Sign in to follow this  
OR

Return of Oregon Duck Wrestling?

Uncle Chael Sonnen says that Oregon has built a new facility on campus that has a wrestling room in it.  Is this true?  Is it a possibility we see wrestling reinstated at UO?

Clearly the University of Oregon has so much of Phil Knight's money that they can afford to build a wrestling facility and just let it just sit there.  Must be nice to have all that money I guess.

P.S. The University of Oregon is also the University which has a career record in football of 0-3 versus my alma mater (Boise State).

22 minutes ago, Swayz said:

I wonder if Chuck Kearney would know?   I  can ask him.  He is the HC at St. Mary  of NAIA now.

The "Restore College Wrestling - Oregon" group is still active. They look at all opportunities, but obviously UO is the big one. Last I  heard Kearney was still involved. 

22 hours ago, Bronco said:

Clearly the University of Oregon has so much of Phil Knight's money that they can afford to build a wrestling facility and just let it just sit there.  Must be nice to have all that money I guess.

P.S. The University of Oregon is also the University which has a career record in football of 0-3 versus my alma mater (Boise State).

Lol.  They're 0-9 vs the Buckeyes.

Cmon, we can't be down this bad. Oregon has a club wrestling team, so they've probably had a mat room for a long time. Whatever he's talking about, I don't have much faith in it.

I can't find anything about any new facility on their campus besides a $200M track & field-only facility, along with a whole ass web domain for their football facilities: http://www.oregongridiron.com/

Let's root for Presbyterian and Little Rock and all the other new teams instead of begging for another big state school to bring back their wrestling team for 3 years.

8 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I remember when Oregon and Oregon State were perennial top 10 programs (70's). Sad. 

Not so sad for OSU...good coaching staff, improvement in the OTC and good recruiting classes have them on the upswing. 

2 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Not so sad for OSU...good coaching staff, improvement in the OTC and good recruiting classes have them on the upswing. 

At least they still have a program, which is more than UO can say. 

I saw a couple really bad takes from Sonnen recently that makes me question his reliability (Ferrari bumping to heavyweight next year would create the biggest heavyweight matchup of all time and saying collegians going Greco instead of freestyle would make a more impactful splash right away).

A lot of what he says is click-baity and sensationalized. That's how he made his fighting career.

20 hours ago, moodybooty said:

Cmon, we can't be down this bad. Oregon has a club wrestling team, so they've probably had a mat room for a long time. Whatever he's talking about, I don't have much faith in it.

I can't find anything about any new facility on their campus besides a $200M track & field-only facility, along with a whole ass web domain for their football facilities: http://www.oregongridiron.com/

Let's root for Presbyterian and Little Rock and all the other new teams instead of begging for another big state school to bring back their wrestling team for 3 years.

I think it’s critical to try to preserve and grow wrestling at traditional D1 schools. The sport will be dead if it’s only offered at enrollment-desperate schools. There’s huge value in having scholarship athletes at Oregon, Stanford, etc. 

14 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I remember when Oregon and Oregon State were perennial top 10 programs (70's). Sad. 

I don’t believe that to be  true. Oregon never placed in the top 10 in the 70s to my recollection. Am I misremembering?

15 hours ago, TobusRex said:

5 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

I don’t believe that to be  true. Oregon never placed in the top 10 in the 70s to my recollection. Am I misremembering?

or 60s or 80s.

They always ducked the competition

5 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

I can't say for sure how those teams did at NCAAs, but I remember back in those days the Tulsa World actually showed the ranking of the top 10 college wrestling teams. Good luck finding anything other than the results of B12 and NCAAs in the Tulsa World today.  I remember Oregon and Oregon State (or OSU #3) were often ranked in the top 10. 

Anyway I just checked. Oregon State finished in the top 10 9 times in the 70's, including a 2nd place finish behind ISU. Oregon was nowhere to be seen, so maybe my memory is flaky on the Ducks. 

https://nwhof.org/stillwater/resources-library/ncaa-brackets/

4 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I can't say for sure how those teams did at NCAAs, but I remember back in those days the Tulsa World actually showed the ranking of the top 10 college wrestling teams. Good luck finding anything other than the results of B12 and NCAAs in the Tulsa World today.  I remember Oregon and Oregon State (or OSU #3) were often ranked in the top 10. 

Anyway I just checked. Oregon State finished in the top 10 9 times in the 70's, including a 2nd place finish behind ISU. Oregon was nowhere to be seen, so maybe my memory is flaky on the Ducks. 

https://nwhof.org/stillwater/resources-library/ncaa-brackets/

As I posted above- I didn't see them top ten in the 60s, 70s or 80s.

I doubt they return..not in the next several years. But the old architect plans did call for a room that could be used for wrestling. That is correct. The building got shelved for a good decade of memory serves. So if the building is now completed, it could have said space and at the same time not be labeled as anything. It could end up being a juice bar or Xbox lounge for all anyone knows.

3 hours ago, Idaho said:

Highest finish ever was 1980 - 11th place. 

Oregon State on the other hand.....

I was surprised to see how good OSU3 was back in the 70s. They were a faiirly elite squad, I'd say probably on par with maybe Ohio State today. I was disappointed my memory on the Ducks was off-kilter though. Still, they seem to have had a respectable squad, and that was back in the days when there were over a 100 teams that could send guys to NCAAs. UCLA, LSU, Auburn and many others still had wrestling teams . Even Iowa. I didn't check the 60's/80's out, just the 70's, but I wouldnt be surprised to hear they were good in those decades as well. 

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

I was surprised to see how good OSU3 was back in the 70s. They were a faiirly elite squad, I'd say probably on par with maybe Ohio State today. I was disappointed my memory on the Ducks was off-kilter though. Still, they seem to have had a respectable squad, and that was back in the days when there were over a 100 teams that could send guys to NCAAs. UCLA, LSU, Auburn and many others still had wrestling teams . Even Iowa. I didn't check the 60's/80's out, just the 70's, but I wouldnt be surprised to hear they were good in those decades as well. 

There were well over 100 programs into the early 90's.  In addition, champions from the lower divisions (D2 & D3) could participate in the D1 tournament.  This ended after the 1991 tournament.