I think the difference between a grayshirt/redshirt/olympic redshirt can be a bit confusing.  What happens during an olympic redshirt?  Are the athletes enrolled at the university/taking classes, or are they training full time? Is the same true for a grayshirt at places like PSU (athletes not taking classes and only wrestling)?  Are most of these athletes who are 6/7th year seniors working towards masters degrees?

The other question I have is whether you think Ferrari will become the first 5X NCAA champion. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

I noticed the mailbag is still behind a paywall. Frankly, I don't think Intermat's content is compelling enough to subscribe. Most of it seems to be press releases. The mailbag was pretty good, but it wasn't based on reporting. It was mostly just fairly off-the-cuff commentary. I wonder who pays to subcribe.

@Husker_Du

In regards to Michigan as a whole.  Who might or might not return, who might or might not come in?  What do you think their peak performance is, with the peak lineup(Woods, Dean, Griffith, Brucki-Returning seniors)?  What is their floor if only Brucki and no returning seniors?  Where do you think it will shake out for them?

In regards to Penn State:  Do we see Facundo go right away, either 165/174 (Starocci dropping perhaps?), and Joe Lee (or Matt Lee) go at 157?

In regards to Iowa: Do you think they'll hold serve and keep the exact same lineup?  Do you think it would be better to swap some guys around (Eierman/Murin or a different 165-174-184 lineup)?

In regards to Cornell (and other Ivies, really): Do you see a slew of other transfers hitting the wire soon?  Without getting political, what sort of effect do you believe it will be as far as their elite talent(s) not going elsewhere?  Is Dean just the first domino?

11 hours ago, NJDan said:

I noticed the mailbag is still behind a paywall. Frankly, I don't think Intermat's content is compelling enough to subscribe. Most of it seems to be press releases. The mailbag was pretty good, but it wasn't based on reporting. It was mostly just fairly off-the-cuff commentary. I wonder who pays to subcribe.

There's been more new original content on Intermat in the last ten days than the last two years combined

14 hours ago, NJDan said:

Submitting your questions is free. Hearing the answers requires cash. We seem to have many willing to give Willy his bait.

On 4/8/2021 at 10:54 PM, Husker_Du said:

Writing up this week's mailbag.

I draw from a lot of topics from here, obviously. Tomorrow's intro will be the 'age thing' in college wrestling.

any other questions you guys interested in?

How much does it cost to read the answer to my solicited question?

On 4/8/2021 at 7:54 PM, Husker_Du said:

Writing up this week's mailbag.

I draw from a lot of topics from here, obviously. Tomorrow's intro will be the 'age thing' in college wrestling.

any other questions you guys interested in?

Did you fire T.R. Foley?

On 4/8/2021 at 11:03 PM, Billyhoyle said:

I think the difference between a grayshirt/redshirt/olympic redshirt can be a bit confusing.  What happens during an olympic redshirt?  Are the athletes enrolled at the university/taking classes, or are they training full time? Is the same true for a grayshirt at places like PSU (athletes not taking classes and only wrestling)?  Are most of these athletes who are 6/7th year seniors working towards masters degrees?

Sort of along those lines .... the original NCAA release announcing that this year wouldn't count against eligibility was pretty narrowly worded.  The wrestlers who competed this season wouldn't use a season of eligibility.  We can assume that everyone got a free year, but is that what the NCAA meant?  For example, Lehigh's Josh Humphreys didn't compete.  He's wrestled two years and this season was originally to be a redshirt season.  Does he still have three seasons to wrestle two, or did he burn his r/s year because he didn't compete?

42 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

Sort of along those lines .... the original NCAA release announcing that this year wouldn't count against eligibility was pretty narrowly worded.  The wrestlers who competed this season wouldn't use a season of eligibility.  We can assume that everyone got a free year, but is that what the NCAA meant?  For example, Lehigh's Josh Humphreys didn't compete.  He's wrestled two years and this season was originally to be a redshirt season.  Does he still have three seasons to wrestle two, or did he burn his r/s year because he didn't compete?

If the Ivy League policy is that anyone who didn't compete this year won't lose a year of eligibility, that has to also apply for NCAA eligibility, right?

"The Ivy League will provide a blanket non-participation waiver for fall and winter sports that do not have the opportunity to participate in championship segment competition in 2020-21 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Spring sports were provided this waiver in Spring 2020. Further details will be provided to spring sport athletes as information regarding the 2021 season progresses. This means all fall and winter sport athletes during the 2020/2021 season will not use one of their four seasons of eligibility."

Yeahhhh ...... I'm not sure.  Applying Humph's situation, if he were an Ivy Leaguer:  he's wrestled two and was in school but not competing this year.  Under normal Ivy rules as I understand them, he'd have one more year remaining but he could do the thing where he sat out of school in the next two fall semesters and competed in the next two spring semesters.  Using the Ivy waiver you cite, he could compete two full seasons; that's the same he could always do at Lehigh under existing NCAA rules.  My original question remains -- did this year not count at all, leaving him still with the prospect of a r/s year and two competition years?