CoachJSS

New American Univ. Coach

On 4/14/2021 at 12:17 AM, SetonHallPirate said:

Not sure you can say that...similar academic profile, and he’ll have the full 9.9 to play with, as opposed to 5.5 or so at Stanford, and with an extremely supportive AD (Dr. and Col. Billy Walker wrestled at Air Force, and further, was the chairperson of the NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee for several years), am thinking the sky is the limit for Jason.

Similar academic profile?  Not even close.  Then factor in the high cost at AU and the much smaller endowment.  If AU actually has 9.9 then they have been horribly underperforming.  

Because of their endowment, scholarships at Stanford aren't a big consideration when they can provide full scholarships to families making less than about $120.000/year if the student-athlete can meet their admission standards. Sort of like Cornell's saying that 9.9 scholarships are for suckers. 

6 hours ago, red blades said:

And then moved to Washington DC!?

There aren't many places someone can move to DC, FROM and claim they are moving to a lower cost of living area.  Palo Alto is one of them!

I did not know that Stanford was not fully funded or that AU was fully funded-- is that true? But even so, Stanford is WAY better in sports that AU generally. Also,  Stanford was the only name wrestling program in our nation's largest state and is much more of a draw (albeit for kids who can be admitted). Borelli had a champ this year, but how many before that? And now he will have to recruit against the many nearby east coast schools.

One may suggest that CS-Bakersfield has a more well-known wrestling pedigree than Stanford.

9 NCAA D-I champs (Stanford has two)

Four D-I top ten team finishes in the past 30 years (Stanford has never been top ten)

209 NCAA D-II champs

Eight D-II team titles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, lu_alum said:

One may suggest that CS-Bakersfield has a more well-known wrestling pedigree than Stanford.

9 NCAA D-I champs (Stanford has two)

Four D-I top ten team finishes in the past 30 years (Stanford has never been top ten)

209 NCAA D-II champs

Eight D-II team titles

However, recency bias is prevalent so I’d say Stanford is more well-known in the “modern” era of, say, 20 years or so. 

American has a better Athletic Profile than Stanford (or will if wrestling at Stanford is not saved).

To someone who is receiving an undergrad degree from Stanford, American is a good choice if they in someway intend to involve with the Federal Government