BigTenFanboy

NCAA All Heel Team

11 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

133- Chris Fleeger Is anything more heel than laying on the mat for a sketchy slam call taking an auto DQ?

Word. He has always been in my top 5 favorite wrestlers, but . . . I've heard stories. Folks I know and trust hate the dude. That match confirmed everything I had heard. 

What about Alan Waters doing the Hawkeye flap?

What about Bo Nikal helping guys up?

What about (and this one is gonna be out of left field, probably universally rejected, and possibly libelous) Kendall Cross taking the time to console his opponent by rubbing their head and then getting up and playing to the crowd? Some guys took it well (Adam Batirov); some were having none of it (Terry Brands).

Edited by jackwebster

16 hours ago, boconnell said:

Rosholt at 197.  When he dribbled Phil Davis' head off the mat in the finals it made him the villain of that tournament.  Plus the way he seemed to disregard the regular season.

Was that before or after Davis threw the punch?

23 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Over the years theres always been guys that have stood out as being the "good guy" known as the face and the "bad guy" known as the heel.

Post your All Time Heel Team of guys that have stirred up some controversy be it big or small.. or was an exceptional trash talker 

Heres my first crack at it...

125 Thomas Gilman

133 Austin Desanto

141 Dean Heil

149 Brent Metcalf

157 ??

165 Johnny Hendrix

174 Ben Askren

184 Pat Downey

197 ??

285 Gable Steveson

How was Askren a heel in college? 

Don't really see the case for Metcalf either.  He was feared for good reasons, not a villain.

Was that before or after Davis threw the punch?

Davis’ punch was retaliatory. He got poked in the eye right before that, looked at the ref expecting Rosholt to get a warning, didn’t get one, so he went club to the headgear. That drew a warning.

14 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I don't know about Hendricks. He didn't really have heel like antics on the mat, other than close matches.  When he lost to Perry he just shook his hand and walked off the mat, no drama. 

After beating Churella he draped himself in an OSU flag and took a victory lap of the arena during the 157 medal presentation.  Then he fired off OSU pistols for the crowd.  The entire arena was max volume cheering or booing.  One of the greatest live sports moments I've been present for.

I feel like with the passage of time Hendricks got a little too much hate.  It's not his fault the match was reffed the way it was, if celebrated like he did with a TD in OT in a non-controversial reffed match 80% of the hate would have went away.  He was a little firey but nothing really all that bad, especially compared to the "modern era" actions of some wrestlers.

Like others said, handled that loss to Perry with class, so I extend an apology to Johny Hendricks on behalf TheMat Forums. 

Edited by Gantry

2 hours ago, boconnell said:

After beating Churella he draped himself in an OSU flag and took a victory lap of the arena during the 157 medal presentation.  Then he fired off OSU pistols for the crowd.  The entire arena was max volume cheering or booing.  One of the greatest live sports moments I've been present for.

So he was the first guy in history to actually celebrate winning an NCAA wrestling title?  ;_;

The Brands would definitely have to be the coachs of the all time heel team.

Terry Brands yelling “You don’t like hard wrestling” at Aaron Brooks during a match in which his son bit and scratched him really iced that one for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ionel said:

So he was the first guy in history to actually celebrate winning an NCAA wrestling title?  ;_;

Like I said, I loved it.  

But OSU was the dominant team winning their 3rd(?) straight team title, he was one of 5 individual champs (so they won the title and the night), and he was the easiest guy to hate on that fantastic team.  So when he celebrated you either loved it or hated it, depending on whether you were wearing Cowboy orange or not.  

2 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

... that's the Oklahoma State version. 

Your version is he got poked in the eye.  Unless you think Rosholt went 3 stooges and poked him on purpose, I'm not sure where you come up different versions.  Both guys got physical and the losing guy didn't like it and threw a punch.  There is no debate which guy was wrong even if you think there was an eye poke in there.  

Either way Rosholt was a very physical wrestler who always won in March, and combined with the color of his singlet made him a heel in his day.

20 hours ago, Le duke said:

Terry Brands yelling “You don’t like hard wrestling” at Aaron Brooks during a match in which his son bit and scratched him really iced that one for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad this didn't happen lol.

It was Ragusin v. Lee.

37 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Your version is he got poked in the eye.  Unless you think Rosholt went 3 stooges and poked him on purpose, I'm not sure where you come up different versions.  Both guys got physical and the losing guy didn't like it and threw a punch.  There is no debate which guy was wrong even if you think there was an eye poke in there.  

Either way Rosholt was a very physical wrestler who always won in March, and combined with the color of his singlet made him a heel in his day.

Different version? I just re-watched the video. Neither was a saint in that bout,  Rosholt jammed him in the eye after both got testy on the edge. Davis looked at the ref, expecting a warning right after the ref said watch the hands in the face. Whether it be intentional or not. Davis looked at the ref, got nothing, and uncorked a club to the headgear in retaliation, which was whistled dead immediately. 

That's what happened. 

As far as the point about him being a heel - the school and his physicality did make him a heel - but every Rosholt, including the soccer playing sister, were pretty physical in their sports. 

2 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Different version? I just re-watched the video. Neither was a saint in that bout,  Rosholt jammed him in the eye after both got testy on the edge. Davis looked at the ref, expecting a warning right after the ref said watch the hands in the face. Whether it be intentional or not. Davis looked at the ref, got nothing, and uncorked a club to the headgear in retaliation, which was whistled dead immediately. 

That's what happened. 

As far as the point about him being a heel - the school and his physicality did make him a heel - but every Rosholt, including the soccer playing sister, were pretty physical in their sports. 

That's my point.  There are no different versions.  There is no Oklahoma State version like you said.  Rosholt was physical.  Davis didn't like it and threw a punch.  If Davis was winning or close in the match he never considers the punch.  He didn't like getting beat and getting beat up.  Most guys don't.  

45 minutes ago, boconnell said:

That's my point.  There are no different versions.  There is no Oklahoma State version like you said.  Rosholt was physical.  Davis didn't like it and threw a punch.  If Davis was winning or close in the match he never considers the punch.  He didn't like getting beat and getting beat up.  Most guys don't.  

Well, it's clear you aren't going to admit Rosholt did anything illegal or anything that might have warranted retaliation, so I'll just go ahead and let you keep misremembering the match. I can only say "you're wrong" so many times before getting bored. Good day. 

5 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Well, it's clear you aren't going to admit Rosholt did anything illegal or anything that might have warranted retaliation, so I'll just go ahead and let you keep misremembering the match. I can only say "you're wrong" so many times before getting bored. Good day. 

You're being super weird about this one.

I suggested Rosholt as a heel and said the reason was how physical a style he wrestled.  My initial description before you got involved even included me saying Rosholt dribbled his head off that mat.  From that you took the idea that I will never admit he did anything that warrants retaliation.  I also posted that I agreed with you and there are no different versions of events.  Rosholt was physical and since Davis was losing anyways, he tried to punch him for it.  You took that and said you can only tell me I'm wrong so many times.   

I have no idea what your problem is here, but it clearly has nothing to do with me.

Edited by boconnell