headshuck

Did your state GOAT come from the pool of undefeated’s?

MN hasn’t had an undefeated wrestler to my knowledge partly due to being able to wrestle varsity in 7th and 8th grade. Here are the top four in terms of win %. Gable was undefeated 9th-12th, not sure of the others off the top of my head. I know Berge had an injury default in the state semis his junior year I believe when he broke his ankle.

Gable Steveson, Apple Valley, 2018, 212-3, 98.6% 4x state champ
Mark Hall, Apple Valley, 2016, 277-4, 98.57% 6x state champ
Brady Berge, Kasson-Mantorville, 2017, 282-5, 98.25% 4x state champ
Zach Sanders, Wabasha-Kellogg, 2007, 223-5, 97.8% 5x state champ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, grappler6 said:

He lost to Marcus Levessuer at the Christmas Tournament their senior years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think either in the finals or the semis, Levesseur majored Ben Askren at that tournament, if my memory serves me correctly.

Boy New Jersey is a tough one to choose between Mocco and Hahn.  Both IMHO would have been top 5 Division 1 AA's as high school seniors.  The best HS wrestlers that I saw compete from my day (I am 42 so my HS "era" is mid to late 90's) were Hahn, Joe Williams, and David Kjeldgaard from Council Bluffs, IA.  Those 3 had a mystique and "un-beatable" reputation.  Only one of those was a 4x state champ (Williams), and none were undefeated through high school.  In the state that I now live in, Wisconsin, our GOAT HS wrestler is probably Garrett Lowney, who was kind of like Kyle Snyder version 1.0.  A tweener who was a world medalist as a college freshman and smoking guys who outweighed him by 50 lb.  He won Fargo both styles every year I think.

Edited by Konquest

15 minutes ago, Konquest said:

Boy New Jersey is a tough one to choose between Mocco and Hahn.  Both IMHO would have been top 5 Division 1 AA's as high school seniors.  The best HS wrestlers that I saw compete from my day (I am 42 so my HS "era" is mid to late 90's) were Hahn, Joe Williams, and David Kjeldgaard from Council Bluffs, IA.  Those 3 had a mystique and "un-beatable" reputation.  Only one of those was a 4x state champ (Williams), and none were undefeated through high school.  In the state that I now live in, Wisconsin, our GOAT HS wrestler is probably Garrett Lowney, who was kind of like Kyle Snyder version 1.0.  A tweener who was a world medalist as a college freshman and smoking guys who outweighed him by 50 lb.  He won Fargo both styles every year I think.

That dude to this day hit one of the prettiest back arches in one of his Greco Olympics matches, maybe it was even to earn his Bronze?

Why is minnesota so dang good at greco anyway?

20 minutes ago, Konquest said:

Garrett Lowney vs Dennis Hall probably makes for an interesting discussion so far as Wisconsin is concerned.

14 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

That dude to this day hit one of the prettiest back arches in one of his Greco Olympics matches, maybe it was even to earn his Bronze?

Why is minnesota so dang good at greco anyway?

Pretty sure he hit that throw in a preliminary round against a Multiple time world champ Russian in OT. I remember people complaining that he absolutely get screwed in regualtion by the refs and it never should have gone to OT.  Every bit as good of a story and much better wrestling than Gardner/Karelin

I also think he got tossed onto his head in the semi-finals and that was the beginning of neck injuries that shortened his college career.

41 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Here is another. Joe Melchiore brutalizing Kendall Cross. Tosses him twice and almost rips his arm off.

On 4/13/2021 at 3:43 AM, goStanford18 said:

I don't think any CA wrestler has gone 4 for 4 and undefeated in high school. CA has had four 4-timers: Jesse Vasquez, Seth Nevills, Justin Mejia, and Darrell Vasquez. Personally, I wouldn't put any of them in my top 15 from CA--even solely based on high school accomplishments. 

