Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

How can an actively competing, elite athlete like Askren be so out of shape?

1 minute ago, jackwebster said:

Good question. I just can't figure out how Askren ate bomb after bomb in that fight but could not survive a single punch from Paul . . . with boxing gloves on. 

Maybe he just got old ... suffered one too many shots to the head. In his first fight (in some pro/am event in Missouri?), he used his face as a catcher's mitt until he walked the guy down and grabbed 'em (like Rosholt's first fight. I wouldn't be surprised if I have them confused). After the fight, he looked like Sloth from the Goonies. 

Nothing new here, I know. 

I've been told by guys who follow the fight game that it is easier to get knocked out with a boxing glove (as compared to MMA glove) because it is heavier.

I was wondering if Askren’s current shape was perhaps one of the reasons they selected him for the fight. It appears that they are trying to build a brand around Paul.
I was surprised at the outcome, with his experience I didn’t think he’d need much of a training camp.

7 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Good question. I just can't figure out how Askren ate bomb after bomb in that fight but could not survive a single punch from Paul . . . with boxing gloves on. 

Well it can be argued he did “survive” it since he got right back up...

Edited by 1032004

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Well it can be argued he did “survive” it since he got right back up...

You're right. Maybe the problem was that when the ref asked if he was lucid enough to continue, Askren started offering crypto-investment advice. The ref, like everone else, immediately concluded that he was out of it.

People fail to realize getting knocked out is not necessarily about how hard you were hit; it's more about where and how you were hit.  A well placed punch to the jaw that causes your neck to take a sharp twist may do the trick, even if it's not the most powerful punch.  

21 minutes ago, RED said:

People fail to realize getting knocked out is not necessarily about how hard you were hit; it's more about where and how you were hit.  A well placed punch to the jaw that causes your neck to take a sharp twist may do the trick, even if it's not the most powerful punch.  

The hypoglossal, glassopharyngeal (sp?), and the vagus nerves come together right under the ear. If your jaw hits them, you go down. At least, this is what I've heard . . . could be bs?

In any event, it seems like Lawler piss-pounded those nerves and a half dozen more and Askren still managed to get up. 

Ben Askren took a paycheck to get beat up, which I would argue is exactly what he did in the UFC, definitely what he did at beat the streets with jordan burroughs, and absolutely what he did with jake paul.

Also, he at this point is neither competing nor an athlete of elite calibur, and outside of the relatively narrow window of non-submission grappling/wrestling, many would argue never really was.  

Conditioning is everything in Combat  Sports, If you come in looking like you trained by sitting on the coach eating Ding Dongs (Heavyweights can be the exception to the rule), you wont do well,  your past credentials are meaningless, you will be in trouble even against people with far less credentials.