Perry

Max Dean Leaving Cornell?

48 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

WTF - Koll brought in a guy/guys that could beat a starter?

According to posters here, only Cael does that.

Darmstadt came in and beat Honis, who had qualified for NCAAs the previous year.

Does anyone actually know how much degree progress Max has made thus far?

He's been at Cornell now for five years, although that included a greyshirt, an Olympic redshirt, and a COVID year.  Most of the other guys transferring from prominent schools seem to have done so AFTER they had either earned their bachelors degree and/or exhausted all their possibilities for staying at that school and still competing.

29 minutes ago, Sheerstress said:

He's been at Cornell now for five years, although that included a greyshirt, an Olympic redshirt, and a COVID year.  Most of the other guys transferring from prominent schools seem to have done so AFTER they had either earned their bachelors degree and/or exhausted all their possibilities for staying at that school and still competing.

It’s not clear-Cornell lists him having not competed junior year.  Posters here were implying that he had 2 years of eligibility at Cornell left, meaning he had only completed two years towards his degree. It’s kind of sad really-if he had gone to Michigan from day 1 he would be a year into a masters program at this point. 

1 hour ago, Sheerstress said:

In fact, Max has been at Cornell for two years, not five.  By definition, a greyshirt year is a year spent *not enrolled*; in addition, he took a Leave of Absence (known here as an ORS), then was not enrolled this current year (another LoA, I would think).  He would need a 5th year waiver from Cornell *and* the Ivy League just to compete next year; it appears that he can actually wrestle the sixth year if he is still an undergraduate (statement as of 2/12/2021):

Generally, NCAA rules require you to use your four years of eligibility within five years from when you initially enroll in college. The NCAA has issued a waiver that extends a student-athlete’s clock to 6 years if they missed a season due to COVID-19 (Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Winter 2020-21) and were otherwise eligible for that season. A decision regarding Spring 2021 has not yet been issued. Remember, to compete at Cornell you would need to be an undergraduate student for all 6 years.

48 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

It’s not clear-Cornell lists him having not competed junior year.  Posters here were implying that he had 2 years of eligibility at Cornell left, meaning he had only completed two years towards his degree. It’s kind of sad really-if he had gone to Michigan from day 1 he would be a year into a masters program at this point. 

You keep saying this.  Most of the Michigan roster consists of redshirts.  Very few go to Michigan "from day 1," so it's pretty disingenuous to say that Dean would've finished his undergrad and be working on his masters degree. 

Like at most schools, he took the equivalent of a redshirt (except that he was able to earn credits toward his degree without paying Cornell tuition), then took an *earned* ORS, then sat out when the Ivy League cancelled competition this year.  Only very late in the game did they announce a non-participation waiver for those enrolled, so it was a bit late for him to have enrolled without losing a year of eligibility.

2 hours ago, klehner said:

You keep saying this.  Most of the Michigan roster consists of redshirts.  Very few go to Michigan "from day 1," so it's pretty disingenuous to say that Dean would've finished his undergrad and be working on his masters degree. 

Like at most schools, he took the equivalent of a redshirt (except that he was able to earn credits toward his degree without paying Cornell tuition), then took an *earned* ORS, then sat out when the Ivy League cancelled competition this year.  Only very late in the game did they announce a non-participation waiver for those enrolled, so it was a bit late for him to have enrolled without losing a year of eligibility.

Redshirts take classes at the actual university, not a local community college.  It's why Griffith is able to graduate this year.  The practicing of redshirting isn't good for the sport IMO, but the practice of grayshirting is an order of magnitude worse.  Having an athlete at your university take the equivalent of two or three grayshirt years is basically malpractice if there is the opportunity to take classes during the redshirt/ORS.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

7 hours ago, Le duke said:

He got CRUSHED by Foca. 

Who did not appear to be lacking size or strength at 86kg.

When, in a wrestle-off or at Last Chance?

Edit: Sorry, I see now it was Last Chance.

Is it certain that Foca will go 184 and not 174?

Anyway, it could be he lost his spot. If so, no one will want to admit that. If there is an academic angle, why not just say it?

Edited by NJDan

3 hours ago, klehner said:

He would need a 5th year waiver from Cornell *and* the Ivy League just to compete next year; it appears that he can actually wrestle the sixth year if he is still an undergraduate (statement as of 2/12/2021):

Could that be the reason, or more likely one of the reasons, that he wanted to have two more years but would only have one at an Ivy? Or that the fifth year waiver was somehow denied?

7 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Could that be the reason, or more likely one of the reasons, that he wanted to have two more years but would only have one at an Ivy? Or that the fifth year waiver was somehow denied?

As long as he has only been enrolled for 2 years, he would be eligible at an Ivy because he would still be an undergrad.  If he was enrolled this past year, then yes this transfer is the only way he gets 2 more years.  

4 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

It doesn't make sense for him to leave Cornell without a degree to transfer to Michigan State.  I understand that wrestling is important to him but a degree from MSU is a step down from Cornell imo (no offense to the MSU guy that posts here).  Does he care about life after wrestling?

8 hours ago, Le duke said:

He got CRUSHED by Foca. 

Who did not appear to be lacking size or strength at 86kg.

I watched the match I think a folk style match would be much more competitive. Nearly all of Foca’s points were freestyle points. Two quick fours that get you nothing in folk. 

2 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

I watched the match I think a folk style match would be much more competitive. Nearly all of Foca’s points were freestyle points. Two quick fours that get you nothing in folk. 

Agreed, but it was still very impressive. I thought to myself that if he hasn't caught Max already, he's not more than a year away.

5 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

It doesn't make sense for him to leave Cornell without a degree to transfer to Michigan State.  I understand that wrestling is important to him but a degree from MSU is a step down from Cornell imo (no offense to the MSU guy that posts here).  Does he care about life after wrestling?

He's basically in the same position that Joey McKenna was. For some people, wrestling is the main factor. Such a move would make more sense for Gabe than Max, assuming Gabe retires now and doesn't care about an RTC while Max clearly does.

6 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

As long as he has only been enrolled for 2 years, he would be eligible at an Ivy because he would still be an undergrad.  If he was enrolled this past year, then yes this transfer is the only way he gets 2 more years.  

He was not enrolled.

According to Koll I wasn't far off the mark with concern that the Ivies would cancel sports again, with a dash of vaccine skepticism, since Cornell was requiring vaccinations to be on campus in the fall (according to quotes in Flo; sorry I don't have the link at my fingertips but all of you already subscribe).

edit: lol the other max dean thread was deleted while i was typing a response and hoo boy was that for the best

Edited by ugarte