Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Next year's Iowa lineup will be the oldest, ever and forever

Unless we have another COVID situation which gives a future team a free year, next year's Iowa team will likely be the oldest team EVER.  As in, no team to come will ever be as old.

Crazy to think that we will be witnessing history.

The only way it could get any older is if Micic transfered in.  Then they'd have an 8th year senior to go along with their two 7th year seniors, two 6th year seniors, and three 5th year seniors.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

37 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Unless we have another COVID situation which gives a future team a free year, next year's Iowa team will likely be the oldest team EVER.  As in, no team to come will ever be as old.

Crazy to think that we will be witnessing history.

The only way it could get any older is if Micic transfered in.  Then they'd have an 8th year senior to go along with their two 7th year seniors, two 6th year seniors, and three 5th year seniors.

How is this even remotely accurate?  You do realize that PSU has

1.)Howard-Has his redshirt and 4 seasons still available(not including an Olympic redshirt).

2.)RBY-Has his redshirt and 2 years available(not including an Olympic redshirt)

3.)Bartlett-Has his redshirt and 4 seasons still available(not including an Olympic redshirt).

4.) J. Lee-Has 4 seasons still available(not including an Olympic redshirt).

5.)Starocci-Has 4 seasons still available(not including an Olympic redshirt).

6.)Brooks-Has his redshirt and 3 seasons still available(not including an Olympic redshirt).

7.)Beard-Has 4 seasons still available(not including an Olympic redshirt).

8.)Kerkvliet -Has his redshirt and 4 seasons still available(not including an Olympic redshirt).

This team could have Iowa beat by more than 10 years if they all max out their eligibility.  I mean you could literally add 2 guys to Iowa's lineup and still not be as old!!

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

How is this even remotely accurate?  You do realize that PSU has

1.)Howard-Has his redshirt and 4 seasons still available(not including an Olympic redshirt).

2.)RBY-Has his redshirt and 2 years available(not including an Olympic redshirt)

3.)Bartlett-Has his redshirt and 4 seasons still available(not including an Olympic redshirt).

4.) J. Lee-Has 4 seasons still available(not including an Olympic redshirt).

5.)Starocci-Has 4 seasons still available(not including an Olympic redshirt).

6.)Brooks-Has his redshirt and 3 seasons still available(not including an Olympic redshirt).

7.)Beard-Has 4 seasons still available(not including an Olympic redshirt).

8.)Kerkvliet -Has his redshirt and 4 seasons still available(not including an Olympic redshirt).

This team could have Iowa beat by more than 10 years if they all max out their eligibility.  I mean you could literally add 2 guys to Iowa's lineup and still not be as old!!

Let's talk about PSU if and when it actually happens.  In the here and now Iowa's lineup in basically a bunch of dudes in their mid 20's.  Eierman will be just a few weeks away from turning 26 years old at the NCAA tourney next year.  Kemerer isn't that far behind him.  Young and Marinelli will be 24.  Warner, Desanto, and Brands will be 23.  

19 minutes ago, OR said:

Let's talk about PSU if and when it actually happens.  In the here and now Iowa's lineup in basically a bunch of dudes in their mid 20's.  Eierman will be just a few weeks away from turning 26 years old at the NCAA tourney next year.  Kemerer isn't that far behind him.  Young and Marinelli will be 24.  Warner, Desanto, and Brands will be 23.  

How about you read the actual post I responded to before telling me how to respond?  Guy LITERALLY said "no team to come will ever be as old."

PSU doesn't list their wrestlers' ages, but I would suspect several freshmen were 20+ years old this past season......

This topic brings me back to a topic that was discussed either last year or the year prior.  

Why does NCAA Eligibility even matter?  

