wrestlingnerd

174 meat grinder extraordinaire

So here are all the facts and rumors I've heard in the last week. Because I'm lazy and for fun, I'm mixing the two.

• Presumably, Carter Starocci stays at 174
  • 165 lb NCAA champ Shane Griffith to 174
  • 165 lb NCAA champ Mekhi Lewis to 174
  • Kemdog back at 174
  • Hayden Hidlay will jump two weights to 174
  • AA Labriola is back at 174
  • AA Bernie Truax is back at 174
  • Both Romeros back at 174

Holy sh*t!! Is this really going to go down? This could be the toughest NCAA weight ever if it plays out as rumored.

Great weight if it all plays out like this.  I still have a hard time seeing Hayden at 174, but if the cut was as bad as he says...

The arguable favorite is a non-champion.  Crazy times.

Though, to be fair, if I were picking favorites, I'd pick a healthy Mekhi Lewis.

It does seem ridiculous, but Hidlay’s brother is also as wide as a truck.  Given how nationals went for him, he could be a sneaky candidate for monster of the weight next year.

Kemerer also made the jump and is one of the biggest at the weight.  

9 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

word currently circulating is that Ethan Smith will be 174 and Romero 84

57 - Paddy

65 - Kharchla

74 - Ethan Smith

84 - Romero

not carved in stone but that's the plan as of now. 

I was wondering about their lineup as well, but that looks like the best lineup they could put out there for sure. 

24 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

57 - Paddy

65 - Kharchla

74 - Ethan Smith

84 - Romero

Does Jordan move up again and beat out Hoffman again?

43 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

57 - Paddy

65 - Kharchla

74 - Ethan Smith

84 - Romero

Wouldn't be surprised if Kharchla won it if all the aforementioned guys actually move up. Or maybe Marinelli finally gets a title by attrition. I'm still having a hard time fathoming how much 165 clears out. 

13 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Kharchla won it if all the aforementioned guys actually move up. Or maybe Marinelli finally gets a title by attrition. I'm still having a hard time fathoming how much 165 clears out. 

Why is 165 clearing out?

Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

2 NCAA champs is not clearing out?

It is definitely clearing out.  I was asking why all these studs are leaving the 165 division?

I'm confused why someone like Hayden Hidlay would go up 2 weights to 174, a division with 3 NCAA champs, when he could go up only 1 weight to 165, which has no NCAA champs.

2 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

It is definitely clearing out.  I was asking why all these studs are leaving the 165 division?

I'm confused why someone like Hayden Hidlay would go up 2 weights to 174, a division with 3 NCAA champs, when he could go up only 1 weight to 165, which has no NCAA champs.

Obviously because they're growing or the cut is too severe to do it again next year. Griffith and Lewis are still young. 

Hidlay to 174 seems far fetched but the Flo guys discussed it so I threw it in there as a legit rumor. I can see how 157 is a very tough cut. Hidlay is short but he is jacked. Bullard was manning 165 this year for NC State and in theory can come back next year, so maybe it's 174 for lineup reasons. I don't know why 174 and not 165. 

Obviously because they're growing or the cut is too severe to do it again next year. Griffith and Lewis are still young. 
Hidlay to 174 seems far fetched but the Flo guys discussed it so I threw it in there as a legit rumor. I can see how 157 is a very tough cut. Hidlay is short but he is jacked. Bullard was manning 165 this year for NC State and in theory can come back next year, so maybe it's 174 for lineup reasons. I don't know why 174 and not 165. 
Hidlay actually said it himself on a podcast. It may have been Pop's or@JasonBryant 's, I can't remember whose.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

He said the sole purpose of his wrestling next year is for his brother to win a title.  Being at 174 allows his brother to have a more competitive partner in the room at a weight that is closer to make it practical.  That was my interpretation.  

4 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

He said the sole purpose of his wrestling next year is for his brother to win a title.  Being at 174 allows his brother to have a more competitive partner in the room at a weight that is closer to make it practical.  That was my interpretation.  

It’s basically what he said and honestly it’s one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard 

27 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

So Macchiavello, Reenan, Boykin, Gantt, and the Bullards can't push Hoagie?

16 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Hayden sounds like a guy whose HEW, but was convinced by his coach and brother to come back “for the team” and now he’s saying screw it and not cutting any weight 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Hayden sounds like a guy whose HEW, but was convinced by his coach and brother to come back “for the team” and now he’s saying screw it and not cutting any weight 

I have a hard time understanding why this bothers you so badly lol. If he wins the spot at 174, he’s talented enough to be at least an AA threat. He obviously peaked at 157 as his placement kept getting worse by the year. Why not come back at a comfortable weight and help your brother out? We also don’t know what he’s doing academically. He may be on to working on an advanced degree and getting scholarship money towards it. You’re making it sound like Pop and Trent are dragging him back into the room kicking and screaming and I assure you that’s not the case. 

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

Mach yes, Reenan probably not in folk style, Boykin nah, Gantt probably yes, Bullards would be broken into 196 pieces evenly. 

Edited by goheels1812

HH is a class act. I enjoy watching him wrestle except at VT matches. Dude has owned the ACC. TH comes off brash and arrogant. He’s good enough to let his wrestling speak for itself. Maybe he can learn a thing or two from “big” brother in the sportsmanship department 

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

I have a hard time understanding why this bothers you so badly lol. If he wins the spot at 174, he’s talented enough to be at least an AA threat. He obviously peaked at 157 as his placement kept getting worse by the year. Why not come back at a comfortable weight and help your brother out? We also don’t know what he’s doing academically. He may be on to working on an advanced degree and getting scholarship money towards it. You’re making it sound like Pop and Trent are dragging him back into the room kicking and screaming and I assure you that’s not the case. 

The guy has a chance to be ncaa champ at 165, if you are going to come back you come back to win a championship, I’m sure the 9 pounds aren’t going to make a difference in trents preparation but it’s the difference between a national title and 5/6 match for Hayden 

9 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

So here are all the facts and rumors I've heard in the last week. Because I'm lazy and for fun, I'm mixing the two.

• Presumably, Carter Starocci stays at 174
  • 165 lb NCAA champ Shane Griffith to 174
  • 165 lb NCAA champ Mekhi Lewis to 174
  • Kemdog back at 174
  • Hayden Hidlay will jump two weights to 174
  • AA Labriola is back at 174
  • AA Bernie Truax is back at 174
  • Both Romeros back at 174

Holy sh*t!! Is this really going to go down? This could be the toughest NCAA weight ever if it plays out as rumored.

133 could rival this:

• RBY
  • Fix
  • Rivera or Suriano 
  • Vito
  • Miccic
  • DeSanto 

crazy talent

Hidlay wasn't exactly tall for 157. He's going to be giving up some serious reach to guys like Kemerer and Starocci. 

A shorter guy like that is going to catch some serious head/hands defense from a guy like Starocci and get countered for 2.