https://fightingillini.com/news/2021/4/8/illini-wrestling-coach-jim-heffernan-announces-retirement.aspx

Great coach and great wrestler.  I wish him well wherever he goes from here.

And now one of the top head coaching jobs has opened up in a talent-rich state.  It will be interesting to see who lands it and how it will affect the coaching landscape.

I gave the Illini faithful crap when they were calling them #2 earlier this year.  I meant it in good fun and respect Heffernan quite a lot.  I didn't expect him to retire.  They did seem to be on the upward swing.

57 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

DAMION HAHN PLZ

11 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Hahn comes, kids will too.

Unless Minnesota opens up he isn’t going to leave South Dakota state, when he got the job he mentioned that he had a lot of offers over the years and finally decided to accept SDS in large part because his wife wanted to live closer to where shes from ,

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Unless Minnesota opens up he isn’t going to leave South Dakota state, when he got the job he mentioned that he had a lot of offers over the years and finally decided to accept SDS in large part because his wife wanted to live closer to where shes from ,

Illinois is a big time job though. It's basically tier 1B behind the likes PSU/Iowa/Ohio State/OSU.  I bet he would take it.  

Make Perry will probably apply. All that job Haoling probably takes its toll and he gets denied. 

Casey Cunningham ... how big a job does he need to leave? Is this big enough? It should be but he seems so bought in to PSU that he may not realize what’s best for his career.

Kolat should’ve hung around for one more year at Campbell and he’d be a very good candidate. I don’t see him even applying just one year into his new gig.

11 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Make Perry will probably apply. All that job Haoling probably takes its toll and he gets denied. 

Casey Cunningham ... how big a job does he need to leave? Is this big enough? It should be but he seems so bought in to PSU that he may not realize what’s best for his career.

Kolat should’ve hung around for one more year at Campbell and he’d be a very good candidate. I don’t see him even applying just one year into his new gig.

Kolat has full backing from navy he isn’t going anywhere right now and Cunningham didn’t want the Michigan job so I don’t see him taking the Illinois job

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

Why not?  He runs the best youth program in the area, is Jon Jones' coach, and produced numerous guys who are AA's.

You don't hire the coach of the pee wee program to coach the college team.  

There are a lot of big names who will apply for this.  

Some other names that haven't been mentioned: Metcalf, Hrovat, and Jaggers.