headshuck

Undefeated for 4 years of high school

Pretty sure Logan Stieber has 1 loss his freshman year to David Taylor and that’s it. I think DT had one or two losses, could never manage to find the names of the wrestler(s) who beat him. 

On 4/12/2021 at 4:31 PM, RichB said:
Johnson Lock Haven HS 58-61, Pitt career ended after sophomore year. (Injured in finals?).

Unscored upon in HS

Not true. Johnson gave up points in HS. Aside from being the first 2nd undefeated, untied 4x champ in PA history, his claim to fame was never giving up a takedown.

http://www.pa-wrestling.com/hs/teams/lockhaven/athlete_stats.htm?id=108100

EDIT:  Forgot about Jerry Maurey being the first.  

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

17 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

You believe states have increased the number of divisions in their states...about how many?  I think Ohio has stayed the same...Michigan has gone from 3 to 4...others???

Wisconsin went from 1 to 3 in about 1980. Before that....No one in the state had achieved it. Mike Medchill was closest with 3. We've now had at least 3 who have achieved 4 undefeated seasons since,,,,Jake Donar, Matt Hanutke and Kevin Black.

I'm sure others here could offer some info. 

15 hours ago, Le duke said:

RBY was 182-0 in HS out in Arizona. 

Also of note: He's ranked 6th by Wrestlestat heading into 2022.

Angel Cejudo was probably the best high school wrestler in AZ history. 4x undefeated. Too bad he skipped college. 

Edited by gobraves101905

17 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

From Indiana off the top of my head: Chad Red, Alex Tsirtsis, and Lance Ellis.

Tough to do in single class. I believe Andrew Howe's only career loss was as a freshman to Reece Humphrey in the finals. Escobedo had 1 loss on that same Griffith team with Tsirtsis. Don't know who he lost to. Nick Lee only had 2 losses, both at the state tournament. Micic as a freshman and Red as a junior. Skipped his senior year and finished as the best 1x champ of all time imo.

Blake Maurer was a 4xer with 2 losses (one in state and one to Joe Dennis from St. Parris Graham) 

Mason Parris and Brayton Lee came close.  Both finished their careers as 3xers with one loss.  Parris lost in the semis as a freshman and B Lee got pinned at semi state as a freshman.  Neither were seriously challenged their last 3 years.

Ellis was 178-0 and pinned something like 155 of them.  He is an Indiana legend for sure, but I don't think he had many national credentials.

Edited by Bozak2018

16 hours ago, funnyfletcher said:

Here's the Iowa list

Dan Gable 64-0

Jeff Kerber 126-0

Dan Knight 128-0

Jeff McGinness 172-0

Eric Juergens 144-0

John Meeks 168-0

3 more Iowa kids who were very close:

Cory Clark lost 1 career match to Jack Hathaway as a senior. Avenged it for his 4th title.

Teske and Thomsen split matches their senior year to give each other their only career losses en route to 4 titles.

Another that comes to mind is Schriever. I don't know if he had losses before this, but he broke his ankle (or something like that), tried to wrestle the state tournament on it, but had to forfeit out in the semis. Finished with 3 titles.

14 hours ago, backpack said:

Pretty sure Logan Stieber has 1 loss his freshman year to David Taylor and that’s it. I think DT had one or two losses, could never manage to find the names of the wrestler(s) who beat him. 

I'm pretty sure one of them was Jamie Clark. Not sure on the other. I believe both of them were very early freshman year.

10 minutes ago, Bozak2018 said:

Blake Maurer was a 4xer with 2 losses (one in state and one to Joe Dennis from St. Parris Graham) 

Mason Parris and Brayton Lee came close.  Both finished their careers as 3xers with one loss.  Parris lost in the semis as a freshman and B Lee got pinned at semi state as a freshman.  Neither were seriously challenged their last 3 years.

Ellis was 178-0 and pinned something like 155 of them.  He is an Indiana legend for sure, but I don't think he had many national credentials.

Lee getting pinned and not qualifying was so wild (Indiana doesn't have full wrestle backs). Bethel was a giant killer. Knocked off Joe Lee in another huge upset the next year I'm pretty sure.

23 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Cory Clark lost 1 career match to Jack Hathaway as a senior. Avenged it for his 4th title.

Teske and Thomsen split matches their senior year to give each other their only career losses en route to 4 titles.

