Sign in to follow this  
OR

JUCO wrestlers to NCAA?

Great JC tourney and congrats to Clackamas!

What wrestlers from the JUCO ranks will be moving to an NCAA team next year and where?

125 Champ Spangler (Pratt) - Lock Haven

125 Runner-up Enriquez (Clackamas) - Oregon State

Who else?

Most end up going NAIA. Very few actually go D1. All the placers I am currently tracking are:

149 Champ: Silva - Arizona Christian (Wonder if this sticks since their HC just left to Southeastern)
141 6th: Gonzales - Grand View
157 3rd: Herrera - St. Cloud State

Not this year but...

Dylan Reel National Champ in 18' is resurfacing at Ottawa

16 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

Most end up going NAIA. Very few actually go D1. All the placers I am currently tracking are:

149 Champ: Silva - Arizona Christian (Wonder if this sticks since their HC just left to Southeastern)
141 6th: Gonzales - Grand View
157 3rd: Herrera - St. Cloud State

Not this year but...

Dylan Reel National Champ in 18' is resurfacing at Ottawa

Doesn't NAIA stand for No Academic Investigation Allowed? 

On 4/25/2021 at 11:21 PM, TexRef said:

Doesn't NAIA stand for No Academic Investigation Allowed? 

That's a bad assumption, given they are only allowed to wrestle exempts (academic guys)   in addition to top guys.  If you are 2nd string for instance...you may never get in a dual if you have crappy academics.   Unless that has changed,  you can only wrestle x amount of guys throughout the year in a "varsity role"  unless they have a certain GPA.    I've seen more bomb out of NCAA schools than NAIA.   Most the NAIA programs I have been around graduate their guys in 4 years,  so the stigma is a bit dated.   Every division has solid academic teams,  and some full of dipsticks.  

On 4/27/2021 at 5:12 PM, TobusRex said:

The guy who kept me from starting for the Cowboys in 1983 at 190 pounds was a JUCO transfer named Karl Lynes. He was a good dude, became an All American! Last I heard he was coaching at Pawnee HS (Oklahoma). He spanked me in our ranking match, 11-5 or 11-6. 

Pawnee!  My Teammate Josh Leadingfox was from there. I will have to see if Coach Lynes is still there. 

On 4/28/2021 at 8:53 AM, moose said:

National Association of Ineligible Athletes 

Only at 133/141 sometimes.  Most guys I coached became Pharmacists, Pre-Med, or Teachers and got a degree in 4 years.  No redshirting...get them in, graduated and into the real world. 

1 hour ago, Swayz said:

Pawnee!  My Teammate Josh Leadingfox was from there. I will have to see if Coach Lynes is still there. 

I just looked up Pawnee wrestling and saw your buddy mentioned. Let me know if Lynes is still coaching there, I bet he's probably moved on to a bigger school. 

On 4/28/2021 at 6:53 AM, moose said:

National Association of Ineligible Athletes 

I knew a guy who was a great high school football player and had more than a dozen D1 offers. He ended up leaving the D1 school for an NAIA school about midway through his first semester. The reason publicly was he didn't feel he fit into the offense. The real reason was he could barely read. He was going to redshirt anyway, but he was taking remedial classes and was basically flunking those because he couldn't read. He wasn't dyslexic or anything, he was always such a good athlete that he was just passed through school. He never bothered to learn. He did end up playing in the NFL for a few years. He somehow graduated from college and is the proud owner of a degree in communications (probably). 

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

I knew a guy who was a great high school football player and had more than a dozen D1 offers. He ended up leaving the D1 school for an NAIA school about midway through his first semester. The reason publicly was he didn't feel he fit into the offense. The real reason was he could barely read. He was going to redshirt anyway, but he was taking remedial classes and was basically flunking those because he couldn't read. He wasn't dyslexic or anything, he was always such a good athlete that he was just passed through school. He never bothered to learn. He did end up playing in the NFL for a few years. He somehow graduated from college and is the proud owner of a degree in communications (probably). 

Illiteracy and graduation from a D1 school are not mutually exclusive.  As evidence, I offer Dexter Manley.

Taking a different tone, one of the best love stories I know involved a dyslexic man and his HS sweetheart.  He became a D2 natty champ well before dyslexia was something other than simple stupidity.  His GF read everything to him, helped him write, helped him complete his school work and kept him eligible for 4 years.  They married and lived almost 50 years together.  He graduated, became a teacher and a very successful HS wrestling coach.   The team he coached produced at least one D1 AA and many D1 wrestlers. 

20 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Illiteracy and graduation from a D1 school are not mutually exclusive.  As evidence, I offer Dexter Manley.

