Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

How can an actively competing, elite athlete like Askren be so out of shape?

It's not like he is a heavyweight either.  Guy is 190 pounds but has the body of someone who never played a sport in his life.  He was one of the best college wrestlers, and a fricking Olympic athlete.  And he's only 36 and still actively competing...

How is it possible he has a physique like this?

Ben Askren at the weigh-ins for his fight against Jake Paul

14 minutes ago, jchapman said:

He just had a hip replacement.

I know a 63 yr old who is not a professional athlete and who just had double knee replacement and never got close to looking as fat and out of shape as Ben did, so I don’t  think the hip replacement has anything to do with it...he’s just lazy nowadays and pretty much a grifter

16 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

It's not like he is a heavyweight either.  Guy is 190 pounds but has the body of someone who never played a sport in his life.  He was one of the best college wrestlers, and a fricking Olympic athlete.  And he's only 36 and still actively competing...

How is it possible he has a physique like this?

Ben Askren at the weigh-ins for his fight against Jake Paul

Looks like he's packing at least 20 pounds of lard. And check out those (teehee) "guns". 

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Looks like he's packing at least 20 pounds of lard. And check out those (teehee) "guns". 

Well the fight was 20 pounds heavier than he usually fought at, so that’s probably about right.  People are making way too much out of what he looked like though, he’s never looked very good and even if he was out of shape (which I doubt) he didn’t lose because of that, he lost because he’s not a good boxer.

...and pay your debts Jimmy

My daughter watched the "fight" with her husband and told me that Askren "didn't look like an athlete. He even had fat on his back." Her husband ignored the lack of physical prep and stated simply that it was "fixed."

Edited by DanGerMan

I'd love to see a list of all the wrestlers Askren beat who would curb-stomp Jake Paul, despite being in their mid-30s and not boxers. We could start with probably everyone in the NCAA bracket from 2006 and 2007. Hard to believe Askren is the same guy who beat the likes of Herbert and Kish back in his day.

9 hours ago, jbai3_12 said:

Here's Ben Askren before the Robbie Lawler fight in peak shape, for reference. Not super surprising he looks like this now after a hip surgery and training only 11 weeks.129_Ben_Askren.jpg

That "proprioception" Askren is always talking about must be working overtime with this dude. 

13 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I'm beginning to wonder if you guys have ever wrestled.  Didn't you learn that wrestling isn't a bodybuilding competition?  Did John Smith have an intimidating physique?  What about Lewboo, who was missing a pec?

and yet 95% of top wrestlers DO HAVE intimidating physiques (other than heavyweights).

He was in better shape sure, but Askren never had an intimidating physique, even in his college years.  I remember at the time wondering how he could consistently be so good.  I felt like people would figure out his funk, and/or overpower him.  After Pendleton, it just didn't happen.  Point being, I was not surprised to see what he looked like for this fight, was anyone else really?

3 hours ago, Schuteandscore said:

He was in better shape sure, but Askren never had an intimidating physique, even in his college years.  I remember at the time wondering how he could consistently be so good.  I felt like people would figure out his funk, and/or overpower him.  After Pendleton, it just didn't happen.  Point being, I was not surprised to see what he looked like for this fight, was anyone else really?

There's a difference between not having an intimidating physique and looking like a fat ass who has never trained.

19 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

which would you call the photo of him before the Lawler fight?

Good question. I just can't figure out how Askren ate bomb after bomb in that fight but could not survive a single punch from Paul . . . with boxing gloves on. 

Maybe he just got old ... suffered one too many shots to the head. In his first fight (in some pro/am event in Missouri?), he used his face as a catcher's mitt until he walked the guy down and grabbed 'em (like Rosholt's first fight. I wouldn't be surprised if I have them confused). After the fight, he looked like Sloth from the Goonies. 

Nothing new here, I know. 

Edited by jackwebster