Yes yes yes... I get the Scholarship discussion.  BUT... What if, you have a wrestler, say, Spencer Lee, and he has the following situation:

• Spencer wrestles his first three years, and wins an NCAA championship his first three years.
  • During the summer, he and his family play mega millions, and they win.  Strike it rich.  So rich, they're wealthy, and they can sign rich people's paychecks. :-D
  • He goes to Brands and says... I just wanna wrestle, I don't want the scholly, use it for someone else. 
  • Spencer wrestles his fourth year, off of scholly, wins his 4th NCAA championship.
  • But now... it gets really good.
  • Spencer realizes that he REALLY loves school, and REALLY loves the academic culture.  He decides, that instead of graduating, he would like to stay in school for multiple degrees.  He'd like to have 4-5 different majors because of all of his intellectual interests.
  • Spencer though, LOVES to wrestle.
  • Spencer is a paying student
  • Spencer is NOT on scholarship
  • Spencer is not allowed to wrestle any longer, and his career is now over, against his own wishes, and dollars, and desire, at no expense to anyone else.

Why?  Are we ok with this?  If this is Spencer's dream, and he would like to continue wrestling at an NCAA D1 level for as long as he chooses, at no expense to anyone else, then why not?  Brands could still recruit the next young stud to try to knock him out of the lineup.  All's fair in competition, since it's "competition" right?  

So again, are we just "playing by the rules" because someone in an office made them up one day and passed around the memo that was signed off in some conference room?  Colleges and Universities will GLADLY accept my money to continue taking as many classes as I'd like.  I could theoretically be a perpetual student if I had the funds and desire.  Why couldn't I continue to compete as a collegiate athlete then as well?  

The idea that a college student needs to be a certain age to go to college is outdated. There are plenty of "non-traditional" students that pursue a college degree later in life, sometimes much later for various reasons. So, I think it is reasonable to extend the question to why college athletes absolutely, positively, without any exception whatsoever, need to be a certain age?

5 hours ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

The idea that a college student needs to be a certain age to go to college is outdated. There are plenty of "non-traditional" students that pursue a college degree later in life, sometimes much later for various reasons. So, I think it is reasonable to extend the question to why college athletes absolutely, positively, without any exception whatsoever, need to be a certain age?

Actually, the age issue is a fairly new one. At least as regards entering into D1 sports. I think it was only about 10 years ago that there were consequences for waiting more than 1 year to enter full time enrollment after HS. There are some exceptions but previously wasn't a big deal. 

2 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

correct, gimp. 

there was a time when your clock started when you enrolled.

somewhere around a decade ago they changed it so that it started 1 year after your possible first college semester (not counting religious responsibilities).

I wasn’t even aware that they made this change-I thought it was still 5 years post enrollment. Maybe the new rule should just be that your eligibility ends 5 years after your first possible semester. This way everyone will have the option for a single traditional redshirt, medical redshirt,  Olympic redshirt, or grayshirt.

Edited by Billyhoyle

27 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I wasn’t even aware that they made this change-I thought it was still 5 years post enrollment. Maybe the new rule should just be that your eligibility ends 5 years after your first possible semester. This way everyone will have the option for a single traditional redshirt, medical redshirt,  Olympic redshirt, or grayshirt.

ORS is different because they can't be enrolled fulltime.

15 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

2 of the freshmen: Lee and Beard.  The rest of the freshmen are 2019 and 2020 HS grads.

None of the others "blackshirted" prior to graduating?

Since Iowa has been so transparent with their ages, would anyone be willing and able to find the ages for this PSU squad?  I am quite interested to see what their ages would be if they all maxed out their eligibility.

Edited by MSU158

49 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Why though?  Honestly, what does it hurt if they space out their competing over 5,6, or even 7 years?  First off, 6 and 7 years are normally very rare and are ONLY being talked about because a PANDEMIC ended a season prematurely.  On top of all this Iowa didn't even use the deferred enrollment option like PSU is starting to do.  If they had a guy or 2 do that.......oh my would there be some whining going on now.

