Sign in to follow this  
Wrestle81

Summer games

I was at the LA Games in '84... saw the entire FS tournament. Even though the majority of the Soviet Bloc wrestling nations elected to boycott, it was a blast to watch the US in action.

Everyone medaled, except Joe Gonzalez @ 52Kg.(he was wrestling injured, if I recalled. Certainly not 100%... shame that it happened at the time of the Olympics.)

D3

14 hours ago, Wrestle81 said:

Curious...how many posters have been lucky enough to actually see an Olympic tournament live.... I was at every session in 76' in Montreal...what a thrill.

I made it to the Greco portion of the Atlanta Games in 1996.  I will never forget watching Karelin in action.

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

None to date, but very much looking forward to LA 2028 - especially if the high speed train from Vegas to SoCal is completed by then.

Perfect timing.  My kids will be 19 and 16.  Hope to make it a family event.

I wish LA had it in 2024... would fit 17, 14, and 10 kid ages very well... might inspire...  A trip for five to Paris is for the rich and a trip for one will be frowned on.

I was at LA in '84. To tell the truth, it was not great. A lot of empty seats, even though it was sold out. This was likely due to people buying all-session tickets and then only attending a few. Not a ton of energy.  Track and field was exciting.

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

I was at LA in '84. To tell the truth, it was not great. A lot of empty seats, even though it was sold out. This was likely due to people buying all-session tickets and then only attending a few. Not a ton of energy.  Track and field was exciting.

Were you there when Mark Schultz broke the Turk's arm?  On video, it seems like there was energy in the arena.  Would love to hear a first hand account.

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

Were you there when Mark Schultz broke the Turk's arm?  On video, it seems like there was energy in the arena.  Would love to hear a first hand account.

I definitely remembered that match. I'm recalling that the Turkish wrestler was one of the "threats' to Mark running the table. Lo & Behold, guess who he's matched up with in the same pool in the first round. Action took place and then stopped w/ the Turkish wrestler holding his arm while being attended to. Next thing we knew, apparently, was Mark walking off  the mat and an announcement, declaring Mark was DQ'ed for using an illegal hold and the Turk w/ a broken arm, obviously will be med. forfeit out of the Olympics.

Mark went on to win his pool easily... and you know the rest of the story after that!

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

3 hours ago, jchapman said:

If I was, I don't recall it.

On 4/22/2021 at 1:24 PM, tigerfan said:

Saw all sessions in Barcelona, ‘92. Met up with most of them team at an establishment afterwards. John Smith was absent, best as I can recall, which isn’t great tbh. 

I didn't attend Barcelona (though I sure wish I was there, naturally. ;-)  ) Thanks to signing up to the Olympic Triplecast, plus taking some vacation time during the FS event, I was able to watch, pretty much the entire GR & FS tournament. Some of the greco was entertaining, watching those sessions that I taped.. But I taped pretty much most of the FS events while I actively watched the sessions. I really thought Tim Vanni was going to medal @ 105.5 until he lost to the So. Korean, then the Romanian. Zeke Jones ran roughshod over his pool, until he ran into a brick wall from No. Korea @ 114.5. Loved it that Chris Campbell finally got his Olympic medal (albeit bronze) after he lost to Khadartsev (1st rnd?... not sure. I no longer have the tapes :-(  ) But the best match that I so remember vividly, was Bruce Baumgartner revenge match over David Gobedshivilli (since losing to him @ Seoul finals in '88)  It was 0-0, going into the last 15 or so second in the match. they were whistled OOB. As they both approached the center of the circle for a re-start, Bruce noticed DG's body language as he was resigned to the match going into OT. Bruce shot off his mark at the sound of the whistle and double legged Gobi to his back for a 3 point exposure. W/ virtually little time for any equalizer from DG... Bruce wiped out a potential barrier to what eventually be his second Olympic gold medal.

You can't make this up... pure excitement!

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

9 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Did you see Jads? 

Ha..I was a snot-nosed teenager that didnt realize much of what i was watching other than the US. It was a prelims session at 100kg, so I had to have seen him. I definitely felt all the cowbell commotion near me every time anybody in red, white, and green stepped onto the mat.