IMO, the CA HS GOAT has to be Aaron Pico--and I don't think it's close. He was only 42-0 and a 1x state champion, but his national/world accomplishments on the freestyle circuit probably make him the GOAT HS wrestler. IIRC, Pico was in the high school class of 2016. So before he finished high school, he was: 

- 2012 Walsh Ironman Champ 

- 2013 CA State Champ

- 2013 Cadet World Gold

- 2014 Junior World Silver (runner-up to Yazdani)

- 2015 Junior World Bronze 

- 2016 Olympic Trials Finalist (runner-up to Molinaro)

Some guys he beat in that time frame: Micah Jordan, Joey McKenna, Zain Retherford, Jayson Ness, Jordan Oliver, Reece Humphrey. 

If Pico is excluded from the discussion, then it would be really tough to pick a HS GOAT from CA. Here are some options: 

- Zahid Valencia (#1 in recruit in 2015)

- Morgan McIntosh (#1 recruit in 2011)

- Jason Welch (#1 recruit in 2008) 

- Stephen Abas 

- Eric Guerrero 

- Dave Schultz

None of them went undefeated. 

If 1 year of wrestling is eligible for this discussion, Pico is definitely #1 by far as you stated. 

If it has to be all 4 years, then I'd definitely say #1 Zahid Valencia and #2 Anthony Valencia.  Just because of all the tournaments they won while in HS.  Not just within the state, but nationally in the biggest folkstyle tournaments like Ironman, Super 32, Flonationals, CK Folkstyle nationals, etc. 

21 hours ago, Show_Me said:

Missouri

Don’t know if he is the GOAT, but ......

Scott Schatzman was a 4x MO Champ (145-0) in the “Large Class” of a 3-class system.  Missouri subsequently went to a 4 class system several years ago.

Schatzman went on to be a 3x AA at Northwestern.

Yeah, it depends on the definition. If we're talking career, then it's J'Den, and he wasn't undefeated in HS. If we're talking just HS GOAT, I'm not sure who it is, but there would be a few guys you might be able to place above Schatzman and Eierman, despite having losses on their record, especially if you look at results from Fargo and other national tournaments.

24 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Yeah, it depends on the definition. If we're talking career, then it's J'Den, and he wasn't undefeated in HS. If we're talking just HS GOAT, I'm not sure who it is, but there would be a few guys you might be able to place above Schatzman and Eierman, despite having losses on their record, especially if you look at results from Fargo and other national tournaments.

Schatzman was a Asics first team All-American & was the number one recruit overall his senior year.

If memory serves, he pinned or teched everyone he wrestled his JR and SR seasons.

This combined with a 145-0 overall record & 4x MO Champ in the Largest Class (of a 3 clsss system).  IMO, this puts Schatzman squarely in the MO High School GOAT discussion.

edit to add :

Eierman won his 4 titles in the smallest class (in a 4 class system) which is generally considered to not have near the depth as the larger classes.

Edited by Show_Me

22 hours ago, portajohn said:

Yes Folkstyle results should count for all four years.  I can't recall Pico ever placing at a prestigious wrestling tournament like Kolat did at Midlands his Sophmore and Junior years in folkstyle.  I could be wrong.  What year was Pico when he lost to Dean Heil at Super 32s?  When you look at their entire High School careers Kolat won more titles, won at Senior Level competition in Freestlye and beat collegiate wrestlers & placed in a prestigious tournament in Folkstyle

lol...I think you're forgetting that by the time Pico was in high school, high school students weren't allowed to compete in "prestigious wrestling tournaments like Midlands" since it was against NCAA rules, right?

What other "prestigious" folk tournaments could he win besides winning all of them(high school)?  The only one he lost was on a homer call for Heil in the Super 32 finals.

49 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

lol...I think you're forgetting that by the time Pico was in high school, high school students weren't allowed to compete in "prestigious wrestling tournaments like Midlands" since it was against NCAA rules, right?

What other "prestigious" folk tournaments could he win besides winning all of them(high school)?  The only one he lost was on a homer call for Heil in the Super 32 finals.

Fair enough and you're correct. But, when discussing with the other poster calling Aaron Pico the GOAT of CA high school wrestling based on what he accomplished I don't think he even comes close to matching Dave Schultz's senior year which I doubt we'll see replicated again in high school in our lifetime. 

12 hours ago, Show_Me said:

Schatzman was a Asics first team All-American & was the number one recruit overall his senior year.

