jackwebster

Jumping ship / Turncoats

6 hours ago, jackwebster said:

I am on the verge of abandoning my team. My first wrestling memories are of a Bedlam Dual in the old Gallagher Hall. My first wrestling heroes were Bobby Stites and Jeff McCallister (I grew up in Bixby). My childhood friends (Shane Roller, Troy Williams, and Ryan Stites) wrestled there. Kids I wrestled against (Jimmy Arias and Hardell Moore ) wrestled there. My dad went there in tbe late 50's and his friendship with Don Favor was the reason I started wrestling on the first place. I followed the international results for John Smith, Kenny Monday, Kendall Cross, et al in AWN. After my family relocated to the east coast, I travelled back to go to their camps. After college, I followed OSU rather than my alma mater. As a coach I took my kids to their camps, etc etc etc. But . . . 

I can't do it anymore. Anybody else turn against their team?

Why wouldn’t you support UVA? You wrestled there-wouldn’t you support them even over OSU?

5 hours ago, jackwebster said:

My bad. It's just the way I talk.

With a name like Webster, there’s no need to apologize for this. 

3 hours ago, LJB said:

so, you don't watch greco, huh?

No, I actually watch a lot of greco, it was my favorite of the international styles for many years, I do however have a poor feel for the pulse of the international greco scene because the major US media outlets do not cover it at all, and I am sorry to say that most US greco competition that doesnt include Jesse Porter vs Kamal Bey is really dull.

Fargo Greco is a blast because you can get skill and strength gaps even in the finals that lead to some hips over head tosses, and those are fun.

On the whole, however, I would say 15 years ago the freestyle and greco products  were on par.  In the 2011-2012 era greco was at times even the more enjoyable.  But freestyle has outpaced greco for ten years now.  New rules don’t help, and having pushouts, alternating cautions and eliminating ties in greco has removed a lot of the spectator enjoyment for me. I really hate the fact that referees can just choose who they want to win in a conservative match by holding out a hand and blowing the whistle.  I hate it for both styles, but I hate it for greco more because there are no low-stakes footsteps in greco.

7 hours ago, Drew87 said:

I am rarely tempted to say this but...lol, greco and enjoying wrestling in the same thought.

I never wrestled Greco. It wasn't even on the radar in northeastern Oklahoma when I was growing up, so I don't understand the rules (except no leg attacks?) and scoring. But the coolest throw I ever saw was a 1 armed throw I saw from a Greco match. I was astonished, to tell the truth, and I was a helluva thrower back in the day.  If you could teach a Greco guy how to attack legs and ride he'd be a monster. 

Edited by TobusRex

11 hours ago, jackwebster said:

I am on the verge of abandoning my team. My first wrestling memories are of a Bedlam Dual in the old Gallagher Hall. My first wrestling heroes were Bobby Stites and Jeff McCallister (I grew up in Bixby). My childhood friends (Shane Roller, Troy Williams, and Ryan Stites) wrestled there. Kids I wrestled against (Jimmy Arias and Hardell Moore ) wrestled there. My dad went there in tbe late 50's and his friendship with Don Favor was the reason I started wrestling on the first place. I followed the international results for John Smith, Kenny Monday, Kendall Cross, et al in AWN. After my family relocated to the east coast, I travelled back to go to their camps. After college, I followed OSU rather than my alma mater. As a coach I took my kids to their camps, etc etc etc. But . . . 

I can't do it anymore. Anybody else turn against their team?

Wow, had no idea you were an Okie. My condolences (LOL). Bixby had some stud wrestlers when I was in HS, but they had a really good football team. Man they kicked the **** out of us in football. 

Regarding giving up on OSU, no need for that. Just root for the wrestlers you like! During NCAAs, best time of the year, I root for whatever kids I like best (although I'd love to see OSU or OU actually win an NCAA team title). I like kids that are aggressive, especially if they are maulers from the top position (I love good mat wrestling).  Also I've become fans of kids from interviews. Sometimes you don't know how cool a guy is until you hear him speak his mind, or how dumb (DeSanto). 

