CoachJSS

New American Univ. Coach

Just now, goheels1812 said:

Damn. Happy for Borelli, but I guess that doesn’t bode well for saving Stanford wrestling.

Was just about to ask the same thing?  Does this mean Stanford wrestling is done?

Do any of his Stanford guys follow him to American?

1 minute ago, goheels1812 said:

Damn. Happy for Borelli, but I guess that doesn’t bode well for saving Stanford wrestling.

I’m gonna assume efforts are still being made to keep Stanford going. A meeting was held today with the president of the school that started at 2pm.  

Maybe Coach Borelli didn’t want to wait and see if it could be saved or not. With a young family, having some security is important. 

Agreed on all fronts.  The year the Stanford program just went through....especially with the way that athletic director treated them, even it is saved....could you enthusiastically go back and represent the school that did that to you?  The timing hurts, but you can't blame Borelli.  He has a lot of years left and young mouths to feed.

Borelli did mention in his hour-ling interview with the FLO guys that his and all his staff’s contracts were up at the end of April. I don’t recall the specific date, but he was on that extra clock too, everything else aside.

Great move for American. Maybe he can get them back to the success of the Mark Cody days.  They always had a few guys knocking around on saturday at NCAA’s.

48 minutes ago, CoachJSS said:

I’m gonna assume efforts are still being made to keep Stanford going. A meeting was held today with the president of the school that started at 2pm.  

Maybe Coach Borelli didn’t want to wait and see if it could be saved or not. With a young family, having some security is important. 

Completely agree about Borelli. I’m happy he found a place to give him stability, and on top of that I think he’s going to do a great job at American. 

But I don’t think this bodes well for Stanford wrestling being saved. This is just my own opinion. Stanford just lost the face of saving their program, which is their head coach that’s been very successful for them. Think about it from an admin standpoint. You already cut the sport and now you don’t have to worry about re-upping his contract. Meaning if you reinstate the sport you have to spend time and money in a HC search. That’s probably not appealing to them. I think Borelli leaving will start fraying the rope and next we will see some of the bigger names (Woods, Griffith) announce transfer destinations. Those things happening don’t seem to be steps in the right direction for the program. I hope I’m wrong, but that just seems like the reality in my head. 

Edited by goheels1812

I guess Borrelli's hiring will kill the rumors that American was getting ready to cut its program.  And American's always been open to the occasional transfer so I can see a few of Stanford's guys following him east.

I agree, this isn't good news for those hoping to save Stanford's program.

3 hours ago, CoachJSS said:

Meeting started at 2pm.... Borelli announcement drops about an hour to hour an half after the meeting. 

Edited by Idaho

27 minutes ago, NJDan said:

He won't be as successful at American as he was at Stanford-- and he was only moderately successful at Stanford.

Not sure you can say that...similar academic profile, and he’ll have the full 9.9 to play with, as opposed to 5.5 or so at Stanford, and with an extremely supportive AD (Dr. and Col. Billy Walker wrestled at Air Force, and further, was the chairperson of the NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee for several years), am thinking the sky is the limit for Jason.

6 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Not sure you can say that...similar academic profile, and he’ll have the full 9.9 to play with, as opposed to 5.5 or so at Stanford, and with an extremely supportive AD (Dr. and Col. Billy Walker wrestled at Air Force, and further, was the chairperson of the NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee for several years), am thinking the sky is the limit for Jason.

I did not know that Stanford was not fully funded or that AU was fully funded-- is that true? But even so, Stanford is WAY better in sports that AU generally. Also,  Stanford was the only name wrestling program in our nation's largest state and is much more of a draw (albeit for kids who can be admitted). Borelli had a champ this year, but how many before that? And now he will have to recruit against the many nearby east coast schools.

7 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

This is the key ingredient.  Billy Walker is a huge advocate for the wrestling program at AU, and will do everything in his power to ensure Jason has what is needed to succeed.

4 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

I think Borelli will do well at AU!  Stanford's loss is American University's gain.

Sounds like he fell into a honey hole to me. Now if he will just stay there, lm thinking he can be more successful than at Stanford. 

11 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

"Similar academic profile" is an extraordinarily liberal use of the word similar.  I know this isn't the only metric of value, but American is a good school with a 36% acceptance rate.  Stanford has the lowest acceptance rate in the nation at 4%.

That is a very gracious way to evaluate that statement.