jross

Navigating the Uncomfortable

"...a tale...full of sound and fury, / Signifying nothing."

US greco is at times its worst enemy.  Petty.  Full of drama but rare meaningful results.  Crying about its insignificance like women's basketball and thus highlighting its many shortcomings.

Until either Rau or Stef is a medal contender, the drama over who reps us in Tokyo means little to anyone outside their friends and family.  Greco, you want to be taken with the seriousness that Russia and the Euros take the game, then start acting like it.

Without reading the article and going off only the title of the thread as well as picking and choosing from the comments, here is my 10 words or less:

"Colonoscopy Art: A do it yourself guide for beginners."

In regards to this article-Timmy gets longwinded when it comes to sharing his feelings

In regards to the overall topic on a US Wrestling Forum-Greco is only mentioned when there is something to criticize. 

Lastly, it's funny to me that this thread was started by someone who easily eclipsed the 3500 word mark in their attempts to rationalize why Cox shouldn't have had to make weight. 

3 hours ago, Oily Bohunk said:

Lastly, it's funny to me that this thread was started by someone who easily eclipsed the 3500 word mark in their attempts to rationalize why 2 x World Champion, Cox, shouldn't have had to make weight. should have been allowed to wrestle.   

FIFY inline. 

This post intent was meant to generate discussion around the ref behavior and match outcome for Joe Rau vs Stefanowicz match one.  It appeared Rau would throw Stefanowicz twice in a legal head pinch to end the match with an early tech.  The author raised the new-to-me question about whether the ref could be biased to Stefanowicz.  Instead of giving Rau an early win, the match continued.  Rau reacted to the way the match was refed and I don't remember him going back to the head pinch in the first or second match.  We do not know how match two would have played out had match one been refed differently.

The ref impact on the matches reminded me of the NFL KC Chiefs vs TB Buc super bowl.  The one-sided and egregious calls against KC in the first half changed the entire game.  TB drives were allowed to continue and became points.  KC transitioned to two-hand touch defense.  TB points caused KC go to a pass-only offense... still a challenge but much easier to defend strategically.

Group thread comments are critical of the article.  That was non-intentional.  Skipping to the "By now..." paragraph, I found the Timothy Hand's content enjoyable and rewarding.  He IS an editor.  To read more from him... I searched to find his background, searched for books he might have written, etc... found a different T.H. author... went ahead and praised this T.H. on twitter!  Fewer words could have expressed his message... but his word creativity showed English mastery IMO!  The 10-words or less challenge was not a dig at the author, rather it was a challenge to get us to read the article, to understand it, and to express the main talking points.  Given nobody talks about Greco... how else do you influence one to read 3500+ words on the subject?

Raising attention to opportunities for USA Wrestling to address for these Olympic Trials... seems consistent... it is a serious matter that I hope we can inject some humor while discussing.

22 minutes ago, jross said:

FIFY inline. 

This post intent was meant to generate discussion around the ref behavior and match outcome for Joe Rau vs Stefanowicz match one.  It appeared Rau would throw Stefanowicz twice in a legal head pinch to end the match with an early tech.  The author raised the new-to-me question about whether the ref could be biased to Stefanowicz.  Instead of giving Rau an early win, the match continued.  Rau reacted to the way the match was refed and I don't remember him going back to the head pinch in the first or second match.  We do not know how match two would have played out had match one been refed differently.

The ref impact on the matches reminded me of the NFL KC Chiefs vs TB Buc super bowl.  The one-sided and egregious calls against KC in the first half changed the entire game.  TB drives were allowed to continue and became points.  KC transitioned to two-hand touch defense.  TB points caused KC go to a pass-only offense... still a challenge but much easier to defend strategically.

Group thread comments are critical of the article.  That was non-intentional.  Skipping to the "By now..." paragraph, I found the Timothy Hand's content enjoyable and rewarding.  He IS an editor.  To read more from him... I searched to find his background, searched for books he might have written, etc... found a different T.H. author... went ahead and praised this T.H. on twitter!  Fewer words could have expressed his message... but his word creativity showed English mastery IMO!  The 10-words or less challenge was not a dig at the author, rather it was a challenge to get us to read the article, to understand it, and to express the main talking points.  Given nobody talks about Greco... how else do you influence one to read 3500+ words on the subject?

Raising attention to opportunities for USA Wrestling to address for these Olympic Trials... seems consistent... it is a serious matter that I hope we can inject some humor while discussing.

I didn’t read this, but insert lollercopter and trollercoaster right here.  You just got plaaaaaaaaayed.

Dude, I have no problem reading a really well written article of tens of thousands of words, but this neither a particularly compelling topic nor in any way a example of "English mastery". Choking someone out, even with an otherwise legal hold, is clearly prohibited by the rules, so why burn 4gs word count of virtual ink trying to kinda question by kinda not question the refs bias and say how these are really cool bros, like that has anything to do with it? 

I have been a lifetime Greco guy, but the Greco rules right now suck, the Greco product right now sucks, and the Greco culture, leadership, team, etc. aren't fairing much better. The hard truths which people ITT have brought up are smarter and better written than this article, unfortunately. TH seems like a good dude, and I love 5PM, but there doesn't seem like much to discuss here, unless you think I am being completely unfair.

Was Stefanowicz close to choking out?  You can't find match one anywhere on youtube, NBC, etc... ha ha... wonder why.  Note that Team USA has match two on youtube.  

• First 4 pts awarded... second 4pts called off because why?  Match should have been over by tech!  https://streamable.com/48ddpv
  • Rau immediately goes back to it... this one IMO he should have stopped at the whistle... but... can you hear the boos when they award pts to Stefanowicz?  https://streamable.com/4z1k2l

Now Stefanowicz did nothing wrong... fantastic story... and USA Wrestling should run this back.  

2 hours ago, jross said:

Was Stefanowicz close to choking out?  You can't find match one anywhere on youtube, NBC, etc... ha ha... wonder why.  Note that Team USA has match two on youtube.  

• First 4 pts awarded... second 4pts called off because why?  Match should have been over by tech!  https://streamable.com/48ddpv
  • Rau immediately goes back to it... this one IMO he should have stopped at the whistle... but... can you hear the boos when they award pts to Stefanowicz?  https://streamable.com/4z1k2l

Now Stefanowicz did nothing wrong... fantastic story... and USA Wrestling should run this 

8 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Dude, I have no problem reading a really well written article of tens of thousands of words, but this neither a particularly compelling topic nor in any way a example of "English mastery". Choking someone out, even with an otherwise legal hold, is clearly prohibited by the rules, so why burn 4gs word count of virtual ink trying to kinda question by kinda not question the refs bias and say how these are really cool bros, like that has anything to do with it? 

I have been a lifetime Greco guy, but the Greco rules right now suck, the Greco product right now sucks, and the Greco culture, leadership, team, etc. aren't fairing much better. The hard truths which people ITT have brought up are smarter and better written this article, unfortunately. TH seems like a good dude, and I love 5PM, but there doesn't seem like much to discuss here, unless you think I am being completely unfair.

I'd agree that much of what he's written, in general,  is creative and more concise.   In this instance, it seemed that he felt he needed to share all of the details to show his respect for both wrestlers while trying to get to the point.