11 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Why wouldn’t you support UVA? You wrestled there-wouldn’t you support them even over OSU?

With a name like Webster, there’s no need to apologize for this. 

Re UVA: I tried, but I couldn't figure out what Garland wanted his kids to look like, what the 'hoo-specific tactics, strategies, attitude, etc. were. After talking to him, I got the impression that Gitomer was the type of guy he wanted. I could get on board with that: slow matches down with superb hand-fighting and brutal rides. But Garland never put out a team of Gitomers; there always seemed to be a "red warrior" or two in the bunch. 

I really liked having Gavin and Leen on staff. I thought the program took a hit  when they left. (Edit: now that I think about it Moore was great, too.)

I was a Mueller fan. Hard not to be, I guess; but, I liked him because 1.) he beat up my kid at Super 32 . . . and I got to sit opposite of Kendall Cross, and 2.) I understood what he was trying to do. Henrich-tough on top. 

This comparison between Mueller and Henrich is forced. They both threw legs, but that's where similarities end. For the most part, Mueller rode a "loose," "clingy," "saggy" cross-body. Henrich had a punishing Sheets-style figure four (One JH told me that he stopped wrestling him bc his body couldn't take it). Long story endless, part of my fandom is figuring out what a team's style is and seeing them execute it or modify it according to their strengths/limitations.

Edited by jackwebster

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Wow, had no idea you were an Okie. My condolences (LOL). Bixby had some stud wrestlers when I was in HS, but they had a really good football team. Man they kicked the **** out of us in football. 

Regarding giving up on OSU, no need for that. Just root for the wrestlers you like! During NCAAs, best time of the year, I root for whatever kids I like best (although I'd love to see OSU or OU actually win an NCAA team title). I like kids that are aggressive, especially if they are maulers from the top position (I love good mat wrestling).  Also I've become fans of kids from interviews. Sometimes you don't know how cool a guy is until you hear him speak his mind, or how dumb (DeSanto). 

Re Bixby: They won in 1986, I think. Mike Bodily (sp? he wrestled at Clemson) won an individual title over Keith Nix (RIP) . . . again, I think I have this right.

Then in 1992, Bixby was runner-up (Carl Albert won IIRC) with a bunch of future DI guys on the team: Josh Stubbs, Mike Roller, (both were a year ahead of me), CJ Daniels, and Jimmy Roller (both 2 years ahead of me). 

Just be like me...follow the individuals without having a favorite team.  I like guys from all teams.  Spencer Lee is probably my favorite to watch right now.  I like Gable and parris for their crazy athleticism and domination at heavyweight.  I like Nick Lee and his non stop motor, I like watching Suriano and Fix (but not against each other), RBY, DeSanto, Brayton Lee, Aaron Brooks, The Bull, etc.  Growing up in Indiana, we didn't have much to choose from or watch as far as college wrestling goes, so I tended to follow individuals that I read about in AWN.

Don't be exclusionary.  It is perfectly acceptable to be a fan of multiple teams and wrestlers from all over.  MSU has done so much to sour my taste, I get the need to branch out.  However, that doesn't mean you have to drop OSU altogether.  Just take from them what you can and let what bothers you melt away.  I try to also focus on local kids(especially ones I know), even if the end up at UofM!

20 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Became a wrestling orphan on April 2, 2020. School turned its back on me over the next month and continues to shun any and all inquiries.

That school in Norfolk is no longer part of my life in any way. Degree is off the wall and somewhere in storage, everything that bears its name is gone and thrown away or donated (except the wrestling stuff).

The school turned on us, so I jumped ship from EVERYTHING else associated with it.

Banned words and acronyms in the Bryant Household:

• Monarchs
  • ODU
  • Pinfall
Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

1 hour ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Banned words and acronyms in the Braynt Household:

• Monarchs
  • ODU
  • Pinfall

1. I’m sorry

2. I’m sorry

3. Lol and definitely gtfo with that nonsense.  How do you feel about the word “fall” vs “pin”, “stuck”, and of course the venerable “touche” in freestyle/greco in your household?

Edited by Drew87