jeffrideal

Karchla article

Great young man, humble and respectful, and a great family--fantastic memories watching him grow up and develop.  His father kept him on a Soviet style trajectory and did not have him competing until 8th grade and then, as the article points out, only in big meets.  Very much opposite of many US kids, who enter the monster medal/trophy meets every weekend and have wrestled a thousand bouts by the time they enter high school.  Also, his first two years of high school folkstyle were not easy on him; injuries kept him from even qualifying for the state meet until he won his titles in his final two years.  Hoping for a full recovery and safe return to competition this fall, and nothing but best wishes to this young man over the coming years.

JBraxManCarson.jpg

MCJ.jpg

2 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Great young man, humble and respectful, and a great family--fantastic memories watching him grow up and develop.  His father kept him on a Soviet style trajectory and did not have him competing until 8th grade and then, as the article points out, only in big meets.  Very much opposite of many US kids, who enter the monster medal/trophy meets every weekend and have wrestled a thousand bouts by the time they enter high school.  Also, his first two years of high school folkstyle were not easy on him; injuries kept him from even qualifying for the state meet until he won his titles in his final two years.  Hoping for a full recovery and safe return to competition this fall, and nothing but best wishes to this young man over the coming years.

JBraxManCarson.jpg

MCJ.jpg

I really wish more had this attitude to development. Or at least minimized the emphasis on kids competitions. 

15 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I really wish more had this attitude to development. Or at least minimized the emphasis on kids competitions. 

How does one go about keeping a kid entertained with a sport without some sort of competition or reward? I would think it would take an extremely mature and driven kid (or a controlling parent) to keep a kid in training mode for years on end with the idea it is better for their long term success. 

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

He looks a little chilly in the last pic coach!

Good read, is his high school coach Mark Marinelli related to Alex? 

The cold builds character Siberian style!  The Marinellis and DiSabitos are big wrestling families in Ohio--you see that last name and they're from the Columbus area, you know they're related, but I don't think Mark and Alex are related.  Mark Marinelli was a tough dude, placed 4th twice for Ohio State back in the day.

4 hours ago, Coach_J said:

The cold builds character Siberian style!  The Marinellis and DiSabitos are big wrestling families in Ohio--you see that last name and they're from the Columbus area, you know they're related, but I don't think Mark and Alex are related.  Mark Marinelli was a tough dude, placed 4th twice for Ohio State back in the day.

I don't believe they are.  Mark is a great coach was a great wrestler(wrestled him once. Cue: 'Glory Days'), his little Bro was a 2x HS champ. DiSabatos are Central Ohio wrestling royalty.  Vince was my HS coach after Rowlands. Great wrestlers.

10 hours ago, Coach_J said:

One of the DeSabitos is a guy pushing that Jim Jordan knew about the abuse/harassment of his wrestlers at OSU, right? 

5 hours ago, Mphillips said:

I don't believe they are.  Mark is a great coach was a great wrestler(wrestled him once. Cue: 'Glory Days'), his little Bro was a 2x HS champ. DiSabatos are Central Ohio wrestling royalty.  Vince was my HS coach after Rowlands. Great wrestlers.

How'd you do? You whip his ass? 

22 hours ago, backpack said:

How does one go about keeping a kid entertained with a sport without some sort of competition or reward? I would think it would take an extremely mature and driven kid (or a controlling parent) to keep a kid in training mode for years on end with the idea it is for their long term success. 

Must respectfully disagree with much of what you've said.  Keep a kid "entertained"?  Really?  That's the parent's role?  As for the conjecture that "a controlling parent" might be behind Carson's development, a really off-base supposition and an insult to a great man and coach in Miron Kharchilava--that idea, without any proof, should not have even been brought up.  If you are taken through the development process Carson (and literally thousands upon thousands of kids in Russia and the former republics) experienced, you learn that the "rewards" are not medals and trophies but growth in self-confidence, technical proficiency, and the camaraderie and friendships built in the training room.  Carson had plenty of competition in the training room as a young boy and he was very "entertained"--he just didn't need the trinkets.  And in the picture below, you have Carson (Ohio State), Manzona Bryant (Lehigh), and Braxton Amos (Wisconsin), three of the most humble, accomplished, well-adjusted young men you could meet.  For my money, much to be said for delaying gratification, allowing a kid to pick up things over an extended period of time without the pressures of competing, etc.  I'd say Miron's tutelage did well by them and hundreds of others who have trained in his system.  Incidentally, Mark Churella adopted the same approach with his sons, allowing them as kids to pick one big meet to go to (they typically chose the Ohio State Fair meet because it was fun) and spending the rest of their time in wrestling learning and practicing.  His boys did pretty well.