Still, I see NOTHING wrong with this scenario:

Year 1-redshirt

Year 2-competes

Year 3-gets injured

Year 4-competes

Year 5-Olympic redshirt

Year 6- competes

Year 7-gets medical waiver and competes for his 4th and final competition

I agree with MSU 158, none of this discussion takes into consideration the grey shirting that's going on at Penn State and other places.  I'm not saying it's wrong, but it adds to the ages of the athletes at graduation.  Or, let's look at the guys that go on missions, which is allowable.  Penn State rolled out a 125 two years ago that had been on a (multi-year) mission...   Someone said he was 27.  I don't know, but it's just the point that this year, due to COVID, a light is being shined on the years in College, but there are many ways guys can be older.  Look at Daton Fix at Okst.  He took his red shirt and used his Olympic Red Shirt.  Daton was born on March 11, 1998.   He is already 23 years old and has three more years left to compete, which would take him to 26 years old when finishing his collegiate career.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it.  It's all within the rules, but just pointing out there are many examples of guys using the system to stay in College longer.  It used to be 23 years old was the 5-year window and maybe 24 at times for the guys graduating at 19, but Daton is going to be 26 without using a medical or possibly an additional Olympic Red Shirt (remember the next cycle is only three years away)....   If Daton had to use a medical year and then if he took another Olympic Shirt he could be 28 upon graduating, which is crazy.   My opinion is that these guys are only young once and as long as the rules are in place for everyone, then I don't see an issue with it, but to speak of one team or a specific example is missing the big picture of what's happening across the nation. 

10 minutes ago, Gantry said:

I can't believe regular posters keep replying to JC as if he or she actually believes what they say.   They are a troll, put them on ignore

Nothing wrong with many of the topics he "trolls" with.  I actually enjoy a lot of what he posts because he does generate some good debates.  But, you are right that only posting directly with him gets you nowhere.....

15 minutes ago, Gantry said:

I can't believe regular posters keep replying to JC as if he or she actually believes what they say.   They are a troll, put them on ignore

Yup, 80% of his posts belong at the bottom of my toilet bowel.  The other 20% are pretty good though

Edited by portajohn

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Again, there are some exceptions- military, missionary, Olympic service similar to legal extensions within the 5. But otherwise, that is the case. If you take a second year it will essentially lose you your red shirt year possibility. If you compete (unattached say) it will cost you a competitive year.

There are plenty of individual examples of wrestlers competing into their mid 20's, Daton Fix for example which was mentioned above.  However, to see a full line-up like Iowa's is pretty shocking.

18 hours ago, MSU158 said:

How about you read the actual post I responded to before telling me how to respond?  Guy LITERALLY said "no team to come will ever be as old."

PSU doesn't list their wrestlers' ages, but I would suspect several freshmen were 20+ years old this past season......

We also don't know who will be wrestling for PSU in 2 or 3 years.  Maybe PSU will eclipse Iowa, maybe they won't.  

3 minutes ago, OR said:

We also don't know who will be wrestling for PSU in 2 or 3 years.  Maybe PSU will eclipse Iowa, maybe they won't.  

Yep. THAT is WHY you don't say "no team to come will ever be as old."  Now, if he said they are the oldest SO FAR, I wouldn't have said anything.  However, are they?  I would be interested to know what the total age was of any team that was heavily loaded with seniors.  I would think the 2006 OkState team had some age to it with that being the last year for Kyle, Esposito, Ward, Blackmon, Rosholt and Mocco. Hendricks only had 1 year left.  Mason, Scott and Morgan were sophomores.  

I am sure there are others if someone really spent the time to look.

38 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Yep. THAT is WHY you don't say "no team to come will ever be as old."  Now, if he said they are the oldest SO FAR, I wouldn't have said anything.  However, are they?  I would be interested to know what the total age was of any team that was heavily loaded with seniors.  I would think the 2006 OkState team had some age to it with that being the last year for Kyle, Esposito, Ward, Blackmon, Rosholt and Mocco. Hendricks only had 1 year left.  Mason, Scott and Morgan were sophomores.  

I am sure there are others if someone really spent the time to look.

I'm going to jump in with other posters commenting on how we shouldn't feed the Cinnabon. If we ignored a lot of his ridiculous posts then he'd either  go away or what would be better is he'd be forced to create better posts to get people to engage.  To me, his OP is nothing more than to try and piss off Iowa fans.  I'm a PSU fan and even reading his OP I concluded it was nothing more than a troll job and ridiculous to single out Iowa.  A more compelling post could've been questioning if NCAA should reconsider it's stance on gray shirts, Olympic shirts, medical waivers, etc to minimize the possibility of someone wrestling in their 7th year of college. That would be a decent discussion