sbarrett5432

Will we see Dake vs Sidakov at Tokyo?

Not sure if all the team rosters are available yet but I think Sidakov looks like to be Dake's biggest match up at the olympics. But how Russia does the team is very confusing as the might decide to send someone else? Anyway, I think Dake is really well suited for Sidakov and will be a scramble fest. Sidakov is great from ties but Dake has insane defense and can toss anyone. What do you guys think?

Dake is bad news for Russians, I dare say he is better at the things russians are traditionally very good at.

Unless I’m forgetting something, if you look at history, the only two people in the world Dake has lost to were burroughs and J’den Cox. Has he actually lost a match to anyone not from the US?

3 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Dake is bad news for Russians, I dare say he is better at the things russians are traditionally very good at.

Unless I’m forgetting something, if you look at history, the only two people in the world Dake has lost to were burroughs and J’den Cox. Has he actually lost a match to anyone not from the US?

He lost at that tournament where he beat Tsargush if I remember correctly but that was obviously a long time ago and Dake had a bum hand.

13 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Gazimagomedov beat him at the Yarygin (Dake destroyed him at 2019 worlds after) and he lost at the Medved at 86kg before the 2016 Olympics but i'm not sure who beat him. 

14 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

He lost at that tournament where he beat Tsargush if I remember correctly but that was obviously a long time ago and Dake had a bum hand.

4 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Gazimagomedov beat him at the Yarygin (Dake destroyed him at 2019 worlds after) and he lost at the Medved at 86kg before the 2016 Olympics but i'm not sure who beat him. 

I do a bad job mentally of keeping track of non-trials or world/olympic events.

I hope selfishly for my entertainment he gets to wrestle both Sidakov and Chamizo in Tokyo (winning both) but have absolute no clue how either match will fare at 74KG. Mainly because it looked to me that against Burroughs he won by having two years to perfect a gameplan to beat him (in a way only he can do so) and the fact you never know if your gonna get a point scoring machine version of Dake or a stingy defensive win one exchange Dake. This is one weight i would not be willing to bet any money on with who comes out with gold. 

10 minutes ago, armchairfan123 said:

I hope selfishly for my entertainment he gets to wrestle both Sidakov and Chamizo in Tokyo (winning both) but have absolute no clue how either match will fare at 74KG. Mainly because it looked to me that against Burroughs he won by having two years to perfect a gameplan to beat him (in a way only he can do so) and the fact you never know if your gonna get a point scoring machine version of Dake or a stingy defensive win one exchange Dake. This is one weight i would not be willing to bet any money on with who comes out with gold. 

I agree on the Burroughs side, I would also offer that Burroughs matched up poorly with those two in the last 24 months. Nobody in the world at 74 is stopping 2011-2013 JB. But in recent years his speed, horsepower and mobility have gone from top 0.01% to top 1%, which at that level is a big drop.

JB has also never been a big freestyle positions guy, he spends very little time engaged with his opponents in matches that he wins.  No statistics obviously available, but I would venture that, par terre aside, JB loses most matches where he spends more than 45 seconds in anything other than neutral head posts and distanced handfighting. It worked very well for him, but he hasn’t evolved sufficiently to deal with the wheelhouse strengths of Chamizo and Sidakov consistently.  Burroughs was so good at what he did, that he just stuck with it.  The exact same type of wrestling got him through NCAA’s and the olympics.

Dake, IMO, is great at pulling points out of nowhere, and is offensive from all kinds of unique positions. He has learned and adapted, and may be the best freestyle thinker we have right now.

1 hour ago, armchairfan123 said:

I think it's a combo here where Burroughs is not as his peak and also Dake is just a better wrestler these days. He trains differently now. He's a two time world champ now compared to two years ago. His two wins vs Burroughs at the trials were extremely solid even though he was mostly defensive. But that says a lot to be that successfully defensive against Burroughs. 

1 hour ago, Drew87 said:

According to Wikipedia, he's lost 17 times.  To non-Americans, he's lost four times.

I think any match he has with Chamizo or Sidakov will be super fun to watch.

