mission years, by using a greyshirt, redshirt, 2 olympic redshirts, and 4 years of competition. COVID opens up the possibility of 9 years.

I guess Tanner Hall has already done this.  He was High School class of 2011.  2011-2012 greyshirt at OTC, 2012-2013 MIssion, 2013-2014 Mission, 2014-2015 Mission, 2015-2016 Freshman, 2016-2017 sophomore, 2017-2018 Junior, 2018-2019 redshirt, 2019-2020 Senior.  His last year of competition was his 9th year out of high school though he spent 3 years not competing. 

Anthony Cassar: I think he actually has a year of eligibility left.  I doubt he takes it but should he wrestle next year that would be his 8th year out of high school.  He would do it with 1 redshirt, 2 injury years, 1 covid year, and 4 years of competition.

Mason Manville has the opportunity fo be wrestling in college his 9th year out of college.  He would do it with 1 greyshirt, 1 redshirt, 1 olympic redshirt, 1 COVID year, 4 years of competition. That's 8 years.  If he takes a second Olympic redshirt in 2023-2024 that would be 9.  

This next group could be in wrestling in their 8th year out of high school should they take an olympic redshirt in 2023-2024

Daton Fix: 1 redshirt, 2 olympic redshirts, 1 covid year, 4 years of competition

MIchael Beard: 1 greyshirt, 1 redshirt, 1 Olympic redshirt, 1 COVID year, and 4 years of competition

Joe Lee: 1 grey shirt, 1 redshirt, 1 olympic redshirt, 1 COVID year, and 4 years of competition

Vito Arujau: 1 greyshirt, 2 olympic redshirts, 1 COVID year, and 4 years of competition.  He might actually have a regular redshirt he could use to get to 9 if he transfers to a non-ivy.

On 4/8/2021 at 10:48 PM, ShakaAloha said:

You guys think Micic is coming back to wrestle for year 8?

If he is getting a master's or another major in I think it is worth it,  however...I'm not big on keep coming back because you have eligibility.  At some point the thought of debt must outweigh the fun of competition.   In fact I think there are a lot of guys that don't want to go to college at all, but want to keep competing.  These  guys however I believe are moreso at the NJCAA and NAIA levels as opposed to the NCAA in some (not all cases).   

On 4/8/2021 at 12:50 PM, DanGerMan said:

Seems like these guys will eventually run out of courses to take.

There are 250 different degree programs at UM. Micic can walk out of there with more degrees than a thermometer.

Edited by TBar1977

On 4/8/2021 at 10:13 AM, GBR! said:

If Micic comes back it will be his 8th.  He took Olympic redshirts in both 2016 and 2020.  

Typically the NCAA only gives guys 1 extra year for medical redshirts.

Maybe it is all the same, but did Yianni, Micic and perhaps othesr get two Olympic redshirts this cycle?  That would give Micic three years. Throw in a RS and he is an 8. A medical hardship year and he is a 9.  Had he grey shirted, he would be  a ten

Edited by Plasmodium
NM, off by 1

On 4/8/2021 at 10:42 PM, Fishbane said:

There are several wrestlers that can get to 8.  Micic, as someone mentioned, can do it next year.  Pretty much any wrestler that can combine a greyshirt, redshirt, olympic redshirt, along with the COVID year can get to 8.  There are combinations that can get one there like a second Olympic redshirt or an injury year/6th year waiver.  8 in theory can always happen with the right timing without COVID, an injury waivers, or mission years, by using a greyshirt, redshirt, 2 olympic redshirts, and 4 years of competition. COVID opens up the possibility of 9 years.

I guess Tanner Hall has already done this.  He was High School class of 2011.  2011-2012 greyshirt at OTC, 2012-2013 MIssion, 2013-2014 Mission, 2014-2015 Mission, 2015-2016 Freshman, 2016-2017 sophomore, 2017-2018 Junior, 2018-2019 redshirt, 2019-2020 Senior.  His last year of competition was his 9th year out of high school though he spent 3 years not competing. 

Anthony Cassar: I think he actually has a year of eligibility left.  I doubt he takes it but should he wrestle next year that would be his 8th year out of high school.  He would do it with 1 redshirt, 2 injury years, 1 covid year, and 4 years of competition.

Mason Manville has the opportunity fo be wrestling in college his 9th year out of college.  He would do it with 1 greyshirt, 1 redshirt, 1 olympic redshirt, 1 COVID year, 4 years of competition. That's 8 years.  If he takes a second Olympic redshirt in 2023-2024 that would be 9.  

This next group could be in wrestling in their 8th year out of high school should they take an olympic redshirt in 2023-2024

Daton Fix: 1 redshirt, 2 olympic redshirts, 1 covid year, 4 years of competition

MIchael Beard: 1 greyshirt, 1 redshirt, 1 Olympic redshirt, 1 COVID year, and 4 years of competition

Joe Lee: 1 grey shirt, 1 redshirt, 1 olympic redshirt, 1 COVID year, and 4 years of competition

Vito Arujau: 1 greyshirt, 2 olympic redshirts, 1 COVID year, and 4 years of competition.  He might actually have a regular redshirt he could use to get to 9 if he transfers to a non-ivy.

What is interesting is how old some of these guys are going to be.  Some of them came out of high school as old as you could be and are on track to be between 26 and maybe even 28 with another cycle in three years and the possibility of another Olympic Red Shirt.   

Hmm...I was 22 when I was a 5th year senior back in the 90's.  Senior year l wrestled through an injury (herniated disc) that had occurred near the end of my junior year. I don't remember hearing of a "medical" redshirt at that time.  Maybe there was, and just no mention of it was made to me. Had I had the opportunity,  I don't think I would have taken a medical redshirt.  At that point in my life, I was ready to move on from college.  That being said, I didn't have aspirations of a wrestling career beyond college, so there's that.  I can only guess that factors into some of these decisions being made about whether or not to return.  Also, if you're in graduate/law/medical school and you're getting some of that paid for by wrestling, that could be a factor as well.  So to each their own.  

I will say, I'm not a fan of the NCAA not counting this year.  I see it as a robbing Peter to pay Paul.  Just my opinion.