Sign in to follow this  
davenowa

New HS WT Class Options

18 hours ago, davenowa said:

I was looking at maintaining the 12 wts for post-season, allowing teams to enter a 2nd wrestler at any 2 of the 12 classes, in keeping with concept of 14 entries (as opposed to increasing to 14 wt classes for post-season)

I like the option of having up to two entries in a weight for the individual state series. This will help retention of athletes when they are stuck behind good wrestlers and cannot cut or gain the necessary weight to go to another weight class. There are a handful of states that allow this and more need to do so. 

What are the thoughts of middle school wrestlers in high school? There are some high school associations that allow this. This sport may be the most common for this to occur. Perhaps the only one. I have my opinion about this but am interested with knowing others.

On 9/30/2021 at 4:56 PM, Nicholas Strub said:

What are the thoughts of middle school wrestlers in high school? There are some high school associations that allow this. This sport may be the most common for this to occur. Perhaps the only one. I have my opinion about this but am interested with knowing others.

I am opposed, since HS sports are about HS communities and HS students.

NY allows 7th and 8th graders to wrestle for their high schools so long as they athletically/medically qualify.  Same rule applies for other sports, as well. 

NY can do this because it has local, not county-wide, school districts.  I believe Onondaga County, where I grew up, has at least 28 school districts.  You know what elementary. middle and high school you are going to when you move wherever you move.  To Plasmodium's question, these 7th and 8th graders are wrestling for their community schools.

When I was living/coaching in TN,  that state did have county-wide school districts but allowed 7th and 8th graders to wrestle varsity if the middle and high schools were in the same building.

FL has a same building rule of which many private schools take advantage.  When I was living/coaching there, you saw many 7th and 8th graders wins states at 1A and transfer "back" to Brandon for high school

I noticed that 6th graders are allowed to compete in Florida, or that was a typo in the results. I could've been a 7 year high school wrestler starting at 103.

If lower weight classes can't be filled by high school wrestlers then the issue is with the weight classes.