Sign in to follow this  
BuckyBadger

Where was Kamal Bey?

I’ve heard stories about his high school coach having trouble tracking him down s as me keeping his head on straight. 

Add in the stories I’ve heard from both the haters and lovers about his high school coach.. it doesn’t seem shocking to me that Bey would be forgetting to post his whereabouts with no one to ride herd on him

15 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I’ve heard stories about his high school coach having trouble tracking him down s as me keeping his head on straight. 

Add in the stories I’ve heard from both the haters and lovers about his high school coach.. it doesn’t seem shocking to me that Bey would be forgetting to post his whereabouts with no one to ride herd on him

he has been away from his HS coach for 7-8 years at least now?

i don't know the situation and have not personally seen or talked to him since the boogie bug shut down the resident athlete program, but...

if i had to make a pure assumption...

i would rather take a 1 year suspension than a 4 year...

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

he has been away from his HS coach for 7-8 years at least now?

i don't know the situation and have not personally seen or talked to him since the boogie bug shut down the resident athlete program, but...

if i had to make a pure assumption...

i would rather take a 1 year suspension than a 4 year...

From what I’ve heard, from people way closer to situation to me.. half the reason he’s not been doing well at senior level owes as much to him not having a coach like Powell to ride herd on him. Not at least one he respects the same way. As it does to do with technique or match prep 

But..

And I’m not denying the other possibility LOL. 

1 minute ago, jp157 said:

From what I’ve heard, from people way closer to situation to me.. half the reason he’s not been doing well at senior level owes as much to him not having a coach like Powell to ride herd on him. Not at least one he respects the same way. As it does to do with technique or match prep 

But..

And I’m not denying the other possibility LOL. 

he and tracy both got into some shenanigans while at the OTC...

they were not being baby sitted...

13 minutes ago, LJB said:

he and tracy both got into some shenanigans while at the OTC...

they were not being baby sitted...

That matches up with what I’ve heard. Some athletes need to be babysat

1 minute ago, LJB said:

or...

they need to grow up on their own to reach their goals...

**shrugs**

A better way to express my thought is.. some athletes are head cases and if you want their maximum results you’ll have to babysit them. It becomes a question of whether or not the coach feels like dealing with it. 

The growing up or not part goes without saying for me. My overall point was that Bey messing up his whereabouts and not performing up to potential don’t shock me based off what I know. He seems the type that has to have a coach like Powell

2 minutes ago, jp157 said:

A better way to express my thought is.. some athletes are head cases and if you want their maximum results you’ll have to babysit them. It becomes a question of whether or not the coach feels like dealing with it. 

The growing up or not part goes without saying for me. My overall point was that Bey messing up his whereabouts and not performing up to potential don’t shock me based off what I know. He seems the type that has to have a coach like Powell

i don't disagree at all...

but...

i'll always lean towards personal accountability being the main part of the equation...

it is a part of my "no excuses" mentality...

i feel compelled to expound...

perhaps for us to get the absolute most out of our resident athletes we 100% do need someone to baby sit them...

particularly the younger guys...

does USAW have the resources to do that?

should they?

should the coaches on contract make sure there is someone to baby sit?

should they themselves do it?

all extremely valid questions...

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

i don't disagree at all...

but...

i'll always lean towards personal accountability being the main part of the equation...

it is a part of my "no excuses" mentality...

To be clear it’s my observation not me justifying. I actually lean that way too believe it or not. Especially with my athletes. I’m just cynical and pragmatic when it comes to evaluating things. agree that he shouldn’t need to be babysat.

Also, when you run a program for Hs kids you have to do the babysitting and teaching to one degree or another. The more successful college coaches deliberately go after kids they don’t need to babysit (for the most part, Hendricks being a clear exception) and in college+ they shouldn’t need to be. 

That being said.. I do think a more.. organized and consistent approach than Lindlands would help LOL.

A decent but not great athlete, who’s a constant headache, of mine asked if he could do well in college wrestling. When I was done laughing I explained to him no college coach would put up with him the way I did unless he magically won Fargo that summer.. it got me a week of good practice out of him

To be clear it’s my observation not me justifying. I actually lean that way too believe it or not. Especially with my athletes. I’m just cynical and pragmatic when it comes to evaluating things. agree that he shouldn’t need to be babysat.

Also, when you run a program for Hs kids you have to do the babysitting and teaching to one degree or another. The more successful college coaches deliberately go after kids they don’t need to babysit (for the most part, Hendricks being a clear exception) and in college+ they shouldn’t need to be. 

That being said.. I do think a more.. organized and consistent approach than Lindlands would help LOL.

A decent but not great athlete, who’s a constant headache, of mine asked if he could do well in college wrestling. When I was done laughing I explained to him no college coach would put up with him the way I did unless he magically won Fargo that summer.. it got me a week of good practice out of him

again...

i don't disagree with any of this...

the only thing i will say is perhaps lindland is not exactly what USA greco needs right now...

i was excited when he got the job and i do not have anything bad to say about the job he has done...

but...

his personality is very much the "no excuses" mentality and i am not sure that is particularly the most successful approach in this arena for the reasons so succinctly stated above...

25 minutes ago, LJB said:

again...

i don't disagree with any of this...

the only thing i will say is perhaps lindland is not exactly what USA greco needs right now...

i was excited when he got the job and i do not have anything bad to say about the job he has done...

but...

his personality is very much the "no excuses" mentality and i am not sure that is particularly the most successful approach in this arena for the reasons so succinctly stated above...

The Greco program is in a stage where they can’t afford to have that mentality. Not if they want to win or stay relevant 

The Greco program is in a stage where they can’t afford to have that mentality. Not if they want to win or stay relevant 

i don't think that is the main cause of our poor greco results...

i don't think it is even sniffing the top 10...

1 minute ago, LJB said:

i don't think that is the main cause of our poor greco results...

i don't think it is even sniffing the top 10...

Institutional changes take time. They have a bunch of immediate crap to correct in the meantime