headshuck

Undefeated for 4 years of high school

2 hours ago, headshuck said:

How many wrestlers would you say made it through 4 years undefeated would you guess?

NJ only has 2 in its entire history ...technically 3 but one was injured and didn’t compete in the post season his freshman year where he probably would’ve lost 

2 hours ago, BadgerMon said:

With all of the school divisions...I would say the rate has tripled since the 70s.

It used to be a rather rare thing......diluted now.

You believe states have increased the number of divisions in their states...about how many?  I think Ohio has stayed the same...Michigan has gone from 3 to 4...others???

Not many from PA. I know Kolat and Marstellar did it, and there are others too. I have seen lists. But incredible h.s. wrestlers like Jimmy Carr, Spencer Lee, Chris Kwortnik, Joey Wildasin, Troy Letters, Jordan Oliver and Wade Schalles all had at least one loss. Nico Megaludis, Jason Nolf and Zain Retherford had at least one loss. 

Gavin Teasdale came close until Beau Bartlett beat him. 

PIAA 4 time champs undefeated untied. Marstellar, Kolat, Mike Johnson, Conklin had a tie. I had thought maybe garrett Scott was undefeated, did not wrestle states as a senior, academi reason. But as a frosh, 2 close losses to Jake Strayer

About half dozen with one loss, 3 or 4 titles

1 minute ago, RichB said:

PIAA 4 time champs undefeated untied. Marstellar, Kolat, Mike Johnson, Conklin had a tie. I had thought maybe garrett Scott was undefeated, did not wrestle states as a senior, academi reason. But as a frosh, 2 close losses to Jake Strayer

About half dozen with one loss, 3 or 4 titles

Johnson is from Lock Haven and wrestled in the 50's? Pretty sure I read about his talents along the way. 

Edited by TBar1977

From Indiana off the top of my head: Chad Red, Alex Tsirtsis, and Lance Ellis.

Tough to do in single class. I believe Andrew Howe's only career loss was as a freshman to Reece Humphrey in the finals. Escobedo had 1 loss on that same Griffith team with Tsirtsis. Don't know who he lost to. Nick Lee only had 2 losses, both at the state tournament. Micic as a freshman and Red as a junior. Skipped his senior year and finished as the best 1x champ of all time imo.

Vito Arujau's only folkstyle loss was to Yianni in 8th grade, so he was undefeated his last four years.

Yianni lost three times, but those losses were in 7th grade, as he finished with a 213 match winning streak, going undefeated in 8th/9th/10th/11th grade.  So, undefeated for four straight years in HS.

Actually, Greg Diakomihalis also was undefeated his last four years in HS matches (his senior year started late due to injury, but of course he won the state title that year, too).

All three in NY, of course.

Edited by klehner

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Not many from PA. I know Kolat and Marstellar did it, and there are others too. I have seen lists. But incredible h.s. wrestlers like Jimmy Carr, Spencer Lee, Chris Kwortnik, Joey Wildasin, Troy Letters, Jordan Oliver and Wade Schalles all had at least one loss. Nico Megaludis, Jason Nolf and Zain Retherford had at least one loss. 

Gavin Teasdale came close until Beau Bartlett beat him. 

I don't think Letters was that close to going undefeated.  He only won 2 titles.  Lost in the finals to Justin Giovinco his Sophomore year. His freshman year he DNPed and was ejected from the tournament for biting his opponent.  

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

NJ only has 2 in its entire history ...technically 3 but one was injured and didn’t compete in the post season his freshman year where he probably would’ve lost 

I believe Gerry Nisivoccia (~'72) also but only 2 years. Don't remember what was up with that.

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

From Indiana off the top of my head: Chad Red, Alex Tsirtsis, and Lance Ellis.

Tough to do in single class. I believe Andrew Howe's only career loss was as a freshman to Reece Humphrey in the finals. Escobedo had 1 loss on that same Griffith team with Tsirtsis. Don't know who he lost to. Nick Lee only had 2 losses, both at the state tournament. Micic as a freshman and Red as a junior. Skipped his senior year and finished as the best 1x champ of all time imo.

Escobedo lost to an Illinois kid. Can’t remember who. Didn’t lose to anyone from Indiana. 

3 hours ago, Mphillips said:

To be fair the kids are probably wrestling triple the number of matches since the 70's as well...

No kidding. My last year of Elementary School (1977)  I was the 97 pound "Green Country Wrestling Champion" (hehe) and wrestled a total of 15 matches. I think the grade school kids today, especially if they are really good and wrestle a few opens every year, easily top 40 or even 50 matches per year. In HS I averaged 24 matches a year, and kids today wrestle 40 or more routinely. The kids today have the opportunity to get better quicker than they used to. The skill level shown by true freshmen today is often on par, or superior, to their upperclassmen. I wonder how many matches, FS/Greco/Folk, Spencer Lee has wrestled in his career? I bet at least 500.