headshuck

Undefeated for 4 years of high school

6 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Good point. It's always hard to compare guys from the early eras to the modern guys. 

Personally, I think the best I ever saw in person was Jason Tsirtsis. He had the two weird losses his freshman year, but he was so ridiculous when he was a senior. Bumped up 2 weight classes at one point in the season and majored Bobby Steveson. He lit up everyone on the national circuit too, including a great showing at the 2012 last chance where he beat Darrion Caldwell. His college career got off the rails a bit due to some tragic off the mat stuff, but came in and won as a freshman. Would have been a great rivalry with Zain. He won all the early match ups.

Jason won the state final by tech fall his freshman year if I remember correctly?

48 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Jason won the state final by tech fall his freshman year if I remember correctly?

Jason was college ready, in high school. Learning and training with his older brother. Went to most  of the national tournaments. Alex although never beaten, seemed to hit a wall after high school. But he made sure Jason was ready. 

8 minutes ago, southend said:

Jason was college ready, in high school. Learning and training with his older brother. Went to most  of the national tournaments. Alex although never beaten, seemed to hit a wall after high school. But he made sure Jason was ready. 

Yeah. I had the pleasure of working with them a little when Alex was in 7-8 grade, before I moved out of Indiana. From what I saw coming back for recruiting through the years, Alex won less with technique than Jason, (or angel for that matter) and more on physicality and force. Seeing Jason in HS, was pretty clear he was going to make a bigger splash in NCAA than Alex. 

8 hours ago, Bozak2018 said:

Blake Maurer was a 4xer with 2 losses (one in state and one to Joe Dennis from St. Parris Graham) 

Mason Parris and Brayton Lee came close.  Both finished their careers as 3xers with one loss.  Parris lost in the semis as a freshman and B Lee got pinned at semi state as a freshman.  Neither were seriously challenged their last 3 years.

Ellis was 178-0 and pinned something like 155 of them.  He is an Indiana legend for sure, but I don't think he had many national credentials.

I remember Scott Wilson taking him down first in the finals Ellis’ senior year. The whole arena broke out in the “oooooooh”. Even wilson jumped up (was out of bounds) like what the hell did I just do. At the restart Ellis proceeded to stand up, turn, and lay drop him for the fall. People were scared of Lance. Very few would come after him and give him a match. He didn’t have anywhere near the techniques of the other four timers, But he was a hammer in state. You are correct he never accomplished anything on the national scene. 

Edited by Lurker

2 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

It's wrong. He injury defaulted to Antonio Sandoval from North High in the 3rd period. An acquaintance of mine who wrestled at North was there and remembers it vividly. If you can find it, there's an archive of who was first team All State that year and Angel is listed as having 1 loss. Not that it's a huge deal, it just shows how good you have to be to go undefeated or have enough losses to count on one hand. There's a handful of guys from AZ who can make that claim. 

20 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Lee getting pinned and not qualifying was so wild (Indiana doesn't have full wrestle backs). Bethel was a giant killer. Knocked off Joe Lee in another huge upset the next year I'm pretty sure.

Bethel was a killer at times.  he was a 4x state qualifier, but never placed.  He did pin Joe Lee in the sectional finals Joe's soph year.  Joe would go on to win his first state title that year, beating Bethel in the regional and semi state finals.

15 hours ago, Rhackler said:

Hanutke was the first to go undefeated for four years wrestling for Pittsville.  He was the second four-time state champ in Wisconsin.  The first four-timer in Wisconsin was Mike Nockels of LaCrosse Aquinas.  Nockels won his titles when the private schools were organized separately from the public schools under WISAA.   

Black was the first to go undefeated for the large-school division (Division 1, formerly Class A).  I thought Dennis Hall was going to pull that off, but he stumbled his sophomore year with a tie in the dual against Steve Hoffmann and later a loss in the state quarter finals against Hoffmann.  

