VakAttack

Tom Brands interview/article touching on Spencer, Marinelli, and a lot more

8 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Consistently one of the best interviews in the sport. Thanks for sharing Vak.

The Murin thing really stuck out. Incredibly impressive that he was able to do what he did. He looked completely out of gas against Abas, especially in OT. Was close to finishing multiple times and then close to getting out in rideouts, but didn't have the juice. First time in his career I ever saw him tired, but I just chalked it up to being in 4 straight grind matches.

Seems like Spencer is planning on giving it a go on no ACLs. Makes me nervous. 

31 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I think his attitude might be that he’s probably gonna retear them anyway so why bother

i don’t Agree but I wouldn’t be surprised at him thinking that way

That's what I was thinking. Especially since he ended up retearing the surgically repaired one against Mueller anyways so it's not a stretch to imagine that he thinks it's not worth the bother, atleast maybe not until after next year? Idk. Im a big fan so I'll cheer him on no matter what he chooses to do, but, yeah, makes me nervous.

3 hours ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

That's what I was thinking. Especially since he ended up retearing the surgically repaired one against Mueller anyways so it's not a stretch to imagine that he thinks it's not worth the bother, atleast maybe not until after next year? Idk. Im a big fan so I'll cheer him on no matter what he chooses to do, but, yeah, makes me nervous.

I know nothing about ACLs, but why not repair them both and take next year off? If he has world-level ambitions, he could probably use two functional ACLs.

7 minutes ago, Katie said:

I know nothing about ACLs, but why not repair them both and take next year off? If he has world-level ambitions, he could probably use two functional ACLs.

I agree but Lee may be thinking about Iowa’s chances for a team title next year rather than getting back to full health as quickly as possible.

Tbh I have no idea what a recovery for dual ACL tears looks like. Given the rehab to fix one it is probably a crazy long lay off.

4 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Consistently one of the best interviews in the sport. Thanks for sharing Vak.

The Murin thing really stuck out. Incredibly impressive that he was able to do what he did. He looked completely out of gas against Abas, especially in OT. Was close to finishing multiple times and then close to getting out in rideouts, but didn't have the juice. First time in his career I ever saw him tired, but I just chalked it up to being in 4 straight grind matches.

Seems like Spencer is planning on giving it a go on no ACLs. Makes me nervous. 

Agree he's always compelling to listen to.  

Tough break for Murin.  Tough sport.

The injury thing is interesting. Makes sense not to talk about Murin publicly while he's wrestling, don't want opponents to know. Makes sense that McDonough would never say a peep about his shoulder, he's so tough he couldn't have it believed he was making an excuse.

Both those guys wrestled and lost. But not saying what was wrong with Marinelli before now strikes me as misplaced.  He stopped wrestling. There was a real team race going.  He had no obvious injury (like Lewis's incredible match before he MFF'd, for instance).

Brands that night made a ludicrously opaque statement that could easily have been interpreted (and I think was by some) as meaning that he just didn't want to wrestle (something about him being a good person with good priorities).  Why not just say, Marinelli hurt his rib at the end of his match and can't go, he'll heal and pursue his dream next year. 

59 minutes ago, Katie said:

This is 2nd hand knowledge so do with it what you will: it is pretty much unheard of to do a double acl repair so he would have to have them staggered by some amount, likely increasing rehab time beyond the 12 month mark. Lee has said in a number of interviews that winning 4 individual and 2 team titles was really important to him. I'm guessing that is weighing in on his decision to, apparently, not sit out next year. I respect it, though am kinda nervous this might leave a long term negative impact

5 hours ago, Katie said:

That’s not how recovery from ACL surgery works. Once you’ve done your PT, you don’t decrease the chances of reinjury by waiting longer. After a full rehab period where you strengthen the legs enough, more rest doesn’t mean more protection, and the chance of reinjury is always higher than before the tear. If he gets surgery now, he should be back by the second half of next season. Not 100% as far as sharpness and conditioning, but is he really going to be much worse than after a season of no ACL training?

I, for one, am glad Tom told some of the back story.  It supports what Spencer said in an interview at the event when he said you don't know what's going on behind the scenes, what we're dealing with...  so true.  What Murin did was impressive.  

I like Brands’ style. Always eye on the prize. And in a world where everything in college is better — better dorms, better dining halls, new and better buildings — it makes sense that wrestling programs are going to compete on the quality of their facilities. I have no doubt they’ll raise the funds. 

2 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

I like Brands’ style. Always eye on the prize. And in a galaxy/universe where everything in college is better — better dorms, better dining halls, new and better buildings, faster spacecraft  — it makes sense that wrestling programs are going to compete on the quality of their facilities. I have no doubt they’ll raise the funds. 

ftfy & btw did he say how the rocketship is coming along and anything about the DeSanto issue?

As to the Marinelli injury, I don't know why Brands or Marinelli himself did not say that soon after the tournament. I would not necessarily say it right after the match as that would look like an excuse. But why not the next day?