Plasmodium

Choking in FS and Greco.

At OTT, I saw two guys get choked out.  I think both guys came out ok.  Anyway, they walked off on their own and looked alert. 

In the Greco match, Sam Jones choked out Taylor Lamont and rolled his limp body across the mat for a tech and an end to the match.  

In the FS match, Zahid Valencia choked out Nate Jackson and rolled his limp body across for a bunch of points.  After Jackson regained consciousness, they wiped all but two of the points off.  They then resumed the match. Jackson wasn't the same wrestler and Zahid tried unsuccessfully to choke him out again. 

Are the two rulesets different or just the refs?  How in hell can the officials or Nate Jackson's corner allow that match to continue? 

I've refereed a ton of matches and an astute ref who stays well positioned and understands what is going on will jump in immediately when they see the wrestler become defenseless.  If the ref has never wrestled they may not recognize the position or the position as potentially dangerous and not respond quick enough.  I did not see the Jones/Lamont match but from your description the ref should have been all over that like white on rice.  In the Zahid match I saw the move...it was a legal front headlock (had the head and arm) with a lot of pressure causing Nate to pass out.

I am not sure of how the scoring should go but I would think the way they scored the Zahid match would be more accurate as Jackson was defenseless during the subsequent turns. Lastly, I think they would allow the match to continue once the choked out wrestler is ready.  Otherwise, it may end up in more wrestlers trying to choke out the opponent just to get the win.

Coach Demeo had a great story about Dave Schultz complaining at a World championship that they had decided his FHL was illegal after the first round. Apparently, Coach slapped him in the face and told him he didn’t need the FHL and he won anyway. Ironically, using his “radar single” where he stepped on the foot and grabbed a high snatch single.

Point is, some of the best competitors in the sport bend the rules as much as they can get away with. Even saw Helen, who I consider to be a very clean wrestler, yank a girl up by her entire face to get a lock at OTT.

It is up to the refs to protect the athletes, first and foremost, which they shouldn’t forget. Some refs, especially some foreign ones, seem to sadistically delight in pain being inflicted even outside the rules, or at least they won’t interfere. I think that is terrible for the sport; if you want to be a cage fighter, there is no shortage of opportunities to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

It is up to the refs to protect the athletes, first and foremost, which they shouldn’t forget. Some refs, especially some foreign ones, seem to sadistically delight in pain being inflicted even outside the rules, or at least they won’t interfere. I think that is terrible for the sport; if you want to be a cage fighter, there is no shortage of opportunities to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are the types of posts that keep me endlessly entertained...

Baker was choked out... few seconds.. who was the gr guy that was choked out, convulsing, he took 2 minutes injury time and continued... quickly got teched thereafter.  I did not think it should continue... but this is the trials...