Taking a different tone, one of the best love stories I know involved a dyslexic man and his HS sweetheart.  He became a D2 natty champ well before dyslexia was something other than simple stupidity.  His GF read everything to him, helped him write, helped him complete his school work and kept him eligible for 4 years.  They married and lived almost 50 years together.  He graduated, became a teacher and a very successful HS wrestling coach.   The team he coached produced at least one D1 AA and many D1 wrestlers. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-43700153

On 4/30/2021 at 9:09 PM, Plasmodium said:

Being able to graduate from college while being illiterate means you cheated or had sympathetic professors who passed you despite an inability to read. I know there's some classes that require very little reading. But you still have to write and read to functionally pass college. 

On 5/2/2021 at 3:13 PM, TripNSweep said:

Being able to graduate from college while being illiterate means you cheated or had sympathetic professors who passed you despite an inability to read. I know there's some classes that require very little reading. But you still have to write and read to functionally pass college. 

You can have an IEP in college and be able to attend classes and set up ways of doing things different such as tests being all verbal. Additionally I hardly doubt any Professor would just pass on somebody who couldn't read, but I do know there are some teachers that give way too many chances 2 kids in college, which is why I believe that the coveted bachelor's degree has become somewhat watered down in society.

3 hours ago, Swayz said:

You can have an IEP in college and be able to attend classes and set up ways of doing things different such as tests being all verbal. Additionally I hardly doubt any Professor would just pass on somebody who couldn't read, but I do know there are some teachers that give way too many chances 2 kids in college, which is why I believe that the coveted bachelor's degree has become somewhat watered down in society.

It’s 504 that can be used in college not an IEP. 

12 hours ago, Swayz said:

In some places, athletes, especially football players, get all kinds of help and support regular students wouldn't. A friend of mine from high school was not an athlete in college but was dating the cheerleading captain and got access to all that. It's not that every player is dumb, they just want them worrying about football not passing classes. Tests are handed to them in advance, classes they would have to try to fail arranged, people taking tests for them, etc. I would think it's more common than a lot of us think. In high school I can give you a really bad example. The star tailback from my high school senior year got caught with 5 lbs of pot in his car. Literally nothing happened. He played college football. Police never got involved. He didn't miss a game. I'm sure worse things have occurred in places to avoid suspending star players. Athletes, especially star athletes get a pass in a lot of cases. 

2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

In some places, athletes, especially football players, get all kinds of help and support regular students wouldn't. A friend of mine from high school was not an athlete in college but was dating the cheerleading captain and got access to all that. It's not that every player is dumb, they just want them worrying about football not passing classes. Tests are handed to them in advance, classes they would have to try to fail arranged, people taking tests for them, etc. I would think it's more common than a lot of us think. In high school I can give you a really bad example. The star tailback from my high school senior year got caught with 5 lbs of pot in his car. Literally nothing happened. He played college football. Police never got involved. He didn't miss a game. I'm sure worse things have occurred in places to avoid suspending star players. Athletes, especially star athletes get a pass in a lot of cases. 

Weed is now legal,  so good compass on whoever made that call. Probably would have cost that kid the equivalent of his life.  Same thing happened in MN and I still believe JRob made the correct decision.

With respect to school,  North Carolina is a top notch school and they got caught giving out grades and credits BB players.

So again, people can pick and choose which laws are dumb and thus, don't have to follow them???  I think weed should be legal (even though I myself do not partake) but where I live it is still illegal so I wouldn't go have 5 lbs in my car.  And the weed, or authorities, or the law wouldn't have cost the kid the equivalent of his life, the KID and his choices would have cost the equivalent of his life.

But yes, it is clear, great athletes do get held to a different standard and it isn't right.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Weed is now legal,  so good compass on whoever made that call. Probably would have cost that kid the equivalent of his life.  Same thing happened in MN and I still believe JRob made the correct decision.

With respect to school,  North Carolina is a top notch school and they got caught giving out grades and credits BB players.

This was 20 years ago. Weed definitely was not something people did consider a big deal unlike now. This was also on school property which is a big no no still. 

On 5/1/2021 at 4:09 AM, Plasmodium said:

Dexter Manley not only "graduated" from Oklahoma State, he was still functionally illiterate when he signed his NFL contract! Supposedly he signed his NFL contract with an "X". It amazes me that OSU didn't get the death penalty for that debacle. Dirtiest NCAA football program by a country mile, so dirty they make OU look clean. 

Edited by TobusRex

Entertaining thread!  :-D

I was just looking to see if any junior college wrestlers would be jumping up the the NCAA level.  Instead I got an education on the failures of our education system.

Edited by OR