Sign in to follow this  
OR

JUCO wrestlers to NCAA?

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Dexter Manley not only "graduated" from Oklahoma State, he was still functionally illiterate when he signed his NFL contract! Supposedly he signed his NFL contract with an "X". It amazes me that OSU didn't get the death penalty for that debacle. Dirtiest NCAA football program by a country mile, so dirty they make OU look clean. 

"Growing up a superior athlete in Houston, Manley learned quickly that he could charm his way through most situations. He always went to class and sat in the front. He was polite and well behaved, and so his teachers kept passing him. Manley was eventually diagnosed with a learning disability in elementary school and was placed in a special-ed class where playing with blocks took the place of reading and writing. When he ended up in a middle school with no special-ed classes, he fell even further behind.

Manley's illiteracy followed him to Oklahoma State, where his perfect attendance and charm combined with his athlete status saw him through. He faked it when he needed to read something in class. When he had to sign forms, he filled out his name and address and had someone else do the rest. He used the same guise when filling out NFL contracts.

"When you're a good football player, you don't have to do too much of anything for yourself," Manley notes.

But when it came time to learn the playbook, his disability caught up with him."

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/6/23/8713273/dexter-manley

6 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Dexter Manley not only "graduated" from Oklahoma State, he was still functionally illiterate when he signed his NFL contract! Supposedly he signed his NFL contract with an "X". It amazes me that OSU didn't get the death penalty for that debacle. Dirtiest NCAA football program by a country mile, so dirty they make OU look clean. 

Every major football program has had that kind of thing happen. Manley is just one of the few to admit it publicly. I've known a few people who are/were functionally illiterate and it's a real struggle. Nobody wants to be thought of as being too dumb to read. You want to look at a football program out of control, just look at the kind of discipline Dirk Koetter had at ASU. Tolerating and covering up all kinds of things and it blew up in his face when one of his star players murdered a former player. This was also after they let Mitchell Freeman play after he bragged openly about murdering someone in his neighborhood. That was before he went on a rape spree and ended up in prison for life. 

On 5/4/2021 at 8:47 AM, TobusRex said:

I did a brief google on Manley.  Helluva guy.  He overcame a lot in his life, including illiteracy and serious health issues.