TheOhioState

Now Heffernan's retired, who replaces him at Illinois?

Didn't see it, and it was right below.  

I will say that there are a lot of good names presented on the Illinois thread, but it's going to have to be someone really special to lift Illinois to the elite level where PSU, Iowa, Oklahoma State and Ohio State reside.   (And don't grouse about Ohio State's 9th place this year...you know they'll be back on the podium soon enough.)

Three of those four teams are coached by gold medalist legends, and one- Ohio State- is coached by a guy that knows how to lift programs without the advantage of a phenomenal  personal wrestling background.

So, who do you go for?  

I vote for a program builder.  A J Robinson kind of guy.  A Tom Ryan kind of guy.  

If I could steal Pat Popolizio away from NC State, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

He's done it, and he can do it again.

4 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

Didn't see it, and it was right below.  

I will say that there are a lot of good names presented on the Illinois thread, but it's going to have to be someone really special to lift Illinois to the elite level where PSU, Iowa, Oklahoma State and Ohio State reside.   (And don't grouse about Ohio State's 9th place this year...you know they'll be back on the podium soon enough.)

Three of those four teams are coached by gold medalist legends, and one- Ohio State- is coached by a guy that knows how to lift programs without the advantage of a phenomenal  personal wrestling background.

So, who do you go for?  

I vote for a program builder.  A J Robinson kind of guy.  A Tom Ryan kind of guy.  

If I could steal Pat Popolizio away from NC State, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

He's done it, and he can do it again.

You’ve put Tom Ryan out there twice in two posts, as an Ohio State fan, a less discerning reader might think you wanted Tom Ryan to hop on the ol’ coaching carousel.  Going to be tougher now that Tervel is gone too.  

The facilities are lacking and Champaign is not a special place in any way shape or form. That will be a tough sell to attract a big name. Illinois will have to really be serious about supporting the program to attract a big name. I don't see it happening. 

Tom Ryan would be a fool to take the Illinois job! 

19 minutes ago, TexRef said:

The facilities are lacking and Champaign is not a special place in any way shape or form. That will be a tough sell to attract a big name. Illinois will have to really be serious about supporting the program to attract a big name. I don't see it happening. 

Tom Ryan would be a fool to take the Illinois job! 

This has been hashed and rehashed several times , two different threads. No established head coach of a top 10 or probably 20 school wants this situation. 

5 hours ago, Drew87 said:

You’ve put Tom Ryan out there twice in two posts, as an Ohio State fan, a less discerning reader might think you wanted Tom Ryan to hop on the ol’ coaching carousel.  Going to be tougher now that Tervel is gone too.  

Nope, I don't want Tom Ryan to leave.  On the contrary,  there's no one else I'd rather have  leading the Buckeyes. 

No one.

I'm saying that Pat Popolizio is the kind of guy that could turn around a program like Illinois.  If he was willing to take the Illinois job- and if it was offered to him, it would be the best thing that could happen to their wrestling program.  

A guy like Brian Smith fits the bill, too.  

Jason Borrelli is a good choice.

Edited by TheOhioState

Why in the world would Brian Smith leave a program he's built into a national power to assume the position of butt boy in the Big 10? Mizzou to Illinois isn't even a lateral move, it's a plummet off a precipice. Same for Popolizio, he's got a good thing going and doesn't need to downgrade. Illinois is stuck with trying to find a great coach who isn't willing to take a step down.  I think they should look outside the usual candidates. J Rob was ran off in disgrace, but if he's not actually banned from coaching in D1 then Illinois should give him a ring. How about Terry Brands? True, he'd be Tom's bitch for many years, but he'd be the guy in charge and I bet he'd do a pretty good job of it. You know what Dante said: it's better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven (or in this case serve in Hell). 

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Why in the world would Brian Smith leave a program he's built into a national power to assume the position of butt boy in the Big 10? Mizzou to Illinois isn't even a lateral move, it's a plummet off a precipice. Same for Popolizio, he's got a good thing going and doesn't need to downgrade. Illinois is stuck with trying to find a great coach who isn't willing to take a step down.  I think they should look outside the usual candidates. J Rob was ran off in disgrace, but if he's not actually banned from coaching in D1 then Illinois should give him a ring. How about Terry Brands? True, he'd be Tom's bitch for many years, but he'd be the guy in charge and I bet he'd do a pretty good job of it. You know what Dante said: it's better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven (or in this case serve in Hell). 

