Sign in to follow this  
jackwebster

Challenge: explain how this happened

Ohhh... yup. My bad.

Edit: are you sure? The guy in the bridge has both arms between the other guy's legs. They look trapped. Im trying to figure out how a lace would end up looking like that. 

Edited by jackwebster

2 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Ohhh... yup. My bad.

Edit: are you sure? The guy in the bridge has both arms between the other guy's legs. They look trapped. Im trying to figure out how a lace would end up looking like that. 

Old school leg lace where you let your opponent figure four your arms. : )

That well might be a lace leg....look close ....that arm over the legs could belong to  the guy "sitting up"/getting turned.  You used to have to bridge to turn a guy....if you rolled across your shoulderc you gave up points too.

7 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

That well might be a lace leg....look close ....that arm over the legs could belong to  the guy "sitting up"/getting turned.  You used to have to bridge to turn a guy....if you rolled across your shoulderc you gave up points too.

Maybe, but I think the guy sitting up must have been in some terrible farming accident and had his arm reattached facing tbe wrong way.

2 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Maybe, but I think the guy sitting up must have been in some terrible farming accident and had his arm reattached facing tbe wrong way.

I don't know if you were being a smart aleck or what, but you are half right....lol....the guy sitting up has his rt. hand on the mat, but the guy doing the lace leg has his left hand lock on his right bicep/tricep.  :)

What about this: it looks similar to an MMA arm bar but instead of locking out the near arm, the far arm is pulled across the body. So, what if you have a leg(s) in and the bottom guy tries to shake you off/come out the back door. Say that as you're falling off to the left, you reach through your own legs and grab the guy's right wrist and pull it to you. As the guy continues to come out the back door, you keep pulling that far arm to you. Once his head is out, you now have both of his arms stuck between your legs (youre on your left shoulder). JUST (HAHAHA) figure four his arms as you roll across your left shoulder and presto!

If you can follow that description, Jean Luc Marion is next on the syllabus.

Edited by jackwebster

Syllabus.....thanks for reminding me....forgot I had this book in my coaching wrestling library......I Googled it tonight.....not many copies around......I saw a price of $500 twice....but, NOT FOR SALE!!!  Published in 1983/contributing technicians Don Behm, Gene Davis, Stan Dziedzic (also the author), Dan Gable, Russ Hellickson, Jim Humphrey, Ben Peterson and Ion Baciu (Romania).  So Jack, what do you want to call the technique demonstrated on the cover?  Fadz

syllabus

I'll try? Just trying to visualize this has been fun. 

Method 1: It starts out out as honest-to-goodness MMA-style cross arm breaker from mount for Wrestler A. Wrestler B tries to swing his free arm through the legs while curling his locked arm(bringing his arms close together). A anticipates this and uses his hands to help create the bundle before locking with his legs, then releases his own hands to elevate (since otherwise his hips are toast in the scramble). 

Method 2: Wrestler A creates an arm bundle in some way and throws B to his back with it. A is driving with hips high to keep B on his back; A's legs are more open than would be ideal.  They wind up in a scramble where B tries to roll through might be able to take his (still-bundled) arms out the back-door. A is able to block B's hip-through by throwing his far leg in sort of a crossface with the calf, but this loosens the arm bundle and A realizes he will lose it. A scoops with the far leg and tightens the other leg to finish with the position you see here. 

Method 3: catch a leg lacer napping as he's trying to switch sides sloppily or breaking a grip too early?

I don't know how you could possibly plan it. 

8 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

Syllabus.....thanks for reminding me....forgot I had this book in my coaching wrestling library......I Googled it tonight.....not many copies around......I saw a price of $500 twice....but, NOT FOR SALE!!!  Published in 1983/contributing technicians Don Behm, Gene Davis, Stan Dziedzic (also the author), Dan Gable, Russ Hellickson, Jim Humphrey, Ben Peterson and Ion Baciu (Romania).  So Jack, what do you want to call the technique demonstrated on the cover?  Fadz

syllabus

Ill look at it again after I have had my morning coffee, but it looks like a cross-face turk. The turk's got a little loose, so he's hanging on by scissoring the leg and praying the bottom guy doesn't turn in hard.

Edited by jackwebster

11 hours ago, justanidea said:

I'll try? Just trying to visualize this has been fun. 

Method 1: It starts out out as honest-to-goodness MMA-style cross arm breaker from mount for Wrestler A. Wrestler B tries to swing his free arm through the legs while curling his locked arm(bringing his arms close together). 

You're right. The arm bar is the best place to start if you want to plan this move. So, you should be able to initiate this move in every situation that looks like full-guard or mount (eg legs, waterfall /out-the back-door position after someone shoots, and when you'er in trouble after someone has taken you down and they ended up between your legs.)

Like the arm bar, you're gonna need a Winn-Dixie-type leg action/some kinda sweeping motion where you have your hamstring against the guy's chest and then whip it backwards . . . Hamstring against the guy's chest.

Edited by jackwebster

On 4/25/2021 at 3:20 PM, jackwebster said:

image.png.4a77a4135f84d8d90408229be865b241.png

How did Reed get this hold? It's like a bundle (called a barbed-wire (?) in some places) using you legs, right? Is it staged?

Wrong answers welcome, but I am curious if you could analyze, drill, and duplicate it.

This looks like a primitive version of an armbar immobilization which you see (i guess) relatives/derivatives of in jiu jitsu nowadays.  And anybody who’s been in one can attest, some dudes can hold you completely still with just there legs there.

Checkmat black belt chiming in - Definitely not a BJJ move, and would be extremely easy to disengage the far arm.  There is a bicep splitter that targets the near arm with both legs.  I use/used bundles from top a lot.  Bundling up then swinging around to the far side like you would getting into a mounted triangle could land you in this position fairly easily.  Holding it would be tough.

On 4/25/2021 at 3:20 PM, jackwebster said:

image.png.4a77a4135f84d8d90408229be865b241.png

How did Reed get this hold? It's like a bundle (called a barbed-wire (?) in some places) using you legs, right? Is it staged?

Wrong answers welcome, but I am curious if you could analyze, drill, and duplicate it.

DaFuq? I thought I saw this once in an ancient Indian Sanskrit text.

Edited by RealAmericanHero