TheOhioState

Now Heffernan's retired, who replaces him at Illinois?

23 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

You think Mark Perry goes back? 

A real outside the box long shot would be Izzy Martinez. 

Carl will have taken the job for free (zero salary) before either Mary Perry Jr or Izzy Martinez make the long list.  ;_ 

People keep mentioning Tony Ramos. Why not Coleman Scott with Ramos as an assistant? Maybe keep Poeta and/or Hunter around still.

Scott was only making $135k (base) this year and his contract runs out in a couple months. Illinois could offer 200k+ pretty easy. Can't say UNC's facilities are better. Better recruiting area. Big 10 vs. ACC. Right in the middle of where he grew up and went to college.

Maybe Scott loves UNC that much?

Fits the mold of what AD Whitman has done with previous coaching hires in finding previous head coaches (5 of 6 have been).

32 minutes ago, cowcards15 said:

People keep mentioning Tony Ramos. Why not Coleman Scott with Ramos as an assistant? Maybe keep Poeta and/or Hunter around still.

Scott was only making $135k (base) this year and his contract runs out in a couple months. Illinois could offer 200k+ pretty easy. Can't say UNC's facilities are better. Better recruiting area. Big 10 vs. ACC. Right in the middle of where he grew up and went to college.

Fits the mold of what AD Whitman has done with previous coaching hires in finding previous head coaches (5 of 6 have been).

Scott is from Waynesburg, PA

2 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Speaking of which, what is former UI assistant coach Carl Perry doing these days?

Last I knew he was with FCA back east coast maybe home state, believe his wife got a good job/position back there when they moved.  Assuming he is still doing something with youth wresting but I don't know for sure.

10 hours ago, ionel said:

Last I knew he was with FCA back east coast maybe home state, believe his wife got a good job/position back there when they moved.  Assuming he is still doing something with youth wresting but I don't know for sure.

Looks like he is the FCA wrestling director out in NC - https://fcawrestling.org/regional-fcaw-staff/carl-perry-2/

14 hours ago, cowcards15 said:

Do you know what Heffernan made?

48 minutes ago, calot said:

Around 195k was set to make 216k for the  22-23 season 

Oh wow.   Yeah I wonder then if even Scott could be a possibility (maybe leaving Ramos as next in line at UNC?).    I bet COL in Champaign is probably even lower than the Triangle.

I think it’s also worth pointing out that really any Big10 program means you will have some admin support, some facility support, full scholarships and are extremely unlikely to have the program cut. 

Even a school like UNC, who has by all accounts been very supportive, is more likely to cut their program than a Big10 school 

Add to that Illinois is in a perfect spot to trend upwards and even just tapping into local talent will get you a few AAs, it is probably a dream job for even successful coaches at good programs outside the Big10. 

i don’t think this happens, but I bet you a Pat Pop type guy would be very tempted

all that said, my pick is Ramos

58 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I think it’s also worth pointing out that really any Big10 program means you will have some admin support, some facility support, full scholarships and are extremely unlikely to have the program cut. 

Even a school like UNC, who has by all accounts been very supportive, is more likely to cut their program than a Big10 school 

Add to that Illinois is in a perfect spot to trend upwards and even just tapping into local talent will get you a few AAs, it is probably a dream job for even successful coaches at good programs outside the Big10. 

i don’t think this happens, but I bet you a Pat Pop type guy would be very tempted

all that said, my pick is Ramos

Popolizio would be the grand slam hire for me, but I think he makes too much already (230k+). Would Illinois be willing to offer 275k or so?

I know Whitman has said he wants to upgrade the wrestling facilities but is still waiting on funding for it. They have done or are doing upgrades to Football, Basketball, Soccer, Track, Golf, and Baseball. They were going to add hockey before corona. He has shown he is going to upgrade when he gets the chance.

Ramos doesn't really fit the mold of who Whitman has hired before. He's made 6 hires so far and 5 have been head coaches before for a few years and the other had 10+ years as an assistant under a few different coaches at some of the best programs in the country. I think you'd see Poeta/Hunter before Ramos.

Edited by cowcards15

5 hours ago, calot said:

Around 195k was set to make 216k for the  22-23 season 

this is mind boggling to me.  i thought there's no way in hell heff is pulling in 200k like you referenced in your post about the I googled it and saw the numbers.

makes you wonder what cael is really making!!!

4 hours ago, Witherman said:

this is mind boggling to me.  i thought there's no way in hell heff is pulling in 200k like you referenced in your post about the I googled it and saw the numbers.

That money goes a long way in Champaign IL. Shocked more people aren't wanting the job. Lots of good assistants aren't apply

8 hours ago, Witherman said:

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/heffernan-rates-extension/article_a4576d31-6a2e-5a69-859f-064f2cd29a49.html#:~:text=Illinois announced on Thursday morning,the 2022-23 school year.

11 minutes ago, The Take Out said:

They would never hire Mark Perry in a million years.  The AD hates him.  He is one disaster after another.

What’s wrong with Perry? I thought he was the guy we helped make IMar into the monster that he was...

Illinois announced on Thursday morning a five-year extension for the Illinois wrestling coach, keeping him with the Illini through the 2023 season. Heffernan's current salary is $185,940 and it will increase to $215,940 for the 2022-23 school year.

1 minute ago, Mphillips said:

Illinois announced on Thursday morning a five-year extension for the Illinois wrestling coach, keeping him with the Illini through the 2023 season. Heffernan's current salary is $185,940 and it will increase to $215,940 for the 2022-23 school year.

link?

2 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

It says he's through 2023. But it's dated 2018. So...I'm a dummy. I was excited he was staying for about 6 minutes. I'm gonna delete, but I'm still a dummy. MY BAD.

Maybe you should check with spladle08 before posting on these here forums he can double check with Rizzo for you.  ;)