Toms bitch? I was always under the impression Terry preferred being a room guy

1 hour ago, jp157 said:

Toms bitch? I was always under the impression Terry preferred being a room guy

I'm not saying he's Tom's bitch now, I'm saying he'll be Tom's bitch if Terry becomes the HC at Illinois. Can you imagine the beatdowns the Illini will suffer at Iowa's hands while Terry is building up the program? Regarding Terry preferring to be a room guy, that's great, he can find an experienced 2nd banana to do the check signing and glad handing. Plus, people change over the years. Terry is, what, about 50 years old now? Maybe he wants to be HC now in charge of his own program. I bet Terry would attract a lot of talent to Illinois just based on his name and reputation. If I was a little guy I'd definitely want the Brands coaching me. 

8 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I'm not saying he's Tom's bitch now, I'm saying he'll be Tom's bitch if Terry becomes the HC at Illinois. Can you imagine the beatdowns the Illini will suffer at Iowa's hands while Terry is building up the program? Regarding Terry preferring to be a room guy, that's great, he can find an experienced 2nd banana to do the check signing and glad handing. Plus, people change over the years. Terry is, what, about 50 years old now? Maybe he wants to be HC now in charge of his own program. I bet Terry would attract a lot of talent to Illinois just based on his name and reputation. If I was a little guy I'd definitely want the Brands coaching me. 

Gotcha. Wasn’t Terry at UTC?

If I was the AD at Illinois, you'd better believe that Brian Smith and Pat Popolizio and others of that caliber would look strongly at Illinois.  I'd offer them the best salary in the Big Ten and a promise of a state-of-the-art facility.   

There's a great coach out there that's the perfect fit.  You've got to be more than a coach, though.  You have to sell the program.  Ryan did it at Ohio State.  

6 minutes ago, TheOhioState said:

If I was the AD at Illinois, you'd better believe that Brian Smith and Pat Popolizio and others of that caliber would look strongly at Illinois.  I'd offer them the best salary in the Big Ten and a promise of a state-of-the-art facility.   

There's a great coach out there that's the perfect fit.  You've got to be more than a coach, though.  You have to sell the program.  Ryan did it at Ohio State.  

I guess that’s why you live in Ohio and post on a message board. 

39 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Tony Ramos makes the most sense. 

He has the local connections, alumni support and has proven himself at UNC. I think he’d be a great fit 

Better fit than Poeta? Alumnus, longer coaching career, currently on staff, and has never had a maturity lapse like Ramos did when leaving Iowa.

14 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Better fit than Poeta? Alumnus, longer coaching career, currently on staff, and has never had a maturity lapse like Ramos did when leaving Iowa.

To be clear, "A maturity lapse" only visualized by Iowa Hawkeye wrestling fans.  I have a hard time seeing that being ANY form of an issue for him moving forward.

17 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I don’t believe J has a show-cause order against him, because I don’t believe he committed any NCAA violations. (Nobody is technically banned from coaching, the University just often has to negotiate a punishment for the coach, and “show cause” that he won’t commit further violations)

That said, pretty sure an AD would have a difficult time hiring J, especially an intra-conference AD. The Gophers were trending downward late in his tenure, even before the incident, and Josh Whitman probably would shudder at hiring somebody who’s probably viewed as a PR nightmare for somebody who wouldn’t be much more than a stopgap anyway. (He turns 75 in June)

I always loved dealing with J, but his coaching career is almost certainly over, retroactive to the date Gopher AD Mark Coyle fired him.

15 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Terry has been a head coach before and left that job to return to Iowa. I get the sense he much prefers the on the mat aspects of coaching to the bureaucratic stuff that he doesn't have to deal with as an assistant. While he's not a head coach, you won't find an assistant (other than maybe Cunningham) that gets as much praise for their development of their guys.