Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Next year's Iowa lineup will be the oldest, ever and forever

20 hours ago, MSU158 said:

How about you read the actual post I responded to before telling me how to respond?  Guy LITERALLY said "no team to come will ever be as old."

PSU doesn't list their wrestlers' ages, but I would suspect several freshmen were 20+ years old this past season......

My son wrestled for a B1G school (not Penn State).  His freshman year of college, he didn't turn 19 until the week of the NCAA tournament.  At least 3 members of his recruiting class were  either 20 when they arrived on campus or turned 20 that Sept (and one of them turned 21 soon after the Christmas break).

There are plenty of 20 year old freshmen in a lot of college wrestling rooms. 

I always wondered how much of a difference age makes at the Division 1 level.  What further complicates this is there can be a big difference between biological and chronological age.

For example, before they wrested in the 1992 Division 1 finals, Tom Brands, a senior was less than 3 weeks from his 24th Birthday while his opponent Alan Fried, a sophomore, was just a bit over 20.5 years old.  

Not that a guy like Fried would ever make excuses; he did pin Brands at The Midlands earlier that year.  But wrestling a guy who relied on physicality as much as Brands did, I have to imagine it factored in to a degree.   

Interestingly, they probably didn't have the biggest age range between two opponents that year in the finals.  Both Todd Chesboro (lost) and Mark Kerr (won) wrestled ex military guys (Charlie Jones and Randy Couture) who were fairly older than them too.  

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by wrestlingstrength
I believe that photo is from the 1991 tournament, not 1992.

4 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Again, there are some exceptions- military, missionary, Olympic service similar to legal extensions within the 5. But otherwise, that is the case. If you take a second year it will essentially lose you your red shirt year possibility. If you compete (unattached say) it will cost you a competitive year.

If you grayshirt, can’t you still redshirt? Isn’t it currently possible to go grayshirt, then redshirt, then medical redshirt/6th year waiver? 

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

If you grayshirt, can’t you still redshirt? Isn’t it currently possible to go grayshirt, then redshirt, then medical redshirt/6th year waiver? 

Sure if only one year of greyshirt. The issue I listed was more than 1 year of greyshirt. That's why I said if you take a second year.

3 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Sure if only one year of greyshirt. The issue I listed was more than 1 year of greyshirt. That's why I said if you take a second year.

Right-I think we are on the same page. I’m suggesting they implement a hard 5 year cutoff post what would be your first semester. So if you grayshirt, you can no longer redshirt, medical RS, or Olympic redshirt. 

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

Right-I think we are on the same page. I’m suggesting they implement a hard 5 year cutoff post what would be your first semester. So if you grayshirt, you can no longer redshirt, medical RS, or Olympic redshirt. 

Looking at it that way, they have it at 6 now- other than covid or significant injury (or military/missionary) and 5 if you matriculate right away.

Just now, gimpeltf said:

Looking at it that way, they have it at 6 now- other than covid or significant injury (or military/missionary) and 5 if you matriculate right away.

But can’t you still medical redshirt or Olympic redshirt for a 6th year of eligibility even after taking a grayshirt and redshirt (7 years post graduation)? 

2 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

But can’t you still medical redshirt or Olympic redshirt for a 6th year of eligibility even after taking a grayshirt and redshirt (7 years post graduation)? 

That's what I was trying to say. 1 optional greyshirt then up to 5 countable years (which could include a red shirt). Then depending on a injury situation could be 1 more active year (I say active because it would generally presume 2 previous inactive years within the 5) Then with military/missionary or Olympic possibilities- who know?

Just now, gimpeltf said:

That's what I was trying to say. 1 optional greyshirt then up to 5 countable years (which could include a red shirt). Then depending on a injury situation could be 1 more active year (I say active because it would generally presume 2 previous inactive years within the 5) Then with military/missionary or Olympic possibilities- who know?

Oh yikes-I somehow missed the significant injury part of your post. My bad. 

If we already have weight classes to give smaller athletes a chance at success, why not age classes?

There could be the university division — up to age 23 — and then a nontraditional  division — ages 24 and up. 

The only points I would make regarding the NCAA granting an extra year are as follows:

1. Mistake to cancel the week of the championships a year ago.  Let the athletes in with no families and no spectators, but to cancel was a mistake in my opinion, which put them in this situation in the first place. 

2. While I am so very happy that they provided the extra year due to the cancellation last year.  The only adjustment that I believe could have been appropriate would have been that everyone gets an extra year, but no one gets a 5th NCAA Tournament.  This would have been easy to implement.  The real loss last year was to the guys that lost 25% of their NCAA experience.    

11 minutes ago, KTI said:

1. Mistake to cancel the week of the championships a year ago.  Let the athletes in with no families and no spectators, but to cancel was a mistake in my opinion, which put them in this situation in the first place. 

Nobody knew what hit them last year. With current knowledge and testing capability sure. Neither knowledge nor testing was available.

Gimpeltf: Agree that hindsight is 20/20...   I still believe an athletes only event would have been fine.  Ironically, this year, at both the DIII and DI post season championships, not one athlete tested positive.  

20 hours ago, KTI said:

The only points I would make regarding the NCAA granting an extra year are as follows:

2. While I am so very happy that they provided the extra year due to the cancellation last year.  The only adjustment that I believe could have been appropriate would have been that everyone gets an extra year, but no one gets a 5th NCAA Tournament.  This would have been easy to implement.  The real loss last year was to the guys that lost 25% of their NCAA experience.    

I think this is a very good middle ground. Grant the free year in case they need it. But cut off the maximum NCAA champs participation at 5 years