If memory serves, he pinned or teched everyone he wrestled his JR and SR seasons.

This combined with a 145-0 overall record & 4x MO Champ in the Largest Class (of a 3 clsss system).  IMO, this puts Schatzman squarely in the MO High School GOAT discussion.

edit to add :

Eierman won his 4 titles in the smallest class (in a 4 class system) which is generally considered to not have near the depth as the larger classes.

Oh, yes. Schatzman is in the discussion. That's why I said there are a few guys you might put over him. It all depends on how much you value the zero in the losses column. Even without college/senior results, J'Den would be in the discussion, too. He had 3 losses, but all his freshmen year at 171 (I believe), which is a tough weight for a HS freshman to win, and in class 4. He also was a Fargo FS and Greco champ, splitting 4 matches with Kyle Snyder. Another guy would be TJ Hill. Also with 3 losses his freshman year. He teched or pinned everyone his last 3 years of HS, though he didn't wrestle above 119 and in class 3A (the middle division during the 3 class days). He also had national success, though I don't remember his results. Eierman was in the smallest class, which hurts him, but he did tech/pin his way through the state tournament every year (I believe).

On 4/13/2021 at 6:59 AM, Lurker said:

Let’s not forget Anderson Higland’s own Kelvin Jackson. First D1 champ (Michigan State) from Indiana. 

But in reality my opinion it’s Escobedo and not really close (although Mendez is making a run). He lost once (to Illinois kid) and was just a monster. Even in HS he had technique for days. Smooth. 

Indiana’s D1 champs are: Belshaw (32),  Voliva (34), McDaniel (35, 38), Ginay (38), Traicoff (39), Jackson (95), Escobedo (08), Howe (10),  Tsirtsis (14), Lee (21).

1 hour ago, Katie said:

Indiana’s D1 champs are: Belshaw (32),  Voliva (34), McDaniel (35, 38), Ginay (38), Traicoff (39), Jackson (95), Escobedo (08), Howe (10),  Tsirtsis (14), Lee (21).

I must have missed that whole 'modern era' thing all those years.

On 4/13/2021 at 1:31 PM, Icemeister said:

The fact that Wallman was a 6-time high school state champion and went undefeated for 6 straight years (from the seventh grade on), probably makes him the GOAT of SD high school wrestling, even though his post high school career didn't nearly measure up to that of many others.

If you consider post high school accomplishments, then it's probably a toss up between Lewis and McIlravy for the top spot.  Lincoln won 5 state titles and was undefeated from his freshman year on, with 129 consecutive wins.  Randy, as mentioned, went undefeated his last 3 years of high school and held the national consecutive pin record at the time.  

Lewis's consecutive pin streak was a long standing state record that was just broken last year.  That record is now owned by Nash Hutmacher with 73 consecutive pins.  In fact, if only considering high school accomplishments, I would have to put Hutmacher right up there just behind Wallman -- and perhaps even just ahead of Lincoln and Randy (and then Storley).  Hutmacher was a 4-time undefeated state champion with 166 consecutive victories -- and he did it all as a heavyweight (including as a freshman!).

One iota of info that is difficult to find on the web, is that Lewis won the Jr World Freestyle in 1977, just a few of months after he graduated from high school. The man he beat for the gold was Tomiyama from Japan, who happened to win the MEN'S World Freestyle championship in 1978, another WC in 1979, and Olympic Gold ( over Barry Davis) in 1984.. 

On 4/13/2021 at 4:00 PM, BerniePragle said:

NYS:

Troy Nickerson: 5x state champ,  5x Fargo champ, NCAA 4, 3, 2, 1
Yanni:  4x state champ (injured senior year), 2x NCAA champ (more to come?), FS success
Kyle Dake:  (Only) 2x state champ,  4x NCAA champ, and you know the rest

Tough choice

Jantzen should probably be mentioned based on HS results. First 4x state champ while placing 3rd in both 7th and 8th grade. Was dominant all through high school. Interesting that 4 of the best NY high school wrestlers all went to Ivy (3 all to Cornell). You can all make the argument that J.P. O'Connor would be next on this list (3rd 4x state champ in NY history after Jantzen and Nickerson, who won 5) and he also went to Harvard.