10 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Gadzimagomedov beat him pretty solidly just shortly before the 2018 Worlds where Dake returned the beating in the semifinals.  You can find both matches on you tube.

enjoy both good matches  - Dake's adjustments were impressive

According to Flo, Sidakov and Chamizo will be on opposite sides of the bracket due to seeding points, leaving Dake to be drawn in. He will have to beat both of them (or guys who beat one of them) to win the gold. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/rankings/6966544-2021-olympic-qualifiers-mens-freestyle/38241-74kg-zaurbek-sidakov

On 4/14/2021 at 10:05 AM, Drew87 said:

Copy-Paste from wiki... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Dake#Freestyle_record

Career FS record: 98-17.  Four losses to non-USA opponents are shown below (most recent in Jan-2018).  His 13 US losses (most recent was June-2017) were to:

• Jordan Burroughs, 7x
  • J'den Cox 2x
  • Trent Paulson, 1x
  • Kirk White, 1x
  • Nick Marable, 1x
  • Andrew Howe, 1x

image.thumb.png.9f93f0d5d7d7041d3437b3979c7ce92b.png

image.thumb.png.4e3c16ca213920ec19460e374bfe6c77.png

image.thumb.png.e8c2f3523f0ce075820d37d3a38593ac.png

Trivia question based on Dake's wiki page:

Other than Cox (in his 8-1 win over Dake in 2016 OTT Match 1) and Burroughs (multiple times) who is the only other American wrestler to score at least 7 points on Dake in a 6 minute FS match?

Edited by rpm002

14 minutes ago, rpm002 said:

Trivia question based on Dake's wiki page:

Other than Cox (in his 8-1 win over Dake in 2016 OTT Match 1) and Burroughs (multiple times) who is the only other American wrestler to score at least 7 points on Dake in a 6 minute FS match?

Perry at OTT's right? That was a wild match. Dake had to score late to take that one iirc.

3 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Copy-Paste from wiki... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Dake#Freestyle_record

Career FS record: 98-17.  Four losses to non-USA opponents are shown below (most recent in Jan-2018).  His 13 US losses (most recent was June-2017) were to:

• Jordan Burroughs, 7x
  • J'den Cox 2x
  • Trent Paulson, 1x
  • Kirk White, 1x
  • Nick Marable, 1x
  • Andrew Howe, 1x

When was the Marble match? Is he the only person in the world to beat both JB and Dake?

Taylor never beat Dake, right?

Edited by Jim L

7 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Perry at OTT's right? That was a wild match. Dake had to score late to take that one iirc.

Correct.  Perry was ahead for most of the match (even with a 2 he was originally awarded being reversed and given to Dake in the 1st period)  Dake pulled ahead in last minute and was able to add one more takedown in the closing seconds to seal it.

12 hours ago, Jim L said:

When was the Marble match? Is he the only person in the world to beat both JB and Dake?

Taylor never beat Dake, right?

Marable loss in 2011.  Taylor has not beaten Dake since they matriculated at their respective universities.  Below is a picture from 2006 Cadet FS nationals (Taylor 1st, Dake 3rd).  However, I'm not sure if they met in the bracket.

image.thumb.png.3845198b4806bc1c348efdeb01178119.png

taylor-dake-at-FARGO-2006-040.jpg?ssl=1

On 4/15/2021 at 4:18 PM, lu_alum said:

• Jordan Burroughs, 7x
  • J'den Cox 2x
  • Trent Paulson, 1x
  • Kirk White, 1x
  • Nick Marable, 1x
  • Andrew Howe, 1x

You left out his 2006 loss to Taylor at Cadet Nationals.  Taylor also went on to beat Dake 17 more times in fantasy matches.

taylor-dake-at-FARGO-2006-040.jpg?resize=480%2C817&ssl=1

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

You left out his 2006 loss to Taylor at Cadet Nationals.  Taylor also went on to beat Dake 17 more times in fantasy matches.

Wiki only lists Senior FS records. Did Dake and Taylor wrestle in the 2006 Cadet tourney? I couldn’t find any brackets (or summaries for the NY kids). It is possible that Taylor placed 1st without meeting Dake.