7 minutes ago, IronChef said:

I don't believe him. He did not lose 44 pounds in less than 3 months. 

Wouldn't surprise me. I remember talking to him for a few minutes in front of the Lehigh gym several years ago. I think while he was still in school. He was upper 160s then cutting down to 133. Don't forget how much ink he's put on  lately!

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

I don't believe him. He did not lose 44 pounds in less than 3 months. 

I believe him. He has done it before. Reeve Humphrey mentioned in an interview a few years ago that JO was the biggest 140s wrestler he’s ever seen in the off-season. Was mid 180s at the OTC maybe four or so years ago. 

15 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Not arguing that he gets big. I'm saying he did not lose 44 lbs. in 11 weeks. He did not lose 23% of his body weight in less than 3 months.

The time I mentioned would have been much less than that time-wise

8 minutes ago, maligned said:

Amazing episode if you're into the nitty gritty of the techniques and tactics in these high level matches. He's super intellectual and detailed. Really fun listen.

Link?

JO barely knows me but knew I was a big fan of his. In 2015, I was diagnosed with the “Big C”; apparently the same flavor that took out his grandfather years ago. When he learned of my situation, he texted me just about every day checking on my status until I was out of the woods......A guy old enough to be his father who he hardly knew..

People who question his character don’t know him.

And yeah, when it comes to a technical master of the sport, you won’t find many sharper.

Sucks what happened in Canada and he isn’t already locked into Tokyo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anyone who said he did not lose 44 pounds in 11 weeks ... you are correct.

JO said he was 174 eleven weeks before the trials. He said he was in the 180s over the summer.

He also said he marked his plan on his calendar. 156-158 eight weeks out. 153-155 seven weeks out. 149 three and a half weeks out. 145-147 for the last two weeks.

For anyone who said he did not lose 44 pounds in 11 weeks ... you are correct.
JO said he was 174 eleven weeks before the trials. He said he was in the 180s over the summer.
He also said he marked his plan on his calendar. 156-158 eight weeks out. 153-155 seven weeks out. 149 three and a half weeks out. 145-147 for the last two weeks.

And then double digits between days one and two of the OTT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do he do during the off-season to gain so much weight? I would think world class athletes are still doing at least one moderately hard workouts per day. How much do you have to eat to put on that much weight do quickly?

I can't help think about fellow Easton native Jack Cuvo, who I recently saw I picture. I had not seen him since he was wrestling, and it was a shock to my system. Cuvo does not get enough credit, at his peak he is among the best NCAA lightweights ever. I did see that Cuvo has claimed addiction and mental health problems, so I hope  hometown is the only thing they share.

7 hours ago, Jim L said:

What do he do during the off-season to gain so much weight? I would think world class athletes are still doing at least one moderately hard workouts per day. How much do you have to eat to put on that much weight do quickly?

I can't help think about fellow Easton native Jack Cuvo, who I recently saw I picture. I had not seen him since he was wrestling, and it was a shock to my system. Cuvo does not get enough credit, at his peak he is among the best NCAA lightweights ever. I did see that Cuvo has claimed addiction and mental health problems, so I hope  hometown is the only thing they share.

He mentioned chicken parm, chocolate chip cookies and anything else his mom and aunt would make for him. Sounds like I need to get an invite to dinner at the Olivers.

Good interview. I always enjoy listening to him speak on wrestling and break things down.

Spent some time with him in the Springs one summer while he was there training. I can confirm that listening to the way he talked about wrestling and described positions from matches he had been in sounded like he was on a whole other level in terms of wrestling IQ. I think it's kind of rare the way JO talks about the technique and thinking in his matches. Listening to him talk about matches against the Cubans or Kurbanaliev was a very interesting. Seems he has so many split second thoughts while in the middle of the matches.

Also, while out there he had some matches with Marable in the room and seemed to be about the same size even though Marable was a weight up and had his own struggles with weight ("bumping his head").

For the rest of the podcast, I found it interesting they said Imar is coming back for 79kg at the Open. I didn't agree with them that Joseph shouldn't have gotten a passivity there in the 2nd against Marsteller though.