TheOhioState

Now Heffernan's retired, who replaces him at Illinois?

15 minutes ago, cowcards15 said:

According to Willie in his mailbag, these 4 did interviews via Zoom.

Doug Schwab, Mark Branch, Mike Poeta, and Tony Ramos.

I think I would rank them (my preference); Branch, Schwab, Poeta, Ramos.

Schawb and Branch have to be heavy favorites here. 

I'm definitely in the minority here, I think but, I'm hoping it's Ramos. 

I think he would be the biggest gamble but I think hiring him potentially brings the biggest returns to the program. Fund raising to recruiting, relevance, etc.

Do it, Illinois. 

3 minutes ago, Cementmixer103 said:

I'm definitely in the minority here, I think but, I'm hoping it's Ramos. 

I think he would be the biggest gamble but I think hiring him potentially brings the biggest returns to the program. Fund raising to recruiting, relevance, etc.

Do it, Illinois. 

I would definitely try to hire him as an assistant of some sort. I just don't see Head Coach, yet. I'm not in the interview though and have no clue how he is at UNC.

46 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Ramos would definitely have a solid connection to the Chicago suburbs. Kind of perplexed that they (IL) let Dean Hamiti get away to Wisconsin.

Because the Chicago suburbs aren't loyal to one Big Ten school. You have over 10,000 Mizzou alums alone and that's a fraction compared to Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio St. alums. Entire suburbs don't even look at the home state schools unless it's University of Chicago or Northwestern. 

Edited by MizzouGrad

Just curious here - but we quite often see people chiming in on who should be the next coach at X program. Does anybody on this board actually have any relevant information on what coaching skills these candidates have, or are people just going with the normal "good wrestler = good coach" approach? I, clearly, have the slightest clue as to whether any of these guys fit the bill, lol. 

Is the suggestion that Ramos, who moved out of Illinois as an 18 year old in 2009 and has since been living in Iowa and North Carolina, somehow has extensive recruiting resources in Chicagoland or is viewed as a big draw among high school wrestlers who were in elementary school that last time he lived in the state full time?

This isn't a knock on Ramos; it's more about the people who evaluate candidates for every opening based on where they grew up without considering what happened since then.

26 minutes ago, backpack said:

Just curious here - but we quite often see people chiming in on who should be the next coach at X program. Does anybody on this board actually have any relevant information on what coaching skills these candidates have, or are people just going with the normal "good wrestler = good coach" approach? I, clearly, have the slightest clue as to whether any of these guys fit the bill, lol. 

Think about the idea that the next time your favorite college football/basketball or pro sports team hired a head coach and the first collective question from everyone was: How good of a player was he/she at said sport? 

It never happens. It's not even a consideration. Nick Saban played football at Toledo. If college football operated the same way as wrestling, people would be clamoring for Vince Young or Reggie Bush or some recent college star to have been hired over Saban. In fact, Saban would have never been hired at a major conference. 

1 hour ago, MizzouGrad said:

Because the Chicago suburbs aren't loyal to one Big Ten school. You have over 10,000 Mizzou alums alone and that's a fraction compared to Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio St. alums. Entire suburbs don't even look at the home state schools unless it's University of Chicago or Northwestern. 

Illinois is a significantly better school than University of Chicago and Northwestern in MANY majors. Unless you're going to be an econ major and go to work at Daddy's Hedge Fund, IL is a better option.

Illinois is a top 10 engineering school overall. Civil (#2), Computer (#4), Mech (#5), Electrical (#5), Environmental (#5), Materials (#5), Aerospace (#6), Nuclear (#7), Biological (#8). A top 5 Computer Science school. Top 10 biology and chemistry school. 

Edited by Le duke

47 minutes ago, backpack said:

For wrestling, credentials tend to matter quite a bit to wrestlers. But, no. That's not the only thing. When I go back through their NCAA results (both have 10+ years).

Finishes since 2010 (Starting with 2021 and no 2020):
Schwab: 19, 13, 24, 18, 25, 34, 15, 15, 34, 46, 40
Branch: 26, 34,17, 21, 18, 39, 53, 23, 19, 28, 33

There isn't a lot of difference there. It really comes down to who you think is probably going to recruit better.

