Bronco

Nick Suriano - Any update?

Late last month a poster here indicated that Nick Suriano - if he does compete collegiately next season - will be at Arizona State.   Since he's not going to be involved in the Olympic Trials has there been any update on whether or not he will, IN FACT, be a member of the 2022 Arizona State wrestling team?   And if so at which weight class?  As I understood it he was trying to qualify for the Olympic trials at 57 kgs (125 lbs) and of course ASU has 2021 NCAA runner-up Brandon Courtney at 125 lbs as a Senior next season.  

And at 133 lbs ASU has Michael McGee who placed 6th at 133 lbs at the 2021 NCAA championships.  McGee will also be a Senior next season.  If Suriano is added to the mix does that mean McGee moves up to 141 lbs?  He just moved up from 125 lbs a year ago up to 133 lbs this past season.  Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on how this might all shake out if Suriano is IN FACT going to be on the ASU team for next season.

Edited by Bronco

If Suriano joins the mix at ASU, their lower weights are loaded. Courtney and McGee already there. Parco coming in. Figs coming in. Great room to be in for those guys. I think you would see Courtney at 125. Suriano at 133 and McGee and Parco at 141. 

30 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

He has to be a graduate transfer,  correct? 

Yea , I think Goodale did an interview early in the  season saying Nick had 1 semester left to graduate and hadn’t decided was he was going to do, so I would imagine if he decides to wrestle one more year it would have to be as a graduate transfer 

11 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

If Suriano joins the mix at ASU, their lower weights are loaded. Courtney and McGee already there. Parco coming in. Figs coming in. Great room to be in for those guys. I think you would see Courtney at 125. Suriano at 133 and McGee and Parco at 141. 

Parco is going 149. McGee could win the spot at 141. Not sure how big he is

10 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Doesn't ASU seem like the team that always get's mentioned to have a top 5 but never lives up to expectations?  Just seems like it to me.  Same almost could be said about Michigan.

Clearly YOU are someone who never lets things like FACTS get in the way of your ignorance.   Thanks for making that very clear here.

https://thesundevils.com/news/2021/3/20/wrestling-notches-podium-finish-at-2021-ncaa-tournament.aspx

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

That was what I was thinking as well.  He was an AA at 149 lbs this last season.  I don't see him going back down to 141 lbs again.

125 - Courtney

133 - Suriano or McGee (depends on IF Suriano does in fact join ASU)

141 - McGee IF Suriano is at 133 lbs or Chlebove or another transfer

149 - Parco & Vasquez

157 - Teemer

165 - Valencia

174 - Munoz

184 - ????

197 - Norfleet

285  - Schultz

5 hours ago, Bronco said:

Clearly YOU are someone who never lets things like FACTS get in the way of your ignorance.   Thanks for making that very clear here.

https://thesundevils.com/news/2021/3/20/wrestling-notches-podium-finish-at-2021-ncaa-tournament.aspx

You're about the third worst person here to be calling people out on ignorance or BS.  Minnow is wrong less than you.  That's. Really. Fckn. Bad.

7 hours ago, Housebuye said:

McGee is a 133. I would hate to see him pushed up/out. He found a new home and immediately delivered for ASU. I understand "what have done for me lately," but but but . . . 

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

McGee is a 133. I would hate to see him pushed up/out. He found a new home and immediately delivered for ASU. I understand "what have done for me lately," but but but . . . 

If Suriano wants the 133 spot, McGee is going to need to go up. Otherwise I don’t expect him to move

6 hours ago, Bronco said:

Easy there internet tough guy...I was not trying to criticize at all...I like ASU...one of my favorite colleges.  Congrat's on their 4th place finish THIS year.  How did they place the previous 6 years (don't let the FACTS get in the way of your ignorance)?

It just seems they always underperform...usually they have reason's...injuries, transfers, etc.  Just seems that every year there are huge expectations for for whatever reason they fall short of those.  Maybe it is just me that thinks that...oh well.  Wasn't meant as a slight, so you can gently remove your undies out from where ever they got stuck.

7 hours ago, dman115 said:

Doesn't ASU seem like the team that always get's mentioned to have a top 5 but never lives up to expectations?  Just seems like it to me.  Same almost could be said about Michigan.

The University of Michigan.....2018-4th,  2019-5th, 2020-Covid with a very good team, 2021-5th.  Just sayin'.

19 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

The University of Michigan.....2018-4th,  2019-5th, 2020-Covid with a very good team, 2021-5th.  Just sayin'.

People remember things not quite living up to expectations under McFarland, but Bormet has done a good job creating sustainability.   That RTC has really become an invaluable resource.  If they do in fact land Griffith and/or Dean they are going to stay at or near the top, with a bunch of momentum moving forward.

If only MSU had 1/2 the resources and support............

26 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

Yeah...was just more of a feeling than anything.  They to always seem to have things come up that get in the way of placing even higher.  Again, not meant to be a criticism...must be coming off that way.

1 hour ago, dman115 said:

Easy there internet tough guy...I was not trying to criticize at all...I like ASU...one of my favorite colleges.  Congrat's on their 4th place finish THIS year.  How did they place the previous 6 years (don't let the FACTS get in the way of your ignorance)?

It just seems they always underperform...usually they have reason's...injuries, transfers, etc.  Just seems that every year there are huge expectations for for whatever reason they fall short of those.  Maybe it is just me that thinks that...oh well.  Wasn't meant as a slight, so you can gently remove your undies out from where ever they got stuck.

4th Place: Cornell   ASU