jackwebster

Jumping ship / Turncoats

I am on the verge of abandoning my team. My first wrestling memories are of a Bedlam Dual in the old Gallagher Hall. My first wrestling heroes were Bobby Stites and Jeff McCallister (I grew up in Bixby). My childhood friends (Shane Roller, Troy Williams, and Ryan Stites) wrestled there. Kids I wrestled against (Jimmy Arias and Hardell Moore ) wrestled there. My dad went there in tbe late 50's and his friendship with Don Favor was the reason I started wrestling on the first place. I followed the international results for John Smith, Kenny Monday, Kendall Cross, et al in AWN. After my family relocated to the east coast, I travelled back to go to their camps. After college, I followed OSU rather than my alma mater. As a coach I took my kids to their camps, etc etc etc. But . . . 

I can't do it anymore. Anybody else turn against their team?

Edited by jackwebster

38 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

I am on the verge of abandoning my team. My first wrestling memories are of a Bedlam Dual in the old Gallagher Hall. My first wrestling heroes were Bobby Stites and Jeff McCallister (I grew up in Bixby). My childhood friends (Shane Roller, Troy Williams, and Ryan Stites) wrestled there. Kids I wrestled against (Jimmy Arias and Hardell Moore ) wrestled there. My dad went there in tbe late 50's and his friendship with Don Favor was the reason I started wrestling on the first place. I followed the international results for John Smith, Kenny Monday, Kendall Cross, et al in AWN. After my family relocated to the east coast, I travelled back to go to their camps. After college, I followed OSU rather than my alma mater. As a coach I took my kids to their camps, etc etc etc. But . . . 

I am curious - is there a particular reason or set of reasons you are turning against OSU?  For myself I am a strong supporter of my old team (Lehigh) but I also enjoy following many other college teams and root for them also but Lehigh is still #1 in my heart.

19 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I am curious - is there a particular reason or set of reasons you are turning against OSU?  For myself I am a strong supporter of my old team (Lehigh) but I also enjoy following many other college teams and root for them also but Lehigh is still #1 in my heart.

My reasons are inchoate, but the embarrassment I feel when the coaching staff throws fits kinda sums my feelings about the team.

Re replacement: I gotta few teams that I started to follow in earnest this year, all from the ACC: UVA (where I wrestled), NCSt (I like that the team has an easily identifiable "style" ... "character" might be a better term), and UNC. 

Edited by jackwebster

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

so ... which one are you "jumping ship" on, or is this your second jump?

6 minutes ago, ionel said:

so ... which one are you "jumping ship" on, or is this your second jump?

Ohh... i don't think I jumped ship on UVA. I was always an OSU fan ... I just wasn't good enough to wrestle there.

Became a wrestling orphan on April 2, 2020. School turned its back on me over the next month and continues to shun any and all inquiries.

That school in Norfolk is no longer part of my life in any way. Degree is off the wall and somewhere in storage, everything that bears its name is gone and thrown away or donated (except the wrestling stuff).

The school turned on us, so I jumped ship from EVERYTHING else associated with it.

4 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Became a wrestling orphan on April 2, 2020. School turned its back on me over the next month and continues to shun any and all inquiries.

That school in Norfolk is no longer part of my life in any way. Degree is off the wall and somewhere in storage, everything that bears its name is gone and thrown away or donated (except the wrestling stuff).

The school turned on us, so I jumped ship from EVERYTHING else associated with it.

Integrity.  I may not have liked your last movie, but I most certainly like you!

33 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

John Smith, Esposito, Chris Perry . . . Their behavior trickles down to their wrestlers. 

I'll have to watch closer....You mean other coaches don't do that too, as in the Brands and more????

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

A man of conviction. I like it. 

2 hours ago, jackwebster said:

I think what you’re referring to is rather natural in wrestling especially.  You see and learn so much more about individual wrestlers and coaches in wrestling than you do in most sports.  

As a young buck just starting out, I was a huge iowa fan, and felt like someone ran over my dog whenever iowa guys would lose.  At that time Minnesota was on their heater, and I didn’t like them, except damian hahn because I’m a jersey boy.  Cael sanderson was the only guy I rooted for from iowa state, and i was always real conflicted about gable technically being a turncoat, but going from the bad side to the good side.

Now, I can’t think of a coach I respect more than J Rob, because he’s one of the few people associated with the sport who has perspective.  What we value over time evolves, and you are absolutely right to take a hard look at the type of individuals a program turns out WHILE trying to win.

Coaches who absolutely put character development equal with wrestling are increasingly rare, which is why the three I respect most as coaches are the brands and tom ryan.  They have been through hell and back personally, and are better for it.  That film TERRY that FLO did way back deserves an OSCAR. Like them or not, Tom and Terry probably saved Austin Desanto from himself and a few future bar fights.  

I like Cael and PSU guys because they are challenging the paradigm of what success looks like, what it takes to be successful and how you get there.  But he has clearly developed something special and is keeping it to himself, which kinda sucks.

OSU coaching staff has bounced a ton of guys for all manner of reasons, every wrestler out of there leaves with a bit if a 1,000 yard stare, and john smith is always having his guys do insane things to further his own aims.  Yeah, you’ll be a good wrestler at OSU, but you’ll see 3 weight classes at least, you’ll pull a ton of weight, have injuries that require surgery, and will be required to wrestle a long time on those injuries before you get surgery.

Thanks coach, I’m good.

13 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Why can't you just watch and enjoy wrestling without the team aspect?

Greco anyone?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I am rarely tempted to say this but...lol, greco and enjoying wrestling in the same thought.