JBraxManCarson.jpg

Edited by Coach_J
revision

5 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Must respectfully disagree with much of what you've said.  Keep a kid "entertained"?  Really?  That's the parent's role?  As for the conjecture that "a controlling parent" might be behind Carson's development, a really off-base supposition and an insult to a great man and coach in Miron Kharchilava--that idea, without any proof, should not have even been brought up.  If you are taken through the development process Carson (and literally thousands upon thousands of kids in Russia and the former republics) experienced, you learn that the "rewards" are not medals and trophies but growth in self-confidence, technical proficiency, and the camaraderie and friendships built in the training room.  Carson had plenty of competition in the training room as a young boy and he was very "entertained"--he just didn't need the trinkets.  And in the picture below, you have Carson (Ohio State), Manzona Bryant (Lehigh), and Braxton Amos (Wisconsin), three of the most humble, accomplished, well-adjusted young men you could meet.  For my money, much to be said for delaying gratification, allowing a kid to pick up things over an extended period of time without the pressures of competing, etc.  I'd say Miron's tutelage did well by them and hundreds of others who have trained in his system.  Incidentally, Mark Churella adopted the same approach with his sons, allowing them as kids to pick one big meet to go to (they typically chose the Ohio State Fair meet because it was fun) and spending the rest of their time in wrestling learning and practicing.  His boys did pretty well.

JBraxManCarson.jpg

Hi Coach J - I absolutely was not insinuating that Carson, or anybody in particular, are the product of a controlling parent. If anything I was giving kudos to them for sticking with the developmental approach.

What I was getting at, was simply asking how to keep a typical child engaged without the reward system we built up in the US, which you answer with "you learn that the "rewards" are not medals and trophies but growth in self-confidence, technical proficiency, and the camaraderie and friendships built in the training room." I was moreso interested in the approach and theory behind that type of training for development. 

Jordan supported a traitor, Jordan helped that traitor with the Big Lie, and Jordan helped a traitor try to steal an election. Jordan is a traitor, no doubt about it. 
You're so far gone it's hilarious.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Jordan supported a traitor, Jordan helped that traitor with the Big Lie, and Jordan helped a traitor try to steal an election. Jordan is a traitor, no doubt about it. 

Hard to argue with facts this solid.

My only question is how did Jordan get played into being that guy's attack dog? And, more importantly, when will Jordan knock it off and start working for his constituents' interests as he was elected to do. Backing a fat, old, has-been like Trump is last year's news. Jordan is going to need a new schtick - let's hope he picks something honorable this time.

On 4/19/2021 at 3:46 AM, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Hard to argue with facts this solid.

My only question is how did Jordan get played into being that guy's attack dog? And, more importantly, when will Jordan knock it off and start working for his constituents' interests as he was elected to do. Backing a fat, old, has-been like Trump is last year's news. Jordan is going to need a new schtick - let's hope he picks something honorable this time.

Jordan in an incompetent. He's one of the leaders of the (no kidding) "Buffoon Caucus" of the GOP. His whole job, as far as he and other morons of the "Buffoon Caucus" are concerned, is to keep stirring the pot of the culture wars with red herring social issues. Actually doing any work? Nope, he doesn't do any. I remember one of the earliest sessions of the Trump/Russia collusion discussions in the House (CSpan) and the camera was on Jordan. When comment was made that Trump's financial records and ties to Moscow were being investigated I swear Jordan's eyes bulged. He's crooked, no doubt about it, and I think that very moment he realized financial records could be used and he got SCARED. 

As for Jordan picking something honorable next time....Hahahaha, good one!! Jordan has no honor whatsoever.