Sign in to follow this  
Coach126

Who is doing it RIGHT?

Sorry if there is a similar thread already but I haven't found it if there is.

This thread is about what D1 teams Coaches and their staffs are getting it done RIGHT. Maybe they have not gotten in the top 25 yet or on a consistent basis but are headed in the right direction and doing it all with class and concern for the athletes development as a student, wrestler, competitor etc. and are developing their fan base besides. Pretty much the opposite of the threads were seeing about who needs to go.

Who ya got?

Zalesky at Oregon State comes to mind.

And Branch in Wyoming, as well.

Also, Northern Colorado is "clean" now, and making some positive moves with the roster.

Coach Z. is doing a fine job, and we see him often at HS tournaments in Washington. Recently at the Regional FS/GR tournament in SW Washington..

I love what Roger Kish is doing at NDSU

also two coaches that are basically building programs from the bottum up in Joe Russell and Chris Bono.

They are creating buzz around the George Mason and SDSU programs. They are both slowly pulling in some bigger recruits and it looks like good things to come.

Mark Cody is an obvious choice....given the miracles he performed at American U without much institutional support. Regularly producing wrestling AA's and academic AA's year in and year out. And he's brought that same formula to OU....two AA's this year and the wrestling GPA is on the rise....and it sure doesn't hurt having the guys he has on his staff..all top shelf.

Agree also with Mike Rogers at F&M...a class act and former Cody assistant.

I don't agree with everything he did this year (the forfeits in particular) but Buckley is in the process of building something at Cal Poly. Very impressed with Kish as well. Not sure I agree with Weiss. Yes, that is a tough school to get into, but they have had a fair amount of guys underperform.

Yes, Weiss has had a few guys underperform, but so have Koll and Cael, widely considered among the best coaches. Weiss has also had some guys make AA and win it all, which is more than most of the guys mentioned on this thread have done -- and certainly not at Harvard. And let's not kid ourselves, Harvard is tough to get into, but if you're a blue chip wrestler with just pretty good grades, Weiss can get you in (several examples, of which the most famous was Jantzen who had something like a 3.2 GPA). And that's precisely the point. He has elevated the importance of the program among alumni and admissions to the point where not only is he consistently able to get some bona fide studs in, but those studs are actually choosing to come because the program is so much improved. How many AAs and national champions did Harvard have under Jim Peckham? When Weiss took over it was all about Penn and Cornell among the Ivies and now, Harvard is very much in the picture. I'm not saying he doesn't have it tougher than other Ivies (he does) and I'm not saying he deserves coach of the year (he's far from that at this point). But if I would've told you when he took over that he would produce several AAs and national champs, you would've rightfully laughed in my face. The original poster asked who is doing a good job of getting closer to perennial top 25 status, and Harvard against all odds is making solid progress.

If I was going to answer other than Iowa, Penn St., Oklahoma St., or Minnesota I'd say Cornell, Virginia Tech, Missouri, and Central Michigan. I'm excited to see what can be done with Oklahoma, Wyoming, and North Carolina St. Teams I feel are doing it wrong are Michigan, Rutgers, Michigan St., and Indiana. These are just my opinions.

I like what UTC is doing. I think they will continue to develop and become increasingly more competitive.

Also like the direction of North Dakota St. and Northern Iowa.

Agreed on all 3. I heard Chatanooga is expanding the field for the Scuffle. Anxious to hear who those teams are

Wire,

What gives you the impression that No. Colorado is headed in the right direction? Cherrington has run that program into the ground..

He inherited a mess. In fact, they were sanctioned this year because of "left over bad Grades" and drop out's who were not his recruits. Subsequently he has had to clean house and "sit out" the NCAAs, this past season. Not sure how you consider that " running the program into the ground.

Also, as with Branch, he's roaming North by Northwest in search of recruits, which I think is a very good thing.

The four that really stick out to me in no particular order:

1. Rob Koll

- Cornell wasnt built over night and although it took Koll years, they have become a super power and are built for longevity. Koll's consistent ability to produce wrestlers AND coaches, thus attracting top assistant coaching candidates leading to better wrestlers cycle along with his recruiting savvy and business acumen, there are not much better out there.

2. Kevin Dresser

- Really doing a great job and the results show. Although they havent seemed to perform up to the their extremely high level of expectations at the NCAA tourament, they really turned it on. Dresser was handed a program with the cupboards bare and turned them into a force to be reckoned with.

3. Steve Garland

- Really impressive group of young men he has down there. They lose a bunch of upper classmen that have been around for a long time it seems. Heard a bunch of good stories at the bar from one of their alumni, seems like a team that really prioritizes academics as well as producing on the man. They will have a lot to lean on the next few years to come. Both DiCamillo and Sulzer are big time studs and I am really anxious to see how Jon Fausey pans out his senior year, I expect big things.

4. Jason Peters

- Although not the headcoach, lets all be serious. Stottlemyer hasnt been relevant in 7-8 years. He let Peters take over, start running the show, and Pitt has vastly improved the last couple years top a really prominent program with big time recruits coming in this year. They should be a dominant player in the ACC, even a step up from Maryland in my eyes who has been a great program the last few years under Coach McCoy.

Wire,

What gives you the impression that No. Colorado is headed in the right direction? Cherrington has run that program into the ground..

Run in the ground? Seriously? How elevated was the program before Ben took it over? The post season ban was a result of previous recruits. I can honestly say that the group of kids they have and the current work ethic is far better than it has been in many years. Give them a little time and they will be fine. My only critism is that they sometimes compromise on their recruiting. The Northwest is good, but spread out to the East and SouthWest a little more. JMO