35 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Illinois is a significantly better school than University of Chicago and Northwestern in MANY majors. Unless you're going to be an econ major and go to work at Daddy's Hedge Fund, IL is a better option.

Illinois is a top 10 engineering school overall. Civil (#2), Computer (#4), Mech (#5), Electrical (#5), Environmental (#5), Materials (#5), Aerospace (#6), Nuclear (#7), Biological (#8). A top 5 Computer Science school. Top 10 biology and chemistry school. 

Illinois is a great engineering school no doubt. But it's not near as prestigious as UoC or Northwestern. And in the Tony suburbs of Chicago, prestige is king. 

58 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Also, Accounting #2 or #3.  When considering a university education one should be concerned about the quality/ranking of the specific program area, department that they plan to major in not simply the overall rank of the entire university.  Using usnews ranking by my count the University of Illinois has 7 majors/departments ranked in the top 5 and ~13 ranked 6 to 10.  This is across departments and colleges common to most universities.  They have other top 10 programs that aren't in these ranking.  By comparison with Northwestern they  list a single top 5 (it is #5 and UofI's same program is #2) and 3 that are ranked 6 to 10.

I'm sure NW has other majors ranked high that aren't on this common list as does UofI for instance Finance, one of their Agricultural majors things like Library Science that might not make the common list etc.  

And all that said, its not strictly about where you go to college but more about what you learn and get that first foot in the door and what you do with it.  Is a degree in Art from Northwestern better than an Art Degree from Iowa, yeah probably so.  Does a degree in AI from UofI have more value than an Art degree from NW, probably so.  That said there are a lot of wrestling who end up undeclared or general studies majors, so maybe they aren't concerned about the ranking for the Aero Eng program.  I also know of one of those Iowa Art majors, did quite well in wrestling, don't think using the Art degree.  :-) 

University of Illinois also has a very large and still growing Research Park with many startups and also opportunities for undergrads as well as grad students.  You can thank the UofI for the fact that we actually have a browser to interact on this here web vs the original "terminal" type approach.  

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, MizzouGrad said:

Think about the idea that the next time your favorite college football/basketball or pro sports team hired a head coach and the first collective question from everyone was: How good of a player was he/she at said sport? 

It never happens. It's not even a consideration. Nick Saban played football at Toledo. If college football operated the same way as wrestling, people would be clamoring for Vince Young or Reggie Bush or some recent college star to have been hired over Saban. In fact, Saban would have never been hired at a major conference. 

Agreed that it seems to be unique to wrestling and I've never gotten it. I'm surprised David Taylor and Jordan Burroughs weren't the leading candidates on this thread!

Illinois needs a guy from IL to recruit IL.  Poeta is from IL who stayed in state and went to IL.  He took a 3rd, 2nd (robbed as a JR), 2nd and is the best guy for this current situation.   He will also stay here until he retires.  IL will be making a huge mistake not to pull the  trigger here.

The High school coaches love Mike!  You want the guy who bleeds orange and blue not a black and yellow guy.

Edited by The Take Out

2 minutes ago, The Take Out said:

Illinois needs a guy from IL to recruit IL.  Poeta is from IL who stayed in state and went to IL.  He took a 3rd, 2nd (robbed as a JR), 2nd and is the best guy for this current situation.   He will also stay here until he retires.  IL will be making a huge mistake not to pull the  trigger here.

The High school coaches love Mike!  You want the guy who bleeds orange and blue not a black and yellow guy.

But would he be a good a head coach? He's only been an assistant for a few years.

5 hours ago, cowcards15 said:

According to Willie in his mailbag, these 4 did interviews via Zoom.

Doug Schwab, Mark Branch, Mike Poeta, and Tony Ramos.

I think I would rank them (my preference); Branch, Schwab, Poeta, Ramos.

If Poeta has the recommendation of Heffernan (I don't know if he does or not), it would be difficult for the AD to overlook that. Likewise Mark Johnson, who is still treated like royalty in Champaign.

3 hours ago, Gantry said:

I selfishly don't want Branch to get it because he's doing such a good job at Wyoming that I wouldn't want that program to potentially suffer. 

any chance a school like that would fold the program?  They are pretty far from the teams they go against, they are the least populated state and i don't think they replaced the head assistant a year ago (right?)