Nice work, Rollie! Forgot about WISAA

Missouri has two. Scott Schatzman (1992-1995) and Jaydin Clayton, now known as Jaydin Eierman (2012-2015).

Ethan Kyle was on his way to being the second in 2002 when he suffered his first loss in the state semifinals his senior year, to Josh Moyer. (Moyer then lost in the finals to Josh Shrum, who dropped out of school and is still in jail for murder.)

On 4/12/2021 at 7:12 PM, TBar1977 said:

Not many from PA. I know Kolat and Marstellar did it, and there are others too. I have seen lists. But incredible h.s. wrestlers like Jimmy Carr, Spencer Lee, Chris Kwortnik, Joey Wildasin, Troy Letters, Jordan Oliver and Wade Schalles all had at least one loss. Nico Megaludis, Jason Nolf and Zain Retherford had at least one loss. 

Gavin Teasdale came close until Beau Bartlett beat him. 

I thought Teasdale lost to a kid from West Virginia as well?

On 4/13/2021 at 8:55 PM, Lurker said:

I remember Scott Wilson taking him down first in the finals Ellis’ senior year. The whole arena broke out in the “oooooooh”. Even wilson jumped up (was out of bounds) like what the hell did I just do. At the restart Ellis proceeded to stand up, turn, and lay drop him for the fall. People were scared of Lance. Very few would come after him and give him a match. He didn’t have anywhere near the techniques of the other four timers, But he was a hammer in state. You are correct he never accomplished anything on the national scene. 

Haven’t read through the entire thread. Has any mentioned the following from Michigan?

Nick Simmons, 211-0
Andy Simmons, 219-0
Brent Metcalf, 228-0
Justin Zeerip, 260-0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just now, Bozak2018 said:

hahaha...Me too.  I was sitting in the stands at Market Square arena watching that match as a freshman.

Yeah was there too, and then was home watching that very News broadcast later that night.  Too f-in funny.  Didn't realize that was still out there on video.  Good stuff.

29 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Haven’t read through the entire thread. Has any mentioned the following from Michigan?

Nick Simmons, 211-0
Andy Simmons, 219-0
Brent Metcalf, 228-0
Justin Zeerip, 260-0

Actually Brent lost to Schlatter at Senior Nat’s.

Has anyone mentioned Kyle Snyder yet?

In his first three years of high school, Snyder amassed a 179–0 record, won three Prep National Championships, and only conceded a single takedown. Named the national high school wrestler of the year by both Intermat and ASICS,[Snyder was also ranked as the #1 pound-for-pound high school wrestler in America by Flowrestling after his junior season. He then spent his senior year training at the United States Olympic Training Center, competing internationally for Team USA and winning America's first Junior World Championship in over 20 years while becoming the youngest two-time Junior World medalist in American history.

Edited by dmm53

Has anyone mentioned Kyle Snyder yet?
In his first three years of high school, Snyder amassed a 179–0 record, won three Prep National Championships, and only conceded a single takedown. Named the national high school wrestler of the year by both Intermat and ASICS,[Snyder was also ranked as the #1 pound-for-pound high school wrestler in America by Flowrestling after his junior season. He then spent his senior year training at the United States Olympic Training Center, competing internationally for Team USA and winning America's first Junior World Championship in over 20 years while becoming the youngest two-time Junior World medalist in American history.

OP stated after four years of HS wrestling. Although Snyder would have likely gone through his senior year undefeated, he did not compete scholastically. Then again, most also thought Spencer Lee and Gavin Teasdale were going to go undefeated as seniors.

On 4/15/2021 at 9:14 PM, lu_alum said:

OP stated after four years of HS wrestling. Although Snyder would have likely gone through his senior year undefeated, he did not compete scholastically. Then again, most also thought Spencer Lee and Gavin Teasdale were going to go undefeated as seniors.

And that rule they have about threads sticking strictly within the defined parameters of the titled topic,  is enforced quite vigorously around here...

Edited by Lurker