wrestlingnerd

174 meat grinder extraordinaire

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Wouldn't it be cool if Abner Romero transferred and we had three Top 12-16 Romeros in the field?

How about if Brayton Lee (MN) has the best tournament of his life and wins NCAAs next year and Spencer and Nick repeat we would have 3 Lees as Champs without any being related!!! :)

17 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

How about if Brayton Lee (MN) has the best tournament of his life and wins NCAAs next year and Spencer and Nick repeat we would have 3 Lees as Champs without any being related!!! :)

Imagine if all the Lee brothers start for Penn State and make deep runs at 149/157/165, respectively.

Then imagine a reporting being as smart as a grape seed and asking Spencer "Why aren't you at Penn State with your brothers making history?" like that dunce who tried convincing Gilman he came out of nowhere.

19 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Kharchla won it if all the aforementioned guys actually move up. Or maybe Marinelli finally gets a title by attrition. I'm still having a hard time fathoming how much 165 clears out. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Kharchla won it all if all the aforementioned guys stay at 165.  

“I don’t just liking rocking opponents to their backs for first period techs, I like being rocked gently to sleep at night too. Be sure you get a great night’s sleep, like I do, with the Spencer Lee hammock.  Sets up anywhere in under 30 seconds.”

3 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

There are alleged, "in the know" people on this board and they'll tell you as much.

Exactly. Nobody knows what will happen and Stanford might even keep the program. We will see. Shane Griffith will wrestle at the weight he wants to wrestle at, for the team he wants to wrestle for, and 10 posters willing him to Michigan isn't going to change that.

13 hours ago, Welcome1 said:

Exactly. Nobody knows what will happen and Stanford might even keep the program. We will see. Shane Griffith will wrestle at the weight he wants to wrestle at, for the team he wants to wrestle for, and 10 posters willing him to Michigan isn't going to change that.

Could be wrong on this but I believe on FRL they've mentioned he's going 174 and Michigan is in the lead.  I know I've heard it outside this forum.  But I agree with you.   @Husker_Du &@JasonBryant are the most credible & "in the know" posters on these forums so if either of them ends up mentioning it then I'd say it would be pretty solid

On 4/9/2021 at 9:14 PM, goheels1812 said:

I have a hard time understanding why this bothers you so badly lol. If he wins the spot at 174, he’s talented enough to be at least an AA threat. He obviously peaked at 157 as his placement kept getting worse by the year. Why not come back at a comfortable weight and help your brother out? We also don’t know what he’s doing academically. He may be on to working on an advanced degree and getting scholarship money towards it. You’re making it sound like Pop and Trent are dragging him back into the room kicking and screaming and I assure you that’s not the case. 

You follow the acc closer than me.  What happened to Hidlay?  I thought his freshman year he gave Nolf a super tough match and I thought Hidlay was robbed verse Nolf the second.  I realize I'm in the minority view on that.  Just my opinion.  I thought with Nolf out of the way Hidlay would win title.  Did he regress or change weights?  

51 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

You follow the acc closer than me.  What happened to Hidlay?  I thought his freshman year he gave Nolf a super tough match and I thought Hidlay was robbed verse Nolf the second.  I realize I'm in the minority view on that.  Just my opinion.  I thought with Nolf out of the way Hidlay would win title.  Did he regress or change weights?  

Hey Shield, hope you’re doing well buddy.

I won’t pretend to be some kind of super expert, but I’ll throw my 2 cents in because I do watch a ton of ACC wrestling. I think Hidlay is going to be a case of a guy that never won because he ran into too many generational talents. If you take a look back at his ncaa tournament losses, he has a 6-2 finals loss to Nolf. A 3-2 semifinals loss to Nolf (where I do agree with you in that I thought Hidlay had a takedown, but I also think Nolf adjusts and wins the match ultimately). And then this year a 6-4 semifinals loss to Carr, who has a good chance to be a 4 time ncaa champion. That means Hidlays 3 championship bracket losses are Nolf x2 and Carr. In another timeline I think Hidlay is a 2 time, maybe 3 time ncaa champion. He just ran into some absolute meat grinders in his career. 

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

Hey Shield, hope you’re doing well buddy.

I won’t pretend to be some kind of super expert, but I’ll throw my 2 cents in because I do watch a ton of ACC wrestling. I think Hidlay is going to be a case of a guy that never won because he ran into too many generational talents. If you take a look back at his ncaa tournament losses, he has a 6-2 finals loss to Nolf. A 3-2 semifinals loss to Nolf (where I do agree with you in that I thought Hidlay had a takedown, but I also think Nolf adjusts and wins the match ultimately). And then this year a 6-4 semifinals loss to Carr, who has a good chance to be a 4 time ncaa champion. That means Hidlays 3 championship bracket losses are Nolf x2 and Carr. In another timeline I think Hidlay is a 2 time, maybe 3 time ncaa champion. He just ran into some absolute meat grinders in his career. 

That sounds like Moore.  He ran into Cox, then he stumbled his sophomore year, and junior year ran into Bo and then Corona.  

I didn't watch much of Hidlay.  I was super impressed that he gave Nolf very tough matches.  It seemed like many of Nolfs opponents lost before the match started. Hidley impressed me at least the second time, because he took it to Nolf and wrestled to win.