Another that comes to mind is Schriever. I don't know if he had losses before this, but he broke his ankle (or something like that), tried to wrestle the state tournament on it, but had to forfeit out in the semis. Finished with 3 titles.

Schriever lost to Jacob Rundell in Cheesehead Finals his sophomore year, other than that he had medical forfeits his senior year at cheesehead and state.

Just now, Mpchillin said:

Schriever lost to Jacob Rundell in Cheesehead Finals his sophomore year, other than that he had medical forfeits his senior year at cheesehead and state.

Thanks, I thought I remembered something about the Cheesehead.

18 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

From Indiana off the top of my head: Chad Red, Alex Tsirtsis, and Lance Ellis.

Tough to do in single class. I believe Andrew Howe's only career loss was as a freshman to Reece Humphrey in the finals. Escobedo had 1 loss on that same Griffith team with Tsirtsis. Don't know who he lost to. Nick Lee only had 2 losses, both at the state tournament. Micic as a freshman and Red as a junior. Skipped his senior year and finished as the best 1x champ of all time imo.

You have to remember indiana didn’t  allow freshman during certain years. I know of a few 3 timers, when freshman were not eligible .

Just now, southend said:

You have to remember indiana didn’t  allow freshman during certain years. I know of a few 3 timers, when freshman were not eligible .

Good point. It's always hard to compare guys from the early eras to the modern guys. 

Personally, I think the best I ever saw in person was Jason Tsirtsis. He had the two weird losses his freshman year, but he was so ridiculous when he was a senior. Bumped up 2 weight classes at one point in the season and majored Bobby Steveson. He lit up everyone on the national circuit too, including a great showing at the 2012 last chance where he beat Darrion Caldwell. His college career got off the rails a bit due to some tragic off the mat stuff, but came in and won as a freshman. Would have been a great rivalry with Zain. He won all the early match ups.

19 hours ago, Lurker said:

Escobedo lost to an Illinois kid. Can’t remember who. Didn’t lose to anyone from Indiana. 

Pretty certain the IL opponent you are referring to was Joe Gomez and I'm really grasping but I think that's the same season that Joe beat Poeta. 

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

Pretty certain the IL opponent you are referring to was Joe Gomez and I'm really grasping but I think that's the same season that Joe beat Poeta. 

I believe you’re right about it being Gomez. 

18 hours ago, Le duke said:

RBY was 182-0 in HS out in Arizona. 

Also of note: He's ranked 6th by Wrestlestat heading into 2022.

Another 4x undefeated AZ guy was Waldo Gutierrez from Morenci. After that it gets kind of thin. Jacob Swift was a 4x guy but might've had a loss wrestling as a freshman? Angel Cejudo had a loss by injury default in a match he was comfortably winning his freshman year so he wasn't undefeated despite winning 4x. After that I don't know. I think maybe one of the Camp Verde 4x champs might have done it, Allred? 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I believe you’re right about it being Gomez. 

I don't think Joe Gomez and Mike Poeta ever wrestled each other. Only season would have been third sophomore year, if Poeta bumped up, but they never would have met in a dual, so it would have been a tournament.

In 2004, Poeta won 152, and Gomez won 130.

In 2003, Poeta won 140 and Gomez took second at 125.

In 2002, Poeta took third at 119 and Gomez took third at 125.

In 2001, Poeta took third at 103 and Gomez won 119.

Edited by Le duke

6 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Yeah, a relative of mine ended up beating Schriever due to injury in the state tournament.

7 hours ago, BadgerMon said:

Wisconsin went from 1 to 3 in about 1980. Before that....No one in the state had achieved it. Mike Medchill was closest with 3. We've now had at least 3 who have achieved 4 undefeated seasons since,,,,Jake Donar, Matt Hanutke and Kevin Black.

I'm sure others here could offer some info. 

Hanutke was the first to go undefeated for four years wrestling for Pittsville.  He was the second four-time state champ in Wisconsin.  The first four-timer in Wisconsin was Mike Nockels of LaCrosse Aquinas.  Nockels won his titles when the private schools were organized separately from the public schools under WISAA.   

Black was the first to go undefeated for the large-school division (Division 1, formerly Class A).  I thought Dennis Hall was going to pull that off, but he stumbled his sophomore year with a tie in the dual against Steve Hoffmann and later a loss in the state quarter finals against Hoffmann.