Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Parco to ASU?

2 minutes ago, gobraves101905 said:

I cant see Crooks leaving Arizona. I can see Valencia coming back if he is still going to be wrestling at the Sr level in freestyle. Two big holes at 165 and 184 if he doesn’t. 

Valencia has been at it since he was 3. He achieved All America status at the D1 level which is pretty damn hard to do. He's not going to win an NCAA title. He's more suited for freestyle but I think he just is over it all by this point. He has his master's, let him move on and live his best life. 

16 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

What about Cael Valencia - is he too raw to fill in yet at one of those weights?  

I'd be very surprised to see him go right away for a couple reasons. First and foremost California didn't have much of a season this year. I think it'd be tough to throw him right into the fire off of a year with minimal competition. Secondly, I think they'd ideally like to keep him on the same timeline as Richie Figs, which would include a redshirt. 

6 hours ago, flyingcement said:

What about Cael Valencia - is he too raw to fill in yet at one of those weights?  

Yes. You saw even with the free year, Vasquez didn’t break the lineup last season. Very tough for true freshmen to come in a wrestle right away. 

I think Anthony is coming back. I’ve heard from a reliable source it is “likely”, but that was a month ago. 

cael is not good enough yet to start. If he does, it won’t go well. He has jumped level over the past couple years, but it’s worth noting he started wrestling seriously much later than his brothers (age wise - not just bc he is younger). He has serious college potential, but he needs some more time. He still makes mistakes that even I can see, and I suck

It's interesting - to me at least - that Parco and Crooks faced each other this year at the NCAA tournament and Parco won that match but only by a 3-2 score.   In fact I believe that was Cory Crook's last match this season.

11 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I think Anthony is coming back. I’ve heard from a reliable source it is “likely”, but that was a month ago. 

cael is not good enough yet to start. If he does, it won’t go well. He has jumped level over the past couple years, but it’s worth noting he started wrestling seriously much later than his brothers (age wise - not just bc he is younger). He has serious college potential, but he needs some more time. He still makes mistakes that even I can see, and I suck

Maybe for that reason, Anthony might stick around?  To help his brother adjust to college wrestling.

I just checked WrestleStat's projected lineup for Arizona State for 2022 and they now have Kyle Parco listed as ASU's projected starter at 141 lbs (with Jesse Vasquez at 149) and Valencia at 165 lbs.   Biggest hole in this projected ASU lineup for 2022 is 184 lbs as Austin Clayton (not Cade Belshay) is listed as ASU's starter at 184 lbs.

9 hours ago, Bronco said:

I just checked WrestleStat's projected lineup for Arizona State for 2022 and they now have Kyle Parco listed as ASU's projected starter at 141 lbs (with Jesse Vasquez at 149) and Valencia at 165 lbs.   Biggest hole in this projected ASU lineup for 2022 is 184 lbs as Austin Clayton (not Cade Belshay) is listed as ASU's starter at 184 lbs.

Wonder if Valencia is waiting on a Griffith decision? I’m sure ASU would love to keep him on the West coast. Munoz probably moves to 184, if not this year, then next. 

Extremely unlikely.   As was posted here roughly one week ago the top three transfer schools for Griffith were listed as North Carolina, Michigan and Penn State.  

Secondly, as was also posted last week, there are ongoing talks about reinstating all 11 sports that Stanford had chosen to drop last summer (including wrestling).  So the status of Stanford wrestling - right now - is undetermined. 

Bottom line is the Stanford wrestling program MAY or MAY NOT be reinstated but if not the three most likely transfer schools for Griffith appear to be North Carolina, Michigan and Penn State.

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Extremely unlikely.   As was posted here roughly one week ago the top three transfer schools for Griffith were listed as North Carolina, Michigan and Penn State.  

Secondly, as was also posted last week, there are ongoing talks about reinstating all 11 sports that Stanford had chosen to drop last summer (including wrestling).  So the status of Stanford wrestling - right now - is undetermined. 

Bottom line is the Stanford wrestling program MAY or MAY NOT be reinstated but if not the three most likely transfer schools for Griffith appear to be North Carolina, Michigan and Penn State.

I think FRL said PSU was out for Griffith since he’s planning to go up to 174

Edited by 1032004

On 4/14/2021 at 9:20 PM, gobraves101905 said:

I cant see Crooks leaving Arizona. I can see Valencia coming back if he is still going to be wrestling at the Sr level in freestyle. Two big holes at 165 and 184 if he doesn’t. 

Crooks to Oregon State.

Parco's younger brother is currently wrestling at NHSCAs (freshmen).

2-0 at this point.

Another to watch is his current teammate, Gavin Fernandez, who in 2020 was a freshman North Coast Section Champion (not many freshmen have won NCS, a couple that have were Nikko Triggas and Jason Welch - Robby Smith did not and Kyle Parco was 3